Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-26-2011, 09:20 PM   #61
BuckSkin
Special Teams

Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Newton may be an extremely gifted athlete, but I think it's a simple decision. Reach for Cam Newton at #10 or wait until next year and draft T Pryor of Ohio State in the 4th round. They are almost indentical in size -both gifted runners that can escape defenders and torch you for big gains. Pryor is a more polished passer and has started 3 bowl games with his Sr. Season only to get better. Pryor faces a 5 game suspension for selling memorabilia so his draft stock may be on the low end.

Advertisements
Old 01-26-2011, 10:11 PM   #62
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckSkin View Post
Newton may be an extremely gifted athlete, but I think it's a simple decision. Reach for Cam Newton at #10 or wait until next year and draft T Pryor of Ohio State in the 4th round. They are almost indentical in size -both gifted runners that can escape defenders and torch you for big gains. Pryor is a more polished passer and has started 3 bowl games with his Sr. Season only to get better. Pryor faces a 5 game suspension for selling memorabilia so his draft stock may be on the low end.
I think him getting suspended was stupid. It was given to him. I would think it was mine and do what I wanted with it too. Who the hell gives someone something and then punishes them for selling it?!
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:48 AM   #63
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
I think him getting suspended was stupid. It was given to him. I would think it was mine and do what I wanted with it too. Who the hell gives someone something and then punishes them for selling it?!
Someone wo wants to punish him for something, but can't find anything better then what they found. He must have been pulling a "Will Hill" and the school doesn't want either they or him to be embarrassed so they cooked up some other lame excuse.

Edit: Sour.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:44 AM   #64
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Someone wo wants to punish him for something, but can't find anything better then what they found. He must have been pulling a "Will Hill" and the school doesn't want either they or him to be embarrassed so they cooked up some other lame excuse.

Edit: Sour.
I haven't heard about the who will hill story but saw the thread. Haven't had a chance to sit and read through the who thing, what is the story on him? He do something stupid I suspect?

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
Old 01-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #65
sandtrapjack
The Starter

I am a firm believer that Newton will drop considerably farther than most think. I have read a lot of posts regarding the spread offense, his arm strength, mobility yada yada yada.

But his character is still a big question mark. the most recent focus was on the money that allegedly changed hands for him to attend Auburn. NCAA investigated and declared him eligible based on what they found stating that the wrong doing was isolated to his father and Newton had "plausible deny-ability".

But this is also the same NCAA that investigated Reggie Bush when he was at USC and declared him eligible. Only to see him surrender his Heisman later on for the same infractions.

Lets not forget that Newton left Florida in a cloud of shame, when he was found to be in possession of stolen property, specifically a laptop.

Then he spent a year at a small school in Texas and really did not get any real Div 1 experience until he got to Auburn.

So I don't think Newton will go in the top ten. I think he will be lucky to go in the top 20. He will be there at 10 when Washington picks.

Be interesting to see what happens there.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #66
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
I am a firm believer that Newton will drop considerably farther than most think. I have read a lot of posts regarding the spread offense, his arm strength, mobility yada yada yada.

But his character is still a big question mark. the most recent focus was on the money that allegedly changed hands for him to attend Auburn. NCAA investigated and declared him eligible based on what they found stating that the wrong doing was isolated to his father and Newton had "plausible deny-ability".

But this is also the same NCAA that investigated Reggie Bush when he was at USC and declared him eligible. Only to see him surrender his Heisman later on for the same infractions.

Lets not forget that Newton left Florida in a cloud of shame, when he was found to be in possession of stolen property, specifically a laptop.

Then he spent a year at a small school in Texas and really did not get any real Div 1 experience until he got to Auburn.

So I don't think Newton will go in the top ten. I think he will be lucky to go in the top 20. He will be there at 10 when Washington picks.

Yeah, the dude has some Chris Washburn-like history for those of you who followed basketball in the 80s. Like Washburn, he seems to be a decent kid. What is really going to give scouts & GMs fits is that he appears to have the 'it' factor & leadership ability, seems confident & comfortable in the limelight (though that nat'l championship game might've been some of his worst tape this year).
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #67
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
I am a firm ... yada yada yada...Lets not forget that Newton left Florida in a cloud...So I don't think Newton will go in the top ten. I think he will be lucky to go in the top 20. He will be there at 10 when Washington picks.

He could be gone at #9. Dallas needs a QB.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #68
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
You're kidding right? What, does new big man Mr. Garrett not like Romo?!?

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
Old 01-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #69
freddyg12
Playmaker

not to mention, Kitna & McGee looked pretty decent in their time this year. I'd say they at least have a good backup in McGee for a few years. Kitna is old though.

They could draft a qb that high to groom him for a few years, I just don't see them doing that. They could add a few players & get back to contention, but another qb isn't where their needs are.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #70
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Please, don't throw stones.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #71
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Please, don't throw stones.
Not throwing stones. I said the same thing several posts ago. It was either here or another message board, but it was mentioned that Dallas was either looking to shop Romo or that he might be let go or that his contract was not going to be renewed. In any case I remember the typical... "what do you think... sign him up? He's better then Grossman" statements.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #72
MTK
\m/

Romo signed a 6 year deal in 2007. Outside of some silly fan talk, there has been no legit talk of him being dealt.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:34 PM   #73
mredskins
MVP

If we draft Newton, me will be sad.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #74
warriorzpath

does anyone have a video of cam newton's plays in the oregon bowl game? Don't really want a highlight video. I want a video to analyze him because so far what I've seen of locker and gabbert in their bowl games doesn't really impress me.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #75
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorzpath View Post
does anyone have a video of cam newton's plays in the oregon bowl game? Don't really want a highlight video. I want a video to analyze him because so far what I've seen of locker and gabbert in their bowl games doesn't really impress me.
Try watching the game at espn3.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote