Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Peter King: Broncos-Skins reach agreement

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-24-2004, 06:40 PM   #1
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Peter King: Broncos-Skins reach agreement

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...cos/index.html

Well, looks like its done. The Skins did relent and gave up their 2nd rounder and Bailey. Now, Bailey just needs to agree to a contract (I'm not worried about Danny's ability to sign Portis).
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-24-2004, 06:43 PM   #2
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

I agree, everything is on Bailey. They said they were talking about 8 mil a year for him, on PTI. If he dosent except that, someone needs to drug test him, cause if he said no he would definitley have to be on a mind altering substance of some form, according to the american legal system
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:45 PM   #3
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Ug, our 2nd rounder. Portis is great, but our 2nd rounder for arguably the best CB in the league? Come on!
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 07:00 PM   #4
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

A CB isn't as critical a position as a RB.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 07:10 PM   #5
BrudLee
Playmaker

In a very twisted way, Bailey made it more difficult for us to get turnovers in recent years. "Shutdown corners" don't get opportunities, because the ball isn't thrown their way. Smoot will have an adjustment to make, and Bauman or a free agent will be in the fire as well. They will be greatly helped by an improved pass rush.

Now, how about Betts for a third rounder?
BrudLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 07:10 PM   #6
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

While I would have loved a Portis-Bailey trade straight up, I'm a little upset about the Bailey + 2nd rounder for Portis. We had a high second rounder and given that we cut Armstead, are going to sign Portis to a massive deal, and need to signa costly, veteran FA to fill Champ's vacancy, I think we really needed that 2nd rounder in order to get a quality player to fill a position at a cheap price.

On the other hand, the Broncos knew we didn't really have Champ - there was no way we were going to be able to keep him, so maybe getting Portis for a second rounder is the way to look at it. The Lions weren't going to give us a 1st and 2nd rounder, so I'd prefer to get Portis at the price of a second round pick than just the Lions 1st rounder.

Finally, Champ's loss could be offset on the defensive side of the ball. If we sign a big DT (i.e. Robaire Smith) and Jevon Kearse (which looks more and more likely), we may not need the coverage skills Bailey gave us last year. We will need a decent #1 corner (i.e. Winfield) and some dlinemen who give us the pass rush.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 07:10 PM   #7
azskinsfan2
Special Teams

As long as Portis can do here what he did in Denver we'll be glad we have him. Sure wish we still had Stephen Davis though. Under Gibbs he'd be in the pro-bowl every year!!!! With a huge running attack our passing game will come through big time!!!! Coles should have a great year too!!!!!
azskinsfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 07:45 PM   #8
Teemotay
Camp Scrub

Uuuugggghhhhh. Say it ain't so Joe. Danny can afford anyone he wants, but that's not the issue. The NFL has a salary cap and signing Portis for big $$$ is going to screw this team royally. Danny's whole way of doing these long term contracts with HUGE signing bonuses, minimal first few years pay and gradually increasing to multimillion dollar a year pay is going to continue to bite him and all of us fans in the ass. Year after year we're going to be seeing our studs leaving, and Danny boy trying to bring in new studs. Unfortunately, when he cuts some of those guys, the signing bonuses are going to kill our cap.

I will say that, despite all of the flack our O Line caught last year, I think they're all in all a strong group of blockers for the running game. Unfortunately, with Spurrier here, we didn't get to see them using that talent. Lets hope Portis is able to continue to put up 1500+ yards a year and a TD or 2 a game, because it's not sounding as if we're going to have too much cash left to bolster our 25th ranked defense (and that was WITH Bailey & Armstead)
Teemotay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 08:03 PM   #9
offiss

I don't like the deal, especially giving up a #2 to do it, gibbs needs a between the tackles runner, portis is used to a trapping type of blocking which gives a lot of space to run when the hole is opened and a lot of big gains, I just don't think he's worth what were giving up, there is a reason back after back gain's 1500 yds. in that offense. I don't see portis as a big need we are alway's so enamoured with everyone else's player's, at the very least we could deal champ for a #1 and get any back we desire, and keep our #2.

Maybe this question will help solve portis's worth, what kind of year do you think portis would have had last year under SS? As well we can ask, what do you think bett's could do running in that denver offense?
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 08:37 PM   #10
skins009
Impact Rookie

I too don't like the fact that we have to give up our second round pick tooo. Champ in many ways in better than portis simply for the reason it is harder to find a lock down corner than a running back. But then again dan synder always overpays for everything.
skins009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 08:41 PM   #11
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I like Portis and his running style a lot. Gibbs will adapt to his style and get him in the open field. Get him in the open field and we have large gains a comin! I don't however think Bailey and a 2nd rounder is what we need to give up. I'll swap 2nds with Denver, but that's it!
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 08:44 PM   #12
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

I agree, even if we gave them a couple low picks next year or somthing, we really need some draft room this year. I have a feeling we will trade down, but I really want Sean Taylor too; maybe I'm too greedy. But Portis here sounds good too me.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 09:08 PM   #13
Spearhead
Camp Scrub

I'm greedy too then.
I hope we don't trade down at this point and just take what we've been handed (if Taylor's still there at #5). Help fill the void Champ will leave although it won't fill the position (FA might though. Love to take 1 of Philly's CB's).
Spearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 09:25 PM   #14
Cush
Impact Rookie

If Champ wasn't going to sign, then ship him out. But giving up a 2nd rounder? Bad move IMO. They need help on the DL, and there probably would have been some DT's at that spot.
Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 09:29 PM   #15
skinsfan26
Camp Scrub

I think we should get Portis and DT Gardner for Champ and 2nd round pick.
skinsfan26 is offline   Reply With Quote