Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Now that they're gone

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-06-2004, 06:37 PM   #16
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by giacomo2
With all this talent and experience we have on the Dline, there's only one thing missing....Udeze!!! Just imagine him coming off the end with that raw speed and strength. Then imagine Lavar coming from the other side...this is what all redskin fans have been waiting/dreaming of for years. I say trade down and pick up a second round pick...then draft udeze, and with that second round pick...Im sure JoeG. will find a gem. HAIL REDSKINS!!!!!
Ah my friend you do err, If udeze is the good's I would pass up taylor to get him, but I would rush lavar from the same side as udeze now that would be very difficult to defend.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-07-2004, 08:45 AM   #17
johnnyredskin63
Special Teams

Thumbs up

i really do'nt think it matters who we do or do not get in the draft.why?because gibbs and his coaching staff always get the best out of the players they have.if gibbs says he can win with vets as opposed to rookies,he can.
HAIL TO THE REDSKINS
always remember ladies and germs-THE COWBOYS SUCK
johnnyredskin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 09:44 AM   #18
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I honestly think if Spurrier had the assistants Gibbs had our Defense would have been in the top 15 and we would have been in the hunt for the playoffs. I think our D Line did look pathetic, but the rest of our defense which had tons of talent didn't exactly look great. I think Daniels/Wynn/Noble/Griffin will give us a lot more push than last year. I still see us signing a few not-so-big named D line people.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 10:25 AM   #19
RedskinPete
The Starter

Daseal are you sure about Noble????

His leg was hurt bad last year and many I have read said it takes two years to really come back from something like this! So I really don't see him in the mix! That is why we will need someone else in the middle and the out side. With only one pick left trade down looks like it. To get more picks or wait and hope for more cuts in June! Still like Winslow!!!
RedskinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 11:49 AM   #20
silent1903
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
I honestly think if Spurrier had the assistants Gibbs had our Defense would have been in the top 15 and we would have been in the hunt for the playoffs.
You could well be right....a few experienced NFL coaches telling SS to run a decent pro system instead of his Glum and Gun, or whatever it was called....
silent1903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 12:34 PM   #21
MTK
\m/

Well, Spurrier chose his own staff and quit rather than replace them, so I guess we could say if Spurrier was as smart as Gibbs...
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 12:53 PM   #22
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I'm not sure about Noble, but last I heard he was healing faster than expected. He might not be a 4 quarter guy, but I think we can get him in on certain situations.

Matty, Spurrier didn't have near the pull Gibbs has. Gibbs is a proven coach who is very good at convincing people. That's one of his strong points. Hypothetically speaking I think if Spurrier had the assistants Gibbs has the team would have been much improved. Spurriers offense didn't do THAT bad. When we actually had the ball, some games they had our number completely, but a lot of games we scored enough points to win but our defense just did nothing.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:53 PM   #23
MTK
\m/

Daseal, I'm not sure why you feel the need to defend Spurrier all the time. The guy was a total flop at the NFL level. Once Lewis left he was completely lost. And the most telling thing was the offense regressed in his second year despite having more talent. Check out the numbers from 2002 compared to 2003, the offense was much worse across the board.

Some important stats to note:

Points per game:
2002: 19.2
2003: 17.9

Passing yards per game:
2002: 203.4
2003: 187.9

Rushing yards per game:
2002: 118.1
2003: 103.3

Third down %:
2002: 39.8
2003: 34

Penalties:
2002: 116-972
2003: 124-1038

First downs:
2002: 303
2003: 272

He couldn't protect the QB, he refused to committ to running the ball, he wavered back and forth between doing things his way one week, then the next week he would have another "gameplan", and the well documented discipline problems were just inexcusable.

He is a great college coach but at the NFL level he just couldn't cut it. His gimmicky offense was quickly diagnosed and eaten alive by NFL defenses. The only way he would have had success was if he scrapped his fun 'n' gun and went with a more traditional pro style of offense, and ultimately that's what led to him walking away, he realized he wasn't going to be successful doing it "his way", so why bother?

The arguement that Gibbs has more pull so that's why he's put together a better staff doesn't hold much water to me. If Spurrier did his homework on putting together a staff Snyder would have gotten him the guys he needed. Instead, Spurrier had no clue how important coaching was at this level and went about "promoting" his college staff to the NFL where they were equally unqualified and out of their element as he was.

