Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

John Abraham on the block....?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-01-2004, 06:27 AM   #1
dieselhog
Special Teams

John Abraham on the block....?

Or so the rumours go. Another excellent (though fragile) DE or OLB.

Anyone interested in seeing him in DC rather than Kearse?

Perhaps it might not be too late to work out a package deal with Champ (hasn't signed Denvers deal yet)?

dieselhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-01-2004, 07:40 AM   #2
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Wasn't Abrams getting beat up and that's why they want to move him to OLB. I'd rather have a pro bowl back than an old DE. We've had our old DE's
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 07:46 AM   #3
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

He's actually pretty young, his body is just old......but has lot of potential.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 07:58 AM   #4
offiss

he has a work ethic prob. the jet's have been speculating on getting rid of him for a while now, thier caught between a rock and a hard place with him, he has a load of talent as a pass rusher, he could be an elite pass rusher, but he likes to stay out late, and doesn't like to dedicate himself, which is part of the problem with him staying healthy for an entire year, if the right coach can motivate him he could be a big time player.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 08:11 AM   #5
dieselhog
Special Teams

Abraham was actually thought to be the model pro until last season when frustration at his injuries got the better of him.

The Jets always knew that they would not be able to keep Pennington/Ellis and Abraham when their contracts came up.

Ellis would have been the odd one out until last season when he had a monster breakout (which he needed) and Abraham went down. Abraham's DUI further sullied his rep.

I'm just worried that wea er about to pay HUGE $ for Kearse only to see him doubleteamed every game.
dieselhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 09:12 AM   #6
Scott
Special Teams

Great point, unless we have a few huge DT beside Kearse on the line, we are not really ever going to see his potential
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 10:19 AM   #7
MTK
\m/

If he could be signed at a reasonable price I say go for it. When healthy he's a terror off the edge.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 06:05 PM   #8
offiss

The word is kearse would take less money to be reunited with williams, from what I have heard he would take a signing bonus around 8-10 mil and play for around 5 mil a year that is what they were saying on another site, I am not all that sure how reliable that info is? But if it's true I think that's pretty fair for a player of his upside, at this point we would have to convince a big tackle ala washington or adam's to play for us at a resonably contract, hopefully a lot of player's will see the commitment we are making to win, along with gibb's on board, and would like to be a part of this team.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:08 PM   #9
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I think Adams would love to stay with williams, along with Winfield.

I think wynn, Noble, Adams and Kearse makes a mighty fine line! all our pressure will come from the right, allowing Arrington to come from the left like he loves so much.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:35 PM   #10
Ghost
Special Teams

Kearse worries me from a health standpoint. I'd rather have Wistrom.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 06:37 PM   #11
Phinehas
Special Teams

Agreed. Wistrom or even Hicks is much less risky than gambling on a splashy, expensive star who's missed 14 games in the last two seasons.

--Phin

Last edited by Phinehas; 03-01-2004 at 06:47 PM.
Phinehas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 06:46 PM   #12
Ghost
Special Teams

Hopefully Gibbs can help Snyder understand that the game is about more than signing the flashiest, most expensive FAs on the market every summer. Look at what the Pats have done with their "no name" acquisitions, steady performers who fit into the system. Unfortunately, we've had no real "system" in recent years ... it seems to change dramatically every season. I have the feeling that Kearse, while still young, is this year's Deion or Bruce. All the injuries will add up to a lack of production. I say avoid the obvious desperation move and sign someone else for cheaper.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:03 PM   #13
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Oh yes, Gibbs is setting a terrific example paying all that money for Brunell. How about once someone explains to Gibbs what a salary cap is, he can explain how you need to go after no-name underdevloped players.

There's a reason the Redskins make more money than any other franchise. It's Snyder and the players he gets.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:22 AM   #14
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
Oh yes, Gibbs is setting a terrific example paying all that money for Brunell. How about once someone explains to Gibbs what a salary cap is, he can explain how you need to go after no-name underdevloped players.

There's a reason the Redskins make more money than any other franchise. It's Snyder and the players he gets.
Agreed
Old 03-02-2004, 01:38 AM   #15
Ghost
Special Teams

Are you kidding me? The reason the Redskins are the most valuable team in the NFL is because of the fan base built by Gibbs during the 80s. It sure as hell is not because of Snyder, who has been an unmitigated failure thus far. These "great" players Snyder has overpaid for haven't done jack -- this team has sucked under Snyder. The Brunell move may not be popular right now, but I'll go with Gibbs' judgment over Snyder's any day.