Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Why Hasn't Anyone Talked About-A Possible Cancellation?

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Most likely scenario for the 2020 NFL season?
Starts on time and all regular season and playoff games are played 3 13.64%
Starts on time but doesn't finish 4 18.18%
Starts late but finishes 3 13.64%
Starts late but doesn't finish 2 9.09%
Stops and starts but finishes 2 9.09%
Stops and starts but doesn't finish 1 4.55%
Entire season canceled, no games played 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2020, 03:37 PM   #16
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Re: Why Hasn't Anyone Talked About-A Possible Cancellation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
if we don't have a handle on it by July, this country is in serious trouble, that is 3 months from now, with the virus having about a 4 month curve. Obviously, we don't have a full view yet of the US situation, but with testing in much higher gear, and the protective orders taking hold, I expect/hope we have a reasonable expectation of understanding it's scope within the next month, and by July whatever the new norm is, life will have moved into it's new path with regards to coronavirus.
This will not happen if POTUS follows through with his statements on trying to have everything return to normal by Easter. Not going to get into political aspect of things here, but if that happens, this will likely not be over with by July. We really need to take this one day at a time, one week at a time, one month at a time. There are too many unknowns right now to make any declarations about July.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-26-2020, 03:54 PM   #17
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
This will not happen if POTUS follows through with his statements on trying to have everything return to normal by Easter. Not going to get into political aspect of things here, but if that happens, this will likely not be over with by July. We really need to take this one day at a time, one week at a time, one month at a time. There are too many unknowns right now to make any declarations about July.
Also sorry for adding to the politics but that was not at all what POTUS said/meant. He did mean that there are areas of the country that could move to normal faster than others. NYC, for example, isn't going to be normal by easter, but Ames Iowa, for example, might be.

I tend to keep the belief and hope that the US is stronger and more resilient than this virus even using a 4 month outlook

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:24 PM   #18
sandtrapjack
The Starter

It will the affect season. Sure the preseason is in August. But the draft is in jeopardy, training facilities are locked, rookie and veteran mini camps are in jeopardy, offseason workouts and OTAs are in jeopardy. Some or all of these activities will be cancelled.

Maybe they start the season on time. But the loss of the offseason activities will have an adverse affect on what happens in September.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:01 PM   #19
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
.... He did mean that there are areas of the country that could move to normal faster than others. NYC, for example, isn't going to be normal by easter, but Ames Iowa, for example, might be.

I tend to keep the belief and hope that the US is stronger and more resilient than this virus even using a 4 month outlook
Can you have an NFL season without fans in the stadium?

Getting herded like cattle into a stadium for a sporting event or concert is going to riskier than banging a Thai Ladyboy without a rubber.

Most people not in the healthcare industry are going to be faced with job/money insecurities till there is a full economic rebound so people are going to cut spending.

Sports Arenas are designed to herd humans, not social distancing. Could you imagine what the line to take a piss at Fedex Field would look like if they followed the 6 foot rule? You would have to remove half the urinals at least and the line would start by the metro station.

No vaccine, no fans in the stands.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:07 PM   #20
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
Can you have an NFL season without fans in the stadium?

Getting herded like cattle into a stadium for a sporting event or concert is going to riskier than banging a Thai Ladyboy without a rubber.

Most people not in the healthcare industry are going to be faced with job/money insecurities till there is a full economic rebound so people are going to cut spending.

Sports Arenas are designed to herd humans, not social distancing. Could you imagine what the line to take a piss at Fedex Field would look like if they followed the 6 foot rule? You would have to remove half the urinals at least and the line would start by the metro station.

No vaccine, no fans in the stands.
Purell showers while standing in line?
A player is down when a defender comes with in 2 yds? All defenders must give a 6 ft buffer?

Seriously though, no one has ideas on the exact next steps, but 4-6 months is a very long time for the scientists to be devoting their energies to it not to mention the computing power at work as well. We may see other medical breakthroughs as a part of the extreme conditions right now
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:16 PM   #21
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Redskins game time hazmat suits coming soon to a store near you.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:02 PM   #22
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Also sorry for adding to the politics but that was not at all what POTUS said/meant. He did mean that there are areas of the country that could move to normal faster than others. NYC, for example, isn't going to be normal by easter, but Ames Iowa, for example, might be.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I'm not sure what sources you are reading, but you are adding nuance and context to the President's context that were not present his his actual comments on the matter. I watched him speak live.

Basically, you are hoping he won't be as reckless with American lives as his comments suggest - which will hopefully be the case.

You are also hoping this virus will become irrelevant by July - which will also hopefully be the case.

In both instances, I would LOVE to believe your optimistic view becomes our reality. I want you to be 100% right. But I don't think we can assume that will be the case. To be clear, I am not proclaiming doom and gloom and saying we are in for a worst-case scenario - I'm just saying we have to take this one step at a time and see where we land. Things could take a turn for the worst and then suddenly get better. Or the opposite could happen. We just need to wait and see.

Quote:
Purell showers while standing in line?
A player is down when a defender comes with in 2 yds? All defenders must give a 6 ft buffer?
LOL! Thank you for injecting some levity into the thread!
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:32 PM   #23
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Nobody goes to Fedex anyway

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2020, 11:12 PM   #24
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Nobody goes to Fedex anyway

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Or at least, not enough to threaten the social distancing standards in effect today.
Pervis_Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 05:35 AM   #25
AnonEmouse
The Starter

The problem you guys face is that if you try to return to 'normal' too soon you risk a 2nd explosion of the virus, and the way it appears your government is talking they would rather risk that than further impact the economy. Seems to me the best option to get back to anything like normal is to have a full lockdown and ride it out for a few weeks than face a recurring issue over the next 2-3 months. Our government hesitated too long but at least now it seems to be manageable with the lockdown working.

For the NFL it's a matter of starting the off-season schedule c. 2 months late and condensing the programs where possible. It's doable, but if the virus is still having an impact in May, June etc. no way.

And there is precedent of sorts for the NFL; the strike season involved quickly putting together teams that while not 1st class were entertaining. A similar attitude could easily make the 20/21 season viable.
AnonEmouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:27 AM   #26
MTK
\m/

Trump can talk about Easter all he wants but places like NY are going to be under tight restrictions for a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2020, 09:31 AM   #27
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Trump can talk about Easter all he wants but places like NY are going to be under tight restrictions for a while

He's just saying that so be "Positive" We all know that shit ain't happening. Cases are growing everywhere daily.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:54 AM   #28
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
He's just saying that so be "Positive" We all know that shit ain't happening. Cases are growing everywhere daily.

He likes to live in his own reality

Old 03-27-2020, 11:17 AM   #29
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
He likes to live in his own reality

I must've clicked on the wrong thread. I'll see myself out.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:26 AM   #30
MTK
\m/

Let’s check in around Easter and see how open for business we are