Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Wft quarterback of the future

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-14-2020, 12:04 PM   #16
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Re: Wft quarterback of the future

You simply have to draft a QB of the future and play him. Having a starting qb on a rookie deal is the best way to try and get a SB. Especially when you will have to pay guys on the d-line. We will probably lose one of them to be honest. No re- treads. Darnold is garbage. Guys like him are not the future of the league. We need a guy who can create offense can carry the team when the defense has a bad day. No pure drop back guys, they will be extinct in a few years.

However, I would have to think hard about Matt Stafford if he comes available, simply because he still has an elite arm and mobility. The Lions will have the chance to draft a rookie and with a new regime coming in a divorce may be what's best for everyone. I'd keep an eye out there. You put him on this team and we are the best in the division.
skinsfan69 is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-14-2020, 12:07 PM   #17
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Call Andrew Luck!! As other teams have proven, you can get a QB late in the 1st round or lower rounds. Jackson, Wilson, Brady come to mind.

I would fuckin bust a nut if Luck decided to play for us.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 12:08 PM   #18
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter;1268342[B
]If Smith is healthy (not the Smith we saw last night), I'm ok with rolling with him for one more year.[/B] I do think if that is your plan though, you have to have a better insurance policy than Haskins. I am hopeful that they have their eyes on a couple college QBs they like, and are able to draft "their guy" in the early rounds - even if they have to move up (like the Sweat move) to get him. I am not a fan of going after a Stafford/Fitz type vet, unless Smith is not healthy enough to go. I would take Dak in a heartbeat if Dallas can't/doesn't get anything done there, but I suspect he gets another tag if not a contract. The two best scenarios to me are: 1. Alex is healthy enough to go next year and they are able to draft a QB in the middle rounds to sit a year behind him. 2. A QB they really like falls into their lap early, and he is the guy from day 1. Either way, I like bringing back Kyle Allen as the insurance policy.
Healthy or not he should not be an option. I don't even want him as a back up to be honest. He can't escape the rush at all. He can't push the ball downfield. He is simply a 10 yards and under QB. We can't even get the ball our wr's cause of the QB.

It's been a great story but it needs to come to an end. I hope Alex retires to be honest.
Old 12-14-2020, 12:09 PM   #19
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I'm more concerned about the QB for the present.

With Smith we can get into the playoffs and maybe make some noise.

Without Smith I'm worried about just getting to the playoffs.

which is why I mentioned this season isn’t over, but however this year shakes out it is a crossroads we are approaching and there is no way around it. With the exception of DH or Alex just catching such lightning in a bottle....
Old 12-14-2020, 12:10 PM   #20
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Call Andrew Luck!! As other teams have proven, you can get a QB late in the 1st round or lower rounds. Jackson, Wilson, Brady come to mind.
He is one of those guys that just doesn't need football. His body let him down and he said f it. Good for him. He ain't coming back.
Old 12-14-2020, 12:10 PM   #21
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
You simply have to draft a QB of the future and play him. Having a starting qb on a rookie deal is the best way to try and get a SB. Especially when you will have to pay guys on the d-line. We will probably lose one of them to be honest. No re- treads. Darnold is garbage. Guys like him are not the future of the league. We need a guy who can create offense can carry the team when the defense has a bad day. No pure drop back guys, they will be extinct in a few years.

However, I would have to think hard about Matt Stafford if he comes available, simply because he still has an elite arm and mobility. The Lions will have the chance to draft a rookie and with a new regime coming in a divorce may be what's best for everyone. I'd keep an eye out there. You put him on this team and we are the best in the division.
I send them our first rounder which will be mid first at best and call it a day. Cut Smith for cap room to absorb Stafford. Move Haskins for a seventh rounder...just to get the contract off book.

Kyle Allen as the back up to Stafford

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 12:13 PM   #22
SunnySide
Playmaker

Jimmy G is a prime cut candidate imo. Not sure if Id want him but hes better than what we have on the roster currently
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 12:13 PM   #23
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I'm more concerned about the QB for the present.

With Smith we can get into the playoffs and maybe make some noise.

Without Smith I'm worried about just getting to the playoffs.
We are one and done w/ him cause when you get to the playoffs the teams will be able to score. Putting the d out there like we did yesterday time after time doesn't work against playoff teams. We can't sustain drives.

Watch, this week playing Wilson will be a different animal for the defense. Wilson is not Mullins. He is going to make plays and we don't have the offense to match.
Old 12-14-2020, 12:18 PM   #24
MTK
\m/

We're not scoring with DH either and he will likely turn the ball over and make things even worse. Give me Smith over DH all day.
Old 12-14-2020, 12:44 PM   #25
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Healthy or not he should not be an option. I don't even want him as a back up to be honest. He can't escape the rush at all. He can't push the ball downfield. He is simply a 10 yards and under QB. We can't even get the ball our wr's cause of the QB.

It's been a great story but it needs to come to an end. I hope Alex retires to be honest.
Smith is an option, and he HAS to be an option. At this point he's the only guarantee this team has (providing he is healthy enough to play).

There's no guarantee they get a day 1 ready QB in the draft. It's possible, but it is definitely not a guarantee.

There's no guarantee that they can lure a Veteran QB that is an upgrade to Smith.

There's no guarantee that DH will make any progress that puts him ahead of Smith.

Currently, Smith is the best option.
Chief X_Phackter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 05:22 PM   #26
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Smith is an option, and he HAS to be an option. At this point he's the only guarantee this team has (providing he is healthy enough to play).

There's no guarantee they get a day 1 ready QB in the draft. It's possible, but it is definitely not a guarantee.

There's no guarantee that they can lure a Veteran QB that is an upgrade to Smith.

There's no guarantee that DH will make any progress that puts him ahead of Smith.

Currently, Smith is the best option.
There are better options than Smith in FA. All he basically does is throw to backs and short passes to wr's. He can't make plays out of the pocket like he did in KC. He can't even run read option plays. He is too easy to defend.
Old 12-14-2020, 05:31 PM   #27
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
There are better options than Smith in FA. All he basically does is throw to backs and short passes to wr's. He can't make plays out of the pocket like he did in KC. He can't even run read option plays. He is too easy to defend.
Yet the Skins/WFT are 9-3 with him starting. We have to get a qb of the future there is no doubt, but what FA guy is going to do better than that record? Not Darnold, Newton, or any other guy that the Skins is likely to bring in.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:01 PM   #28
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Wft quarterback of the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Yet the Skins/WFT are 9-3 with him starting. We have to get a qb of the future there is no doubt, but what FA guy is going to do better than that record? Not Darnold, Newton, or any other guy that the Skins is likely to bring in.

Stafford, Fitzmagic are two guys id be happier with next year if we don’t draft someone who instantly pans out. Jimmy G someone mentioned. Andy Dalton. Phillip Rivers has been hot. Id take any of them over Alex until we get our future guy. I believe those guys are all available. Hell Dak might be if the Boys keep fucking that up. Id look at Wentz for sure. He definitely had it in recent history maybe just a bad year or bad fit there? Idk about Alex being the best option next year.
That 9-3 record is not all it appears. He would be lower in the ole win column if not for our D. And honestly his last run as a starter was not exactly him putting the team on his back.
Old 12-14-2020, 07:12 PM   #29
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Stafford, Fitzmagic are two guys id be happier with next year if we don’t draft someone who instantly pans out. Jimmy G someone mentioned. Andy Dalton. Phillip Rivers has been hot. Id take any of them over Alex until we get our future guy. I believe those guys are all available. Hell Dak might be if the Boys keep fucking that up. Id look at Wentz for sure. He definitely had it in recent history maybe just a bad year or bad fit there? Idk about Alex being the best option next year.
That 9-3 record is not all it appears. He would be lower in the ole win column if not for our D. And honestly his last run as a starter was not exactly him putting the team on his back.
You can win with Alex but also grow with a rookie. Dalton and Fitz would be placeholders just like Alex. And other teams has beens are barely better than Haskins. If Alex is good for a year that he is under contract for any way, stick with him and bring in a qb for the future.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:25 PM   #30
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
So, what's the plan, take the $32 million cap hit AND bring in a guy like Stafford, Fitz, etc. and pay them what they are going to demand? No way that is happening.
Chief X_Phackter is online now   Reply With Quote