Spurrier didn't even know how to run a training camp for gods' sake, Lewis was here in year 1 to basically be his mentor, (smart move by Snyder by the way). It's no surprise to me that the team fell apart after Lewis left, he was the glue that was holding things together.

The thing about Spurrier is he never really seemed dedicated to learning the ropes of the NFL and putting in the blood, sweat and tears to make it happen. He assumed he could bring his high flying offense to the NFL and that would overcome everything else like coaching and leadership. He was in way over his head in the NFL and he all but admitted that by quitting after 2 seasons and leaving $15M on the table.

And there's no comparison to him and guys like Jimmy Johnson who also struggled initially. The huge difference lies in their work ethics, or in Spurrier's case his lack thereof.

The one thing I can respect about Spurrier is he realized this "experiment" wasn't working and he handed the keys back to Snyder and said go find someone who can make this work.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:01 PM   #24
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

The NFL Just wasent for Spurrier. I thought he was a stand up guy, and I legitmetley felt bad that his experiment didnt work. Him leaving, however, was best for him , and the Redskins.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 05:03 PM   #25
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I've always been a Spurrier fan and I always will be. Did he make mistakes, sure. I also said hypothetically if he had the staff we have now, he would have done fine in the NFL, a point you don't seem to be contending.

If Gibbs goes and asks a great defensive coordinator to come to Washington he'll be much more likely to get him than Spurrier. I don't know how you can contest this. Coordinators want to go to teams with a shot just like players do. That's part of it.

As you said, Lewis was the glue. When we had a respectable defense of course our offense will perform better. Why don't you pull total possessions per game out of that stat sheet. You should see there were far less this year than last.

I think Spurrier can still be a head coach. He saw where his mistakes were and needs to fix him. I also think his work ethic is slightly under played. Yes, he'd leave early but I'm sure it wasn't all golf and sun for Spurrier. He has tons of room for improvement, but who doesnt.

Here's a question for you, what if Gibbs goes 7-9 two years in a row. Are you going to jump all over him and say he can't coach at the NFL level anymore? Doubt it, you'll blame it on tons of circumstances. Just how it is when it's 'your guy.' Spurrier needed a better staff to be successful, he should have had Snyder upgrade, but he didn't know it would be so dreadful till last year. It's not like he had a long run.
Old 03-07-2004, 07:04 PM   #26
EEich
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
I think Spurrier can still be a head coach. He saw where his mistakes were and needs to fix him. I also think his work ethic is slightly under played. Yes, he'd leave early but I'm sure it wasn't all golf and sun for Spurrier. He has tons of room for improvement, but who doesnt.
Lets just hope he's the Cowboys' next head coach.

Last edited by EEich; 03-07-2004 at 07:09 PM.
EEich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 07:34 PM   #27
Jamaican'Skin
The Starter

Wishful thinking.
Jamaican'Skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 07:41 PM   #28
MTK
\m/

Spurrier did have a quality defensive coordinator in Lewis. Are you saying he wouldn't have been able to land Williams as DC if he had stayed?? C'mon now, money talks just as much as "having a shot". Williams was the target for DC before Spurrier even left.

Gibbs is smart enough to surround himself with a quality staff, why? Because he knows the value of coaching and leadership. Spurrier clearly missed the boat on this concept. He thought his offense would overcome everything.

Spurrier is just another great college coach that couldn't hack it in the pros.
Old 03-07-2004, 07:59 PM   #29
SittingBull
Camp Scrub

Spurrier is a great coach but one thing I despised about him was his lackadaisical attitude from the middle of the season on. In the beginning you could see he was determined with play calling and how the games were going but then he just looked like he gave up. Even when your initial plan is failing or failed I dont think a coach should just give up and hope for the best like he did. A good coach adapts and tries to focus on strengths and hide or make weaknesses negligble as much as possible. Spurrier didnt seem interested in doing that.
SittingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 10:12 PM   #30
Ghost
Special Teams

Spurrier does not have what it takes to succeed on the pro level. Right now we're watching how a real coach assembles his team, how he prepares for a season. Gibbs ain't playing golf ... he's pulling all-nighters. If Spurrier put the time in and showed the level of dedication, discipline and commitment that is required, he would probably have been okay but he didn't and that's why he's unemployed today. Thank God Spurrier had the good sense to see that it wasn't working, because Snyder sure didn't ... if Steve hadn't walked away we would have had to endure another disappointing season.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote