F 1 1.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2020, 08:15 AM   #481
irish
Playmaker

Re: Ron Rivera Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Didn't Carolinas owner get canned while RR was coach. Not sure how functional they were. Maybe better then Snyders Skins but they had issues. Let's see how RR does. So far i am good with the direction and pace the organization has taken.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
He was forced to sell because of sexual misconduct and racial comments. It was more of a personal thing with him than an organization-wide problem like WFT had. I hope RR works out but coaches with better resumes and Super Bowl wins haven't had success working for DS so I'm not holding out much hope for RR.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-18-2020, 01:19 PM   #482
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
May be a bit premature but...

Former #Panthers coach Ron Rivera has emerged as a top coaching candidate & has told people he expects a deal to come together quickly, sources say. It could even be 24 hours after Week 17 ends. The #Redskins have interest, tho other teams without openings yet are also circling.

Also from Jay Glazer " Ron Rivera will sign a deal with Washington tonight to make him the teams next HC"

Winning record ✅
Leader ✅
Playoffs & SB experience ✅
Defensive focus 😏

All of these have already come to reality.

I am a HUGE Rivera guy and I'm all in on this process. Dude is a winner and leader. Huge hire for this organization
Old 09-18-2020, 02:51 PM   #483
GridIron26
Playmaker

It's still too early but yes so far, it looks like to be an amazing hire by Snyder..
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:17 PM   #484
Back2RFK
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
All of these have already come to reality.

I am a HUGE Rivera guy and I'm all in on this process. Dude is a winner and leader. Huge hire for this organization
After yesterday you have to also add quiter.
Back2RFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:54 PM   #485
Warthog
The Starter

I wasn’t too happy with several aspects of the Cardinals game by Rivera.
1. We ended the game with 3 timeouts. Rivera said he did it to reduce injuries, essentially in a game we were outplayed and lost. If Dallas had done the same thing, they wouldn’t have WON their game with an on-side kick and a FG! Fight until the end and make the Cardinals earn their victory.
Smacked of Gruden and Rivera is thinking too much long-term and not building a reputation as a wild eyed pirate who will fight to the last minute.

2. Same with kicking a FG when we were behind 20-0. He said he wanted to give the team 3 points in case that was our only score. Go for it on fourth down and get 7 points! BE RIVERBOAT RIVERA!

3. Why aren’t they trying out FA this week? Are we happy with how Aptke or Christian or the TE are playing? Are they going to keep them all season if they continue to suck?

I really like Rivera and his character and his being the high honor type person after 2 decades of Snyder’s sludge. But I think he has already written off this season as a practice and player tryout. There are too many holes to fix in one years draft. Why aren’t they bringing in Roberts or some other top WR FA to see if we can get a legitimate #2 WR NOW?

Bring in some one-year OL guys to see if we can get a replacement for Christian or Martin? Those guys, unless they get a helluva lot better NOW, won’t be on this team next year. See what FA are out there and get a diamond-in-the-rough NOW!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 11:16 AM   #486
jamf
Pro Bowl

Interesting article about the teams coaching staff.
https://deadspin.com/dwayne-haskins-...tur-1845339489

I mentioned in the offseason that I didn't like that Rivera and DelRio had their kids on the coaching staff. Add Turner and Zampese to the mix and you have a coaching staff of privileged kids that never earned shit in their lives.

DH was improving with Kevin O'Connell. Rivera made a mistaking going with Turner over O'Connel as OC.

If the team doesn't get their shit together, I would be willing to force Rivera out at the end of the year.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 11:42 AM   #487
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
Interesting article about the teams coaching staff.
https://deadspin.com/dwayne-haskins-...tur-1845339489

I mentioned in the offseason that I didn't like that Rivera and DelRio had their kids on the coaching staff. Add Turner and Zampese to the mix and you have a coaching staff of privileged kids that never earned shit in their lives.

DH was improving with Kevin O'Connell. Rivera made a mistaking going with Turner over O'Connel as OC.

If the team doesn't get their shit together, I would be willing to force Rivera out at the end of the year.
KOC should've been named HC. That would have been the exciting choice.

But I like Ron and am calling this year a wash. Gonna reserve judgment on him until next year. With COVID, getting cancer, having a shitty roster, etc., the odds were stacked against him 100%.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 11:57 AM   #488
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Team needs a lot more talent on offense before bitching about it. The front office needs to do a better job in pursuing it.

They disregarded TE, missed on some Oline picks so far, disregard WR position. Of course QB has been a disaster...Haskins, Alex Smith...

Not gonna bash it, build around the running game. Oline, TE...of course get a competent QB

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:00 AM   #489
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Rivera has a very good record and went to the SB. It remains to see how he will do here in Washington but I am optimistic.

The BIGGEST change that he has already been made was to FORCE owner Dan Snyder to make many concessions before Rivera would even be INTERVIEWED. Snyder had to give up his prior meddling in the team’s affairs, any inputs into personnel decision-making and using a proxy GM like Allen and Cerrato to do his bidding regarding football operations. All that is gone. I doubt any future HC will want anything less from Snyder.

The name change issue and the allegations of sexual harassment within the organization have made Snyder even more dependent on Rivera to fix the the many, many problems of this franchise. Snyder needs Rivera MUCH MORE than the reverse.

If Rivera is successful as the HC, it will increase his power in the organization even more. Dan Snyder needs either to sell the team or just STFU and let NFL-savvy people like Rivera to run ALL the operations there. Everything Snyder has touched in his 20-year tenure as owner has gone to absolute shitte. He’s lucky to get a real achiever like Rivera onboard. This team can only go up with Rivera. Not only because he’s a real true-believer in a good football culture, but also because Snyder can not continue to hurt the team with his meddlesome and harmful interference in the team’s personnel decisions or daily operations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The narrative that RR has a very good record just isn't true. In 9 years as Carolina HC he had 3 winning seasons. Those three winning seasons have high win totals and a SB appearance but the majority of his HC career isn't successful.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:10 AM   #490
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
The narrative that RR has a very good record just isn't true. In 9 years as Carolina HC he had 3 winning seasons. Those three winning seasons have high win totals and a SB appearance but the majority of his HC career isn't successful.
He was the best we could get but that doesn't mean he will come in and start winning games. I think we need to give him 3 full years to judge but yeah overall he's just an average HC
Old 10-14-2020, 09:31 AM   #491
MTK
\m/

We're starting to learn a few things about Ron. #1 Not a good clock manager, likes to leave timeouts in his pocket. #2 Not a great communicator with the media, he's all over the place at times. To be fair on this one I'm not sure how much of that is due to him being ill, very well could explain a lot. Anyone who knows someone that goes through chemo knows that chemo brain or chemo fog is a very real thing.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:34 AM   #492
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
We're starting to learn a few things about Ron. #1 Not a good clock manager, likes to leave timeouts in his pocket. #2 Not a great communicator with the media, he's all over the place at times. To be fair on this one I'm not sure how much of that is due to him being ill, very well could explain a lot. Anyone who knows someone that goes through chemo knows that chemo brain or chemo fog is a very real thing.
The clock stuff was really odd since he preached "We are in this thing" the media stuff is what it is, he does the normal coach talk "We just have to get better" says it every week but the Alex Smith thing was really odd, he let him finish the game when Allen was cleared to come back in at HT... Then starts Allen this week
Old 10-14-2020, 09:50 AM   #493
SunnySide
Playmaker

Rivera didn’t want to put Kyle Allen back in after he was cleared because he didn’t want Allen to take another shot.
— JP Finlay (@JPFinlayNBCS) October 11, 2020

---------------

I can understand Ron not wanting to send Kyle Allen back in with an arm injury to protect him, even if he was cleared to go back.

I think the head scratch is that in doing so, youre not "protecting" Alex Smith. I guess the thinking is, the second Alex Smith takes a live snap his prior injury is in the past. Kyle Allen had an injury in the present. If he didnt think it was safe to send Alex Smith back out in the second half .. then he shouldnt/wouldnt have made Alex the active #2 on Sunday and wouldnt send Alex Smith out in the first half.

Alex Smith needs to play with no memory of his prior injury. If Alex and medical staff say he is a full go, Ron is going to treat him as if he is a full go.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:48 AM   #494
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Rick Snyder was on the Sports Junkies talking about how RR might not be used to the aggressive/hostile media in DC and that's why he seems all over the place. I think there is some credence to that argument.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:57 AM   #495
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Rick Snyder was on the Sports Junkies talking about how RR might not be used to the aggressive/hostile media in DC and that's why he seems all over the place. I think there is some credence to that argument.
Yeah maybe, but he also played in Chicago. He should know how to handle the media.