Originally Posted by smootsmack View Post

yay!
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #17
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Re: Redskins installing heated practice field

Holy shite, Shanny really puts the "red" in Redskins.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #18
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
My friend said it looks like he has "wind burn." Is that even a legit disease? Can the wind actually cause a burn on a persons face? That sucks for him if it's true, I just thought he had some obscure skin condition or something.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #19
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
He's just trying to distract gazes away from his rat teeth.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:39 AM   #20
cpayne5
Playmaker

Think about the scale, though. The Skins' gym has to support 60 football players where the Texas and LSU facilities must support 400-500 student athletes (swimmers, track athletes, football players, etc).
Old 12-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #21
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
Think about the scale, though. The Skins' gym has to support 60 football players where the Texas and LSU facilities must support 400-500 student athletes (swimmers, track athletes, football players, etc).
Technically 80, since I doubt they would build a weight room that didn't have enough equipment in it to support a whole team during training camp.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:17 PM   #22
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Good point.

I wonder if any NFL team have a gym that compares to a major NCAA school in terms of size like that.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:34 PM   #23
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Football and basketball are the only money makers at schools and usually get preferential treatment. Its not like Texas’ football team has to fight for time over the bench press with the archery team.

I went to VCU which only has a bball team as their money maker, and had friends that worked at the gym. When the 20 or so person basketball team took over the gym they took it over, they didn’t share with anyone. In the few years ive been out its changed and I think they may have a dedicated gym now. VCU does not have a major college athletics program plus land is tough to come by in Richmond city, so I would think bigger athletic schools would give even more to their bigger revenue producing sports.

Also VT just unveiled their new basketball facility, which is absolutely ridiculous. I think its supposed to be one of the nicer ones in the entire country, but just the basketball program has its own weight training facility (images 23-25). Not sure what their football facility is like but im sure its pretty nice too. I would bet a lot of the big named schools (where a lot of big named players attended) have separate facilities for their football program and maybe basketball too so that they don’t have to share space and more importantly time with the archery and swim team.

http://www.hokiesports.com/facilities/hahnhurst.html

I can get a pretty good work out in my spare room with my set of powerblocks (theyre actually really sweet), perfect pushups and old computer monitor hooked up playing p90x but im only a borderline amateur athlete (not really). So maybe facilities don’t matter all that much. But the truth is the Redskin’s practice facility is a downgrade from most big named schools.
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:43 PM   #24
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
My friend said it looks like he has "wind burn." Is that even a legit disease? Can the wind actually cause a burn on a persons face? That sucks for him if it's true, I just thought he had some obscure skin condition or something.
Wind burn is not a disease it is a condition of the skin and the capillaries just under the skin.

Yes it is real.

Yes, the wind can cause one to look just like that; for many people, that is how the skin looks just before frostbite sets in. For folks who show skin reddening more easily, the color is not an indicator of imminent frostbite.

This is why "wind chill factor" is important in the winter months...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:01 PM   #25
MTK
\m/

Stand outside in 0 degree weather for a little while and feel the power of the burn.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:01 PM   #26
cpayne5
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Football and basketball are the only money makers at schools and usually get preferential treatment. Its not like Texas’ football team has to fight for time over the bench press with the archery team.

I went to VCU which only has a bball team as their money maker, and had friends that worked at the gym. When the 20 or so person basketball team took over the gym they took it over, they didn’t share with anyone. In the few years ive been out its changed and I think they may have a dedicated gym now. VCU does not have a major college athletics program plus land is tough to come by in Richmond city, so I would think bigger athletic schools would give even more to their bigger revenue producing sports.

Also VT just unveiled their new basketball facility, which is absolutely ridiculous. I think its supposed to be one of the nicer ones in the entire country, but just the basketball program has its own weight training facility (images 23-25). Not sure what their football facility is like but im sure its pretty nice too. I would bet a lot of the big named schools (where a lot of big named players attended) have separate facilities for their football program and maybe basketball too so that they don’t have to share space and more importantly time with the archery and swim team.

http://www.hokiesports.com/facilities/hahnhurst.html

I can get a pretty good work out in my spare room with my set of powerblocks (theyre actually really sweet), perfect pushups and old computer monitor hooked up playing p90x but im only a borderline amateur athlete (not really). So maybe facilities don’t matter all that much. But the truth is the Redskin’s practice facility is a downgrade from most big named schools.
The Texas gym is shared by all teams/athletes. I'm sure they set aside time for the football team, basketball team, etc, but the facility is shared by all athletes. Comparatively, I'm sure the Skins also workout in groups, rather than as a whole. I would bet that there's rarely more than 20 guys in the gym at any one time.

The Skins' facility may not be fancy enough to be on the cover of a brochure, but I trust that it's adequate.

Why are we talking about the gym anyway?
:smashfrea
Old 12-21-2010, 02:45 PM   #27
KLHJ2
Inactive

GMScud, do teams have to share athletic facilities down at Florida?
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:33 PM   #28
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
Wind burn is not a disease it is a condition of the skin and the capillaries just under the skin.

Yes it is real.

Yes, the wind can cause one to look just like that; for many people, that is how the skin looks just before frostbite sets in. For folks who show skin reddening more easily, the color is not an indicator of imminent frostbite.

This is why "wind chill factor" is important in the winter months...
Wow that sucks for Shanny then. It must be tough for him to deal with that. And thanks for the info, you learn something new every day.