We'll have those results...after the break
haha
Old 03-07-2011, 02:28 PM   #34
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Re: 2011 NFL Mock Draft thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I'm not sure I invited any of you on to my Ponder bandwagon...

Admittedly though, I go back and forth on whether Ponder will just be solid or if he has the chance to be great. I think at worst, he's solid. Locker on the other hand, could be far more impressive but at worst he could be abysmal. I guess it's about the risk you want to take.

There's been some McElroy rumors too, but if that were to happen it's not happening in the 1st two rounds
McElroy isn't my favorite of the mid-late round guys, but too often, guys in that 4th-6th round range don't get the same opportunity as rookies that 1st rounders get. On this team, if we addressed QB in the fourth round, they would get a shot to play as a rookie.

Ultimately, that's why Kyle Orton is relevant in this league and why every other fourth round QB since is irrelevant. Orton played (and was horrible) as a rookie because the Bears had no one else. Grossman was supposed to be the starter for that team, but was hurt in the preseason (his broken leg year). Just drawing the obvious parallel.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #35
skinster
Impact Rookie

1. Panthers-Gabbert-new head coach needs a franchise qb and someone to give him job security for a few years.
2. Broncos-Bowers-John Fox is gonna want his Julius Peppers back
3. Bills- Nick Fairley- CJ spiller pick tells us they draft for athleticism, and they need help at the DE position. They want a qb like theres no tomorrow, so Newton might be a pick here, but I really just don't believe anyone besides Gabbert is going in the top 10...then again they do like to reach for precieved need (Spiller).
4. Bengals-Marcell Dareus- they don't need a corner, and Simpson/Caldwell shined when they started the last three games. Plus they have Shipley and Gresham.
5. Cardinals-Von Miller- Wisenhunt comes from Pittsburgh where they don't care as much about corners (granted he was their oc, I still think the idea stuck with him).
6. Browns-AJ Green-need and talent fit
7. 49ers- Patrick Peterson- IMO the best player in the draft
8. Titans- Cameron Jordan (or whoever they think is the best DL available)- Their head coach is a former O-lineman. I'm sure he values the importance of the line, but an O-line pick doesn't fit here.
9. Cowboys- Tyron Smith (or whoever they think is the best O-lineman available)- Jerry Jones isn't going another year with his quarterback on his butt.
10. Redskins- Julio Jones- Moss Gone=worst receiving corp in the league. I say we trade back into the first to get Locker later.
skinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:18 PM   #36
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Totally guessing but

1. Gabbert
2. Peterson
3. Newton
4. Julio Jones
5. Von Miller
6. AJ Green
7. Cam Jordan
8. Nick Fairley
9. Prince Amukamara
Usually on these top-10 lists, they leave the #1 spot as the one they reveal after commercials...
Old 03-07-2011, 03:46 PM   #37
diehard
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinster View Post
1. Panthers-Gabbert-new head coach needs a franchise qb and someone to give him job security for a few years.
2. Broncos-Bowers-John Fox is gonna want his Julius Peppers back
3. Bills- Nick Fairley- CJ spiller pick tells us they draft for athleticism, and they need help at the DE position. They want a qb like theres no tomorrow, so Newton might be a pick here, but I really just don't believe anyone besides Gabbert is going in the top 10...then again they do like to reach for precieved need (Spiller).
4. Bengals-Marcell Dareus- they don't need a corner, and Simpson/Caldwell shined when they started the last three games. Plus they have Shipley and Gresham.
5. Cardinals-Von Miller- Wisenhunt comes from Pittsburgh where they don't care as much about corners (granted he was their oc, I still think the idea stuck with him).
6. Browns-AJ Green-need and talent fit
7. 49ers- Patrick Peterson- IMO the best player in the draft
8. Titans- Cameron Jordan (or whoever they think is the best DL available)- Their head coach is a former O-lineman. I'm sure he values the importance of the line, but an O-line pick doesn't fit here.
9. Cowboys- Tyron Smith (or whoever they think is the best O-lineman available)- Jerry Jones isn't going another year with his quarterback on his butt.
10. Redskins- Julio Jones- Moss Gone=worst receiving corp in the league. I say we trade back into the first to get Locker later.
As impressive Jones was at the combine, I wouldn't be happy to draft him at tenth overall. If you think about it, his game is a lot like Armstrong's.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:30 PM   #38
skinster
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard View Post
As impressive Jones was at the combine, I wouldn't be happy to draft him at tenth overall. If you think about it, his game is a lot like Armstrong's.
I would like to agree with you. I really don't put much value in the combine numbers. I'd ideally take him in the mid-late teens. I just feel that WR is going to be SUCH a need for us having armstrong as our 1, and then (Malcolm Kelly? Roydell Williams?) as our two. Not if, but when santana walks, we will have the worst WR corp in the league. I am also against reaching for players at positions of need, but in this scenario I empathize with taking him considering the severity of the lack of talent in our WR corp.

For the record though, if I was running the team, I would consider winning in the next season or two a lost cause. I would draft purely for talent and admit to rebuilding right now. Neither Shanahan nor Snyder would ever do that, and I think they will pick for need if it is not too far of a stretch. It might not be what I would do, but I don't criticize that way of thinking either.
skinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:54 PM   #39
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

The difference between Julio and Armstrong is Julio is taller and more physical. They both have blazing speed. Potential is another thing, but then again we're just starting to find out about Armstrong in the NFL so he still has some potential to improve.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:59 PM   #40
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

For some reason I just have little faith in AA, guy has a great story and blazing speed, who knows maybe he is a diamond in the rough.. I hope so but I'm always thinking in the negative light when it comes to WRs, I guess it's because other than Moss we haven't had a good one in 10 plus years
Old 03-08-2011, 12:37 AM   #41
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I think Armstrong is fine as a straight line speed guy. But a) I'm really really hoping Kelly can stay healthy and b) I think the diamond in the rough in all of this is Terence Austin. The limited time I saw him play last year, my overriding impression was "this guy is a tremendous route runner" He could really shine. And that's after thinking we shouldn't have even drafted him in the first place. He pleasantly surprised me
Old 03-08-2011, 03:22 AM   #42
diehard
The Starter

Quote:
I think Armstrong is fine as a straight line speed guy. But a) I'm really really hoping Kelly can stay healthy and b) I think the diamond in the rough in all of this is Terence Austin. The limited time I saw him play last year, my overriding impression was "this guy is a tremendous route runner" He could really shine. And that's after thinking we shouldn't have even drafted him in the first place. He pleasantly surprised me
Julio has only "straight line speed". He's not the elusive or crisp route runner Green or Moss is. His lack of red zone production scares me too. We need a guy who can separate, get open and do damage in the red zone.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:33 AM   #43
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard View Post
Julio has only "straight line speed". He's not the elusive or crisp route runner Green or Moss is. His lack of red zone production scares me too. We need a guy who can separate, get open and do damage in the red zone.
I feel like we need a receiving corps. Not one guy that we force the ball to. Corps give you more options and help teams evolve. True number one guys on the other hand seem to stunt the progress of many offenses they're built around because rather then working on creative play calling teams seem to get lazy and force the issue.

Though it seems to be getting better these days as most of the elite number ones are hardworking team players, and Jones seems to be a continuation of that mold. Still I would much rather try and get two or three solid options as opposed to one great player that we just feed the ball.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:22 PM   #44
ethat001
Impact Rookie

Quote:

...Going on this history, it appears that the Redskins would be able to recoup their missing fourth-round pick (dealt away in the Donovan McNabb trade) for moving back a few spots or get back the third-round pick they are lacking due to the Jammal Brown deal (they did pick up an additional fifth in that trade) if they go back about five slots or so.

The Rams, who hold the 14th pick, could be the perfect trade partner here. They are in desperate need of a top wide receiver to give quarterback Sam Bradford a target and Julio Jones is expected to be sitting there when the Redskins pick at 10. St. Louis’ third-round pick is the 78th overall so they could package that pick along with their first and get the Redskins first-rounder. It just so happens that this works out to be exactly even on the value chart. The difference between picks 10 and 14 is 200 points and the 78th pick is worth 200 points. Certainly, Shanahan will attempt to extort an additional pick out of the Rams, probably a sixth- or seventh-rounder and he just might get it.

While the Redskins certainly could use Jones, they could find a player who fits one of their many needs at 14 and perhaps pick up another key performer in the third round.

What can the Washington Redskins get for the 10 pick in the NFL draft? | Rich Tandler's Real Redskins
A good read, good article. Would love to trade down - we could pick up a 3rd rounder and still pick up a need in mid-to-late 1st round like 2nd tier QB, NT, etc.
ethat001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:08 AM   #45
GridIron26
Playmaker

^ This trade scenario definitely sounds good, would be awesome if it actually happens..
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote