Lambs and Bulls (A Redskins Story)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-04-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
-Om-
Special Teams

Dec. 4, 2008

Only one good thing came out of the butt-kicking the NY Giants laid on the Redskins last Sunday:

Clarity. We know who the 2008 Redskins are.

What this Redskins team has shown is the ability to win the games it “should.” Against teams coming in with losing records, they have gone 3-1 (Cleveland, Detroit, Seattle, St. Louis). That’s a good thing—and something that was not a given coming into 2008 given the coaching and systemic changes.

When the season is over and the immediacy of the letdown that appears to be at hand from following a 6-2 start with scratching, clawing and scoreboard-watching down the stretch just to make the playoffs, overall I think most fans will be pleased with what the team was able to establish in Jim Zorn’s rookie year.

Unfortunately, what the 2008 Redskins have also shown is that they are not ready to compete with the NFL’s big boys.

Washington has chalked up four “quality” wins this season (all in the four-week stretch after losing the opener in New York)—New Orleans, Arizona, Dallas and Philadelphia. Since then, as the season has moved from the first-half appetizer to second-half main course, they have faced three tests against some of the NFL’s best teams—Pittsburgh, Dallas (much as it pains me to say it) and the Giants again. In each, the Redskins were overmatched physically and beaten convincingly.

Even in the 4-point home loss (to a Dallas team starting a quarterback coming back from a throwing hand injury wearing a cast) the Redskins were pushed around up front, on both sides of the ball, and never really seemed a threat to win the game. Those four points might as well have been 14.

So … now we know. The 2008 Redskins are the quintessential middle-class team—good enough to take down the lambs, not good enough to run with the bulls.

In my view there are two basic ways NFL teams can bridge that chasm ...

CLICK HERE to read more ...
-Om- is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-04-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
YellowBirdy
Camp Scrub

Re: Lambs and Bulls (A Redskins Story)

Hi - Good post and good site , I’ve added you to my favourites.
YellowBirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 02:49 PM   #3
-Om-
Special Teams

Most kind.

And I've gone in and edited all the places I called Colt Brennan Colt McCoy. Geez.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:49 PM   #4
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

As usual, great stuff Om.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 03:10 PM   #5
53Fan
Franchise Player

Good stuff Om. I agree. The game is won or lost in the trenches. I hope Vinny realizes that after the way we've played this year. It's pretty simple basic football really. It needs to be addressed asap.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:22 PM   #6
DarkKnight
Special Teams

EVERYONE SAY IT WITH ME - Albert Haynesworth - if you think this guy wont come and make us an elite team, then you dont know football, Tennesse is Winning by D, nothing spectacular on offense, all around on Offense we are a better team, on Defense they are, and because of that one DT, take him out and there average, they move him around on DT and DE.......thats amazing
Old 12-04-2008, 03:46 PM   #7
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight View Post
EVERYONE SAY IT WITH ME - Albert Haynesworth - if you think this guy wont come and make us an elite team, then you dont know football, Tennesse is Winning by D, nothing spectacular on offense, all around on Offense we are a better team, on Defense they are, and because of that one DT, take him out and there average, they move him around on DT and DE.......thats amazing
Tennessee's also not going to let him get away. They'll tag him with no intention of paying the franchise tag, and then sign him to a long term deal.

I've heard no indication whatsoever that he's unhappy in Tennessee, so I don't think he's hitting the open market.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:54 PM   #8
Mr.Redskin
Camp Scrub

I like titles that end in " a Redskins Story".

More books and movies based off of those books need to be in circulation. Oh and plays, in flight movies, dramatic reenactments, bed time stories, tv dramas, and any sitcom on cable or late night skin channels, like "Joe Gibbs, a passionate awakening (a redskin story)
Old 12-04-2008, 07:24 PM   #9
-Om-
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight View Post
Not sure I agree any one guy who isn't a QB can come in and make a good team an elite one ... but I hear you on Haynesworth. Under normal circumstances, I'd have character reservations--or at least do some serious background reading--but the cupboard's so bare right now I don't think the Redskins have the luxury of playing too hard to get.

Oh, and Mr. Redskin ... I think that was funny.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:13 PM   #10
A10sROCK
Impact Rookie

Very nice writeup! The Redskins are not elite. We knew that at the beginning and we know it now. We've done far better than any real media pundits predicted at the start of the season.

I agree with you that I think Zorn has done a very good job as a rookie HC and rookie OC. Ppl forget that he will have one of the best starts as a Redskins coach, of all time.

In the off-season we will need to make some major improvements in the OL and DL. We will need to draft well, use our FA funds wisely and let go of the over-the-hill veterans.

I think Zorn has a long-term future with this franchise. I am still unsure in Jason Campbell is the one (although still hopeful). I think next season we will be better than this season pans out to be.

Again - nicely written piece.
A10sROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:46 PM   #11
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

DarkKnight:

I agree that Albert Haynesworth is an outstanding DT - - certainly one of the five best in the NFL at the moment. He is a better DT than anyone the Redskins have had at that position in my memory - - and I can remember the Skins back to the early 1960s.

However, I must disagree with you on one point. You said that Tennessee is winning with D. You said that the Titans were "nothing spectacular on offense, all around on Offense we are a better team,".

That is where I have to get off the train.

The Titans have scored 304 points this year in 12 games. In the AFC, only the Jets have scored more.

The Redskins have scored 208 points in 12 games. IN the NFL, only the Rams, Lions Raiders and Bengals have scored less.

The job of the offense is to score points. So, I don't see how you can think that the Redskins are better "all around on Offense".

Last edited by sportscurmudgeon; 12-05-2008 at 03:17 PM.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:35 AM   #12
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Tennessee's also not going to let him get away. They'll tag him with no intention of paying the franchise tag, and then sign him to a long term deal.

I've heard no indication whatsoever that he's unhappy in Tennessee, so I don't think he's hitting the open market.
I don't see them letting him get away either.