Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Falcons emulating Gibbs, with interest in Garcia?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-07-2004, 09:20 AM   #1
joecrisp
The Starter

Falcons emulating Gibbs, with interest in Garcia?

Garcia visits Falcons

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/ATL/7149170

Perhaps a sign that Gibbs' pursuit of a big-name veteran QB to pair with a young, rising star QB isn't so silly after all? After all, if Rich McKay (one of the most respected GMs in the league) thinks it's a good idea to bring in a high-priced veteran like Garcia to backup Vick, does it not make Gibbs and Snyder look a little less foolish for throwing all that money at Brunell, despite Ramsey's promising future?

Granted, the Redskins gave up a 3rd round pick to acquire a QB that would have been released, while the Falcons are pursuing a free agent that won't require any draft pick compensation. That point I'm not going to argue-- the Redskins needed that draft pick, and spent it needlessly. They gave Brunell more money than anyone would have been willing to spend on him as a free agent anyway. But at the very least, the Falcons' interest in Garcia underscores the fact that other teams may be following Gibbs' example and heeding the notion that having two top-flite QBs is of paramount importance to building a winner. The Falcons would know...
joecrisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-07-2004, 09:31 AM   #2
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

The falcons whole team revolves around Vick. He's the single best player in the league and I don't know many people who don't at least respect his skill. I'm not so sure Garcia will want to ride the bench.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 11:11 AM   #3
azskinsfan2
Special Teams

Maybe the Falcons are sure Vick is totally healed yet or are thinking about the possiblity that he could get hurt again and they'd be totally screwed again. I can't see Garcia being happy sitting on the bench either though.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:13 AM   #4
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Yeah, my post was a big ambigious. I basicly don't think Garcia will be happy on the bench, but the falcons need a solid backup. A dilfer or AJ Feely type player is all they need. Someone besides Doug Johnston.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:41 PM   #5
MTK
\m/

I'm not sure if this is a case of the Falcons emulating Gibbs or they just learned a hard lesson after they fell apart with Vick out of the lineup.

I don't think Garcia would be a threat to beat out Vick. Garcia still has 2-3 starting seasons left in him, I doubt he'll go to the ATL. I'm surprised someone like Miami isn't all over him.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 03:10 PM   #6
dieselhog
Special Teams

Really can't see this haoppening, maybe garcia just likes Atlanta.

Apparently Vick went straight to Arthur Blank about this.

I have a feeling that Garcia will end up in either Tampa or Miami and I would not be at all surprised if he landed in Oakland....
dieselhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 03:42 PM   #7
EEich
The Starter

I lost alot of respect in Vick when I heard he went to Blank... This crybaby sat around babying his leg, waiting until he was 100%, while his teammates suffered through an embarrassing season behind a bunch of backup QBs that had no business being in the NFL. Now he's feeling a little vulnerable because they want to hire someone who may actually save his team from repeating that dreadful season. If he's not confident about keeping his starting role with Garcia in the mix, maybe he's not all that great after all. Wow.
EEich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 04:03 PM   #8
Ghost
Special Teams

Does anyone think Garcia's skills have eroded, kind of like Kurt Warner? We may see both playing back-up this year. No one in SF seems too sorry to see Garcia go. I think something's going on with him, no sure what.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 04:56 PM   #9
saden1
MVP

Come on, It is not like Gibbs came up with the concept of having a veteran backup. Garcia is a very good QB and should have been signed already. Last year, the SF O-Line was just abysmal. They couldn't give him any time whatsoever.

I think he'll end up a cowboy because they sure as hell don't have a sound QB.

Last edited by saden1; 03-07-2004 at 05:15 PM.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 05:06 PM   #10
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Garcia has had some law trouble and really isn't a top tier QB. Apparently the phins orginization seems happy with AJ Feely.

Why shouldn't Vick go straight to Blank? When they bring someone in who wants your job, you'd get suspicious and a bit upset wouldn't you? I think you would. There should be a clear line on your team between starters and backups. Quarterback controverseys are bad. Gibbs better decide really fast this year who our starter is. I don't want any type of controversy. It can tear a team apart.

I hope he makes the right decesion and doesn't run Ramsey out of town.
Old 03-07-2004, 05:15 PM   #11
saden1
MVP

All Vick needs to know is "If you get hurt we want some insurance policy and if you can't beat out this guy then why do you deserve to star?"

Honestly, if you are not up to par when doing your job in the real world, you’re a goner no matter what. If you don't have the confidante to beat out anyone your boss brings in then you are probably not up to snuff. I mean, I have all the advantage over a new person just like Vick would over anyone they bring in. And with all that advantage you’re gonna tell me it is ok to whine and cry? Plus it is not like Vick is being asked to train his replacement.

Vick is a punk if he whent to Blank.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 05:53 PM   #12
joecrisp
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1
Come on, It is not like Gibbs came up with the concept of having a veteran backup..
No, the idea of having a veteran backup is not a new one. It's as old as football. What is rare in the free agency era, and what has been the source of so much ridicule directed towards Gibbs, is the idea of paying top free agent dollars for a big-name, starter-quality veteran QB when a young, franchise QB appeared to be entrenched as the starter. Critics point to Gibbs' inexperience with the salary cap and free agency and call such a strategy foolish. They say, "Gibbs might have done that before (stockpiling QBs), but you just can't do that now-- not with the salary cap!" But suppose McKay were in fact to sign Garcia to a big-dollar contract similar to Brunell's. Would people throw as much criticism McKay's way as they did Gibbs, or is the move hailed as a stroke of genius-- despite it's salary cap implications-- simply because of McKay's reputation as a GM, and the Falcon's experience with the disastrous consequences of not having a talented backup QB?
Old 03-07-2004, 06:36 PM   #13
joecrisp
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
Garcia has had some law trouble and really isn't a top tier QB.
Steve McNair had some trouble with the law, too, and that didn't stop people from voting him the league's co-MVP. I'm sure you're aware Garcia holds the Niners record for passing yards in a single season, a career TD-to-INT ratio of 2:1, and a career passer rating of 88.3 (good for 4th all-time, and better than that of Tom Brady, Daunte Culpepper, Donovan McNabb, Steve McNair, Brett Favre or Peyton Manning, by the way). How does that disqualify him as a top-tier quarterback?

Quote:
Why shouldn't Vick go straight to Blank? When they bring someone in who wants your job, you'd get suspicious and a bit upset wouldn't you? I think you would. .
I'd be a little concerned if I were Vick, too. After all, Greg Knapp is the new offensive coordinator in Atlanta. Guess where he was last year, and who he coached the last five years?

Quote:
There should be a clear line on your team between starters and backups. Quarterback controverseys are bad. Gibbs better decide really fast this year who our starter is. I don't want any type of controversy. It can tear a team apart.

I hope he makes the right decesion and doesn't run Ramsey out of town.
A quarterback controversy can be destructive on a team where the inmates run the asylum (see "Steve Spurrier era"), but Joe Gibbs has a way of keeping the peace in the locker room, and promoting harmony where there would otherwise be dischord. In this case, the quarterback competition will enhance the performance of both QBs, and if it is indeed a competition in the truest sense-- as Joe Gibbs swears it will be-- the team will benefit.

If Ramsey loses the competition and is unable to swallow his pride for the sake of the team, then the team is better off without him anyway. I like Ramsey, and I think he has a legitimate shot at being the starter this year (I know I'm in the miniscule minority on that one), but if Ramsey tries to undermine Gibbs' authority in the locker room, then he's not the man I thought he was, and he's got to go.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:01 PM   #14
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I haven't forgotten Garcia's records, but he's also not my favorite QB. I've never liked him and I don't think I ever will.

I don't think Vick will ever get benched for Garcia because the fans would absolutly flip. Vick is the best thing that has ever happened to that franchise!

A quarterback controversy or competition whichever you want to call it will split the team, in my opinion. Some players will be pulling for one guy or another and could maybe not play as hard if the other guy is in. We know this shouldn't be the case, but it does happen. The team needs to know who the starter is early and I personally see Brunell as a mistake. Hard to gain much experience on the bench. He'll learn some from Brunell I'm sure, but I think Spurrier also taught him a lot about quarterbacking. Say what you will but Spurrier is an excellent QB coach.

Everyone knows I like Spurrier, I've defended him in every post and I'm not going to do it again. If you want to know my feelings just look through old posts and you'll find them.

Whoops, forgot the site crashed, well there's one with my opinion, that wraps it up. I also think Ramsey can beat Brunell out. If not Brunell is as tough as a wet paper bag so he'll play anyways, especially when Jansen, Ramsey's best friend lets a few guys loose!
Old 03-07-2004, 11:44 PM   #15
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

Garcia is good, but a bit past prime, and his back is suspect. But he's played at an all-pro level in the NFL for years. He's a great QB, and would make an excellent backup to Vick.

And if they had to learn this from Gibbs, then I can see why he didn't want to coach there! C'mon, Vick goes down and their whole season collapese. If they aren't in the market for a backup, they should have their heads examined. (Oh, yeah: Note to Jets: You could probably use a backup too. Duh.)