Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Scouts, Inc. says it's Winslow-- at #7 or #8

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-09-2004, 06:47 PM   #1
joecrisp
The Starter

Scouts, Inc. says it's Winslow-- at #7 or #8

The Scouts, Inc. mock draft on ESPN Insider has the Redskins taking Kellen Winslow, Jr with the 7th or 8th pick in the draft, after trading down to Cleveland (#7) or Atlanta (#8). Here's their take on the Redskins' pick:

Quote:
If Gallery falls to the Redskins at No. 5, look for them to trade down a few spots to a team such as the Browns or Falcons, who both are desperate for offensive tackle help. In doing so, the Redskins likely still could get at No. 7 or 8 one of the two players they like -- Miami TE Kellen Winslow Jr. or S Sean Taylor. While the Redskins could go in either direction, it would not surprise us in the least if they took a chance on Winslow, especially considering how much Joe Gibbs covets tight ends in his offense. Winslow's immaturity on and off the field has turned off some NFL officials and could cause him to slip a little bit on draft day, but with so many veterans in place in Washington, Gibbs might feel comfortable taking the risk. Winslow's athleticism and pass-catching skills would create a lot of matchup problems for an offense that now includes QB Mark Brunell, RB Clinton Portis and WRs Lavernues Coles and Rod Gardner.
Here's their overall look at the first round:

1. Chargers-- Eli Manning, QB, Ole Miss
2. Raiders-- Mike Williams, WR, USC
3. Cardinals-- Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Pitt
4. Giants-- Ben Roethlisberger, QB, Miami-0hio
5. Redskins-- Kellen Winslow, Jr., TE, Miami
6. Lions-- Sean Taylor, S, Miami
7. Browns-- Robert Gallery, OT, Iowa
8. Falcons-- Tommie Harris, DT, Oklahoma
9. Jaguars-- Roy Williams, WR, Texas
10. Texans-- Vince Wilfork, DT, Miami
11. Steelers-- DeAngelo Hall, CB, Virginia Tech
12. Jets-- Chris Gamble, CB, Ohio State
13. Bills-- Philip Rivers, QB, NC State
14. Bears-- Randy Starks, DT, Maryland
15. Bucs-- Kenechi Udeze, DE, USC
16. 49ers-- Reggie Williams, WR, Washington
17. Bengals-- Dunta Robinson, CB, South Carolina
18. Saints-- Will Poole, CB, USC
19. Vikings-- Will Smith, DE, Ohio State
20. Dolphins-- Shawn Andrews, OT, Arkansas
21. Patriots-- Stephen Jackson, RB, Oregon State
22. Cowboys-- Kevin Jones, RB, Virginia Tech
23. Seahawks-- Jonathan Vilma, ILB, Miami
24. Broncos-- Ben Troupe, TE, Florida State
25. Packers-- Antwan Odom, DE, Alabama
26. Rams-- Derrick Strait, CB, Oklahoma
27. Titans-- Darnell Dockett, DT, Florida State
28. Eagles-- Michael Clayton, WR, LSU
29. Colts-- DJ Williams, OLB, Miami
30. Chiefs-- Ricardo Colclaugh, CB, Tusculum
31. Panthers-- Lee Evans, WR, Wisconsin
32. Patriots-- Karlos Dansby, OLB, Auburn
joecrisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-09-2004, 07:55 PM   #2
azskinsfan2
Special Teams

If we only trade down one or two slots what kind of additional pick might we get with it. I can't imagine getting a second round pick when the Browns or Falcons would only be moving up a couple of spots too!!!
Old 03-09-2004, 11:16 PM   #3
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

The Jags have signed Deon Grant so I think that might increase the likelihood of Sean Taylor being drafted by the Skins

One question though, did Roy Williams start right away for the Cowboys or was he eased in? Seems like FS is the type of position you might not be able to start a rookie at right away since that position does a lot of "quarterbacking" of the defense
Old 03-09-2004, 11:21 PM   #4
itvnetop
Playmaker

williams started the majority of his first year... he had his share of rookie mistakes, but the playing time he received his first year definitely helped his second year.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 08:52 AM   #5
cpayne5
Playmaker

Remember that Taylor is quicker and more agile than Williams, which will certainly help him with the transition to the NFL.
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 09:16 AM   #6
Spearhead
Camp Scrub

The skins stuff sounds right to me- Winslow or Taylor. Little trade-down maybe.
But wow- lots of shifting after the combine.

MWilliams going #2 over Fitz- even after Fitz charmed the pants off scouts at the combine? Wilfork jumps about 10-12 spots. Udeze going a little lower than I expected.

only really see one problem w/ the top of that draft:
I don't see Arizona picking up a WR with their #1. Denny Green need another star WR to eat up cap space? They might be right about that pick- wtf do I know? but I doubt it. Too many needs to fill.

Thanks for the info JC.
Spearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 10:16 PM   #7
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Well, apparently The Scouts, Inc. don't know much about Gibbs' offense. He simply doesn't need the type of TE that Winslow is -- nor does he need the inevitable whining he'll get from Winslow when he complains that he's not getting the ball enough.

Are the Giants ready to give up on Kerry Collins? Perhaps, since he was Fassel's guy. Gallery seems to be too good a fit for the Giants to pass up. But then, Gallery could be a Schottenheimer type of player, too. The Chargers need offensive line help almost as much as the Giants do. And I'll bet they're going to give Drew Brees at least another year before they make him walk the plank. If Robert Gallery is gone before the Giants pick, The Scouts Inc. could be right about Roesthlisberger going to NY.

As far as Oakland goes, Norv is likely to go for a new rookie QB to mold. He's now much more experienced after the Heath Shuler debacle. Either Fitzgerald or Mike Williams are possibilities I suppose, but I'm leaning towards a QB for the Raiders. Norv needs a quarterback of his very own, first and foremost.

The real wild card is Arizona. Dennis Green could go either way with a QB or WR.

Ultimately, I'd love for the Skins to be able to trade down for an additional 2nd or 3rd and 4th -- PLUS get Sean Taylor. That would be the trade of all trades!
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 11:05 PM   #8
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Winslow really isn't that big of a whiner. He said give me the ball once, which lots of players say. I mean, Winslow is a spectacular talent. I'm glad I'm not in the position the FO is, I couldn't pick!
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote