Zorn calls team "Soft"

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #46
firstdown
Living Legend

Re: Zorn calls team "Soft"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
DITTO, our first string needs to prove we can put up points and deny the Steeler first string.
Well against teams like the Ravens and the Steelers they need more then a few series to get things going and Zorn needs to let them play longer. I like the fact that or O is up against some good D's to get them ready for the season.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-17-2009, 12:46 PM   #47
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I, as much as everyone, hated the 0 on the scoreboard Thursday. But in review the individual pieces seemed fair to good. If we put up 0 again I will hate it just as much, but until regular season starts, the points in these games have 0 meaning. If our 1st offense drives and scores on the first two possession I would be happy, but still we need to see it against the Giants, when it counts. (I think we will)
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:49 PM   #48
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Like a true Redskins sucker for pain that I am, I watched the game over again last night. Did they play soft? They did and they didn't in IMO. They (the D) got burned up for many plays. I think that they play calling was soft / vanilla. I was happy to see the first string O-line give the QBs time. I didn't see the snap and pop from the QBs. Whether this was because of them or the WRs, I don't know. Time will tell.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:06 PM   #49
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagams View Post
I'm sure Angry can relate as well as I can.

When your people don't respond to normal methods of leadership, you have to go a little more extreme. As Jsarno said, it will light a fire under them. Keep up the good work Zorny.
I love negative reinforcement.

Time for me to tell my wife how much her cooking sucks.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:24 PM   #50
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
A pure WCO doesn't even exist anymore, everyone is running hybrid systems.

As for WCO teams not running the ball I think that's a myth these days. Alexander put up some monster rushing numbers in Seattle. Gruden in Tampa loved to "pound the rock" as he put it, Green Bay has had their share of good rushing attacks over the years and they even had some guy named Favre that was known for having a big arm.
So true. You can even go back farther to Roger Craig/Tom Rathman with San Fran in the '80's. People remember Montana to Rice but the Niners actually ran the ball a good deal.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:06 PM   #51
BringBackJoeT
Impact Rookie

While I think the verdict is still out on Zorn, I don't think this was a bad move to label the effort of some of the players "soft," nor do I think their "softness," if it exists, is his to blame for (yet).

The fact is that he was unhappy, with good reason, with the performance on Thursday, and we know that he was especially disappointed with the play of, as he said, the "young guys." I think he's carried over to his second year his latent disappointment with how his core of rookies last year didn't appear to show up for camp understanding the level of preparation needed to perform at the pro level, so when the "young players" played badly in this year's first preseason game, and he felt that it was partly the result of their approach, his reaction was a boiling over of a year's worth of frustration. While it's obviously still not clear how long he'll be around, I think he may be on his way to setting a standard for what he expects at camp and in preseason games from non-established non-veteran players. Young guys, especially rookies, may get the message that it's at their peril to show up for a Zorn camp not ready to start hitting on day one.
BringBackJoeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #52
redsk1
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I think Zorn's offense is soft.

Maybe. Hell, do we even know what's Zorn's offense is? I guess it's when our offense was rolling last year for a few games. I guess...
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:27 PM   #53
4mrusmc
Impact Rookie

It looks like the Skins are starting the season (albeit preseason) the same way they ended last season; soft and moist.

If they think about bringing that lackluster, half-assed effort to FedEx for the Steelers game, the official Cower, Shanahan, and whom ever Danny boy's flavor of the month is clock will be ticking down to 2010 in earnest.

These guys that are currently wearing the B/G "are not earning it". Especially the rookies, and the one to two years in the league players.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:00 AM   #54
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
I disagree. Even if your lost in the scheme or player responsibilty, go out there and knock someone down. Ravens ROOKIE Oher, in his first NFL game pancaked a few of our veterans. Our backups that have been on the team for a couple of years did not. Being physical is a combination of skill, confidance and desire. Our backups lack the last two.
Coach Z confirms my thought on his "soft" statement, from Mort's Training Camp article:
Zorn smiled when asked privately about his adjective. He used it only with the media, not to his team in the locker room.
"You know, I was speaking about some technical things that happened in the game, like one of our corners who backed off on a slant pass when I've seen him do it right out here on the practice field," the coach said. "But if the team got different message from what I said, that's a good thing, too."

I disagree with your statement, our backups lack the confidence (which comes with being knowledgable about their responsibilities/scheme), not desire or skill.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:24 AM   #55
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I think Zorn's offense is soft.
The Defense is not Zorn's system. They gave up 23 to an team that is definitely not a top-tier offensive squad.

Hopefully they do step it up for the remainder of the games...preseason AND regular.