Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Chase Young or Three First Round Picks?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-13-2020, 11:46 AM   #196
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Chase Young or Three First Round Picks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
I agree, which is why you only do the deal once you are on the clock, the bengals have already drafted Burrow, and you have assurances from the Lions that they are taking Tua; thereby having confidence you'd be able to get young at 3. The only risk in that scenario is that the Lions were lying and planning to take Young - which they would not do as once word got out, no one would ever trade with them again. Teams will publicly lie about their intentions all the time, but these front office people have to work with eachother year after year - there really is very minimal risk to this approach.
def folks would continue to trade if it improves their team and another issue would be after the trade, some one else offers Detroit a cant miss deal.

I just rather get the guy I want. Plus Stafford isn't going anywhere. he isn't the problem there.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-13-2020, 11:57 AM   #197
Number44
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
but ultimately that is a 10M cap hit for cutting/trading him. If they are picking up a rookie qb in his place they could afford that. Not saying they will/would, just that they could.
Actually, the cap hit for cutting or trading him would be $10.7 million plus the cost of his replacement. They pay the $21.3 million either way, and if he isn't on the team, another quarterback has to be paid.
Number44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:45 PM   #198
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number44 View Post
Actually, the cap hit for cutting or trading him would be $10.7 million plus the cost of his replacement. They pay the $21.3 million either way, and if he isn't on the team, another quarterback has to be paid.
Right, and if they trade him they clearly would take Tua or Herbert which would be the rookie pay that they would take anyway.

Now maybe they would need better backups (0-8 with backups last season) but that would be true anyways.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:29 PM   #199
Number44
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Right, and if they trade him they clearly would take Tua or Herbert which would be the rookie pay that they would take anyway.

Now maybe they would need better backups (0-8 with backups last season) but that would be true anyways.
I'm not sure what you are saying here. If you are saying that the Lions would not have to pay a quarterback to replace Stafford should they trade or release him, we are in disagreement.
Number44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:01 PM   #200
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number44 View Post
I'm not sure what you are saying here. If you are saying that the Lions would not have to pay a quarterback to replace Stafford should they trade or release him, we are in disagreement.
No, i am saying if they took a qb 3rd overall they would pay him a rookie wage for the next 5 years. Or roughly 8million this year. (Kyler Murray's cap hit was 6.3 mill for #1 overall last year)

It is a lot for a qb slot(40mill) but the next 4 years you have a lot of space to build around (assuming new cba gets done)

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:14 PM   #201
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Per AlbrightNFL

The Lions have had several calls and have said 100% NO to the rumor
Old 02-13-2020, 04:08 PM   #202
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Adam Schefter posted that because of the restructuring of Staffords contract through the years, it makes him untradeable. The Lions would still take a cap hit of just over $31 million if they trade Stafford.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:08 PM   #203
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Trade rumors aside, the Lions absolutely should be looking for a future beyond Stafford. His back injury is no joke. And Tua's agent said it would be good for him to sit for a year. So they may plan to keep Stafford one more year and have Tua learn from him and be ready to take over in 2021.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:26 PM   #204
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Trade rumors aside, the Lions absolutely should be looking for a future beyond Stafford. His back injury is no joke. And Tua's agent said it would be good for him to sit for a year. So they may plan to keep Stafford one more year and have Tua learn from him and be ready to take over in 2021.
And if they REALLY want to make sure this happens, they would need to trade up with us. I'll take the #3 and #35; still draft Chase Young and recoup that 2nd rounder.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:27 AM   #205
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Chase Young is the pick and should remain the pick. Until an actual trade does happen (if at all/I hope it doesn't) and I can make a judgment on real results, I will be disappointed if we don't come out of the draft with Chase as our pick. Game changer. He is the best player in the draft. If QB didn't automatically get a draft bump, he would be the easy number 1 overall pick. If you get the best player at # 2, that is excellent value. I'm glad we got Rivera altogether, but love having him more as a defensive guy with lots of power, to make Chase happen.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:30 PM   #206
skinsfanmdc
Camp Scrub

I definitely see regret on the Redskins part if they pass on Chase and he has a bigger impact than any of the redskins rookies. I see a lot of back peddling from fans who want to move out of 2. I can picture JP finlay and Keim's headlines "Should the Redskins should have picked Chase Young" lol.
skinsfanmdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:46 PM   #207
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
And if they REALLY want to make sure this happens, they would need to trade up with us. I'll take the #3 and #35; still draft Chase Young and recoup that 2nd rounder.
Agreed. That's what I've been saying, although a lot here think this is too risky somehow.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:27 PM   #208
AnonEmouse
The Starter

I'd agree with a place swap with the Lions plus interest, if they definitely want Tua. Last thing we want though is them screwing us and drafting CY. Or we trade with the Phins and the Giants getting CY.

Honestly can't see the Lions trading given they could takeTua at 3 knowing we're highly unlikely to take a QB. Phins more likely to want to leapfrog them than Lions moving up. And Phins arguably have more to offer in a trade. Unless its a blockbuster offer i still take Young.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:16 AM   #209
Warthog
The Starter

We either take Chase Young OR

a monster RG3 type trade that gets us:

a. Isaiah Simmons -who is the second best defensive player in the draft, AND in a position of need at LB or

Andrew Thomas- the best OT in the draft, AND also in a position of need to replace Trent Williams or Moses.

B. PLUS A bunch of 1s or 2s

Anything else is rubbish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:54 PM   #210
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

2: R1p2 - edge chase young - ohio state
66: R3p2 - g kevin dotson - louisiana-lafayette
105: R4p2 - lb troy dye - oregon
141: R4p38 - te brycen hopkins - purdue
148: R5p2 - wr michael pittman - usc
216: R7p2 - cb troy pride - notre dame
229: R7p15 - s myles dorn - north carolina
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote