How to spend our money?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 07-11-2011, 07:25 PM   #31
MTK
\m/

Re: How to spend our money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
No CB? Besides MeAngelo "Toast" Hall, who else is there?
Sure, corner will be a need especially if Los wants big money. My quick hitting list wasn't meant to be very thorough.

Advertisements
Old 07-11-2011, 07:51 PM   #32
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I'm just curious if anyone recollects how good has the media been at predicting what BA and MS have done. Weren't some ppl in the sports media speculating that we were going after Peppers and nothing ended up happening?
All Smootsmack did last year was talk about how we were going to go after Peppers and how Peppers was a lock to come here then free agency starts and we get no Peppers. Smootsmack was terrible on that one. Even after he signed with the Bears Smoot shifted gears to, "Dude just watch we're going to find a way to trade for Peppers before the trade deadline in a four team trade that will also get the Skins Justin Smith and Chase Daniel."

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:39 PM   #33
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
All Smootsmack did last year was talk about how we were going to go after Peppers and how Peppers was a lock to come here then free agency starts and we get no Peppers. Smootsmack was terrible on that one. Even after he signed with the Bears Smoot shifted gears to, "Dude just watch we're going to find a way to trade for Peppers before the trade deadline in a four team trade that will also get the Skins Justin Smith and Chase Daniel."
LOL! I also said there was no way we'd sign Grossman and Torain and trade for Brown. Damn me!

I still want Smith and Chase here
Old 07-12-2011, 01:08 AM   #34
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
The Bills would be absolutely dumb to let one of their leaders and truly solid players go.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:13 AM   #35
GTripp0012
Living Legend

I was fidgeting around with this the other day just to see how far cap dollars would go, so that this could be made into a blog post.

Here's what I actually wrote down:

QB Caleb Hanie (2011 cap: $1.4 mil)
QB Rex Grossman (2011 cap: $1.0 mil) (non-guaranteed)
RB Jerious Norwood (2011 cap: $.7 mil)
FB Vonta Leach (2011 cap: $1 mil)
RG Mike Brisiel (2011 cap: $.9 mil)
RT Ryan Harris (2011 cap: $1.6 mil)
NT Alan Branch (2011 cap: $.6 mil)
DE Cullen Jenkins (2011 cap: $2.5 mil)
LB Chris Wilson (2011 cap: $.7 mil)
LB Matt Roth (2011 cap: $1.3 mil)
LB HB Blades (2011 cap: $.7 mil)
CB William Gay (2011 cap: $.7 mil)
CB Philip Buchanon (2011 cap: $1 mil)
S Reed Doughty (2011 cap ($.9 mil)

Total cap money spent on UFA $13.8 million
Players added: 14

If you want to pencil in Nnamdi, you're going to have to put away about $7 million of 2011 cap space to do so. That would seem to make the Bucs the only team that is actually "likely" to get him. The Raiders and Cowboys are going to be hard pressed to match a best offer, the Lions feel like they're going to be priced out of the market for him, the Texans are going hard after him but if it comes down to best offer, Tampa almost certainly can beat it.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:13 AM   #36
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
LOL! I also said there was no way we'd sign Grossman and Torain and trade for Brown. Damn me!

I still want Smith and Chase here
You.....Sudanese are all the same............
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #37
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Would they make the same mistake again? Doubt it but we'll see. Different people calling the shots now too.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #38
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
I was fidgeting around with this the other day just to see how far cap dollars would go, so that this could be made into a blog post.

If you want to pencil in Nnamdi, you're going to have to put away about $7 million of 2011 cap space to do so. That would seem to make the Bucs the only team that is actually "likely" to get him. The Raiders and Cowboys are going to be hard pressed to match a best offer, the Lions feel like they're going to be priced out of the market for him, the Texans are going hard after him but if it comes down to best offer, Tampa almost certainly can beat it.
Very interesting post,

I'd take about half the guys you wrote down, yet year after year the redskins go after about half the guys I want and half the guys I don't want so maybe you're on to something here. I bolded the players which I agree with you we should get/look at in FA.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #39
skinster
Impact Rookie

Quote:

Gtripp, I think your estimates are way off. Next year veterans are slated to make more than ever due to the raised salary floor, salary cap increase, the lowered rookie wage scale, and the shortened time to sign veterans will raise the price in a battle.

Keeping in mind that this years numbers contracts should be significantly larger than in the past, lets take a sample of veteran contracts from last year to compare to.

Kemo made 3.2, Rabach made 2.4, Hicks made 1.8, Golston made 1.8 (tendered), Heyer made 1.7, Wilson made 1.7, Buchanon made 1.5, Montgomery made 1.2, Sellers made 1.1, Daniels made 0.9, and Alexander made 0.9.

I don't see very many of your numbers being accurate considering many of the players you mentioned were significantly more talented than the players I just mentioned, and are making less in their first year of their contract (compare cullen jenkins 1st year of 2.5 to kemos 1st year of 3.2) when they are more talented, which demand a higher price tag, and are participating in a market which will demand significantly higher contracts for veterans.

Look at what comparable veterans have made in the past to the players you mentioned in their first year. Add a minimum of a million on to that and that is what that should be a more accurate indication of what their 2011 cap number should be.

Not to mention we need to hit the salary floor also.

P.S. There is no way Nnamdi is making 7 mil in any year of his contract. I've heard reports that he will be making 18 mil a year, which even if that is not true, it should still be way too high for him to make 7 mil in any year of his contract.
skinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:59 AM   #40
skinster
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Would they make the same mistake again? Doubt it but we'll see. Different people calling the shots now too.
I think the best bet of him leaving buffalo would be him just wanting to leave. With Fletcher hindsight is 20/20, and yes they should have kept him, but at the time it wasn't the worst move in the world to let him walk. He was 31 years old at the time, and wanted a 5 year deal. Buffalo being a small market team, I'd say made the right decision in letting their older player walk due to their restricted budget.
Not to mention the patriots philosophy of not resigning older players works out pretty well for them. Let players leave while their still good (and get compensation in the draft) as opposed to keep them around until they get bad. Something the redskins never learned (Jon Jansen, Randy Thomas, Bruce Smith, need I go on?).

I know this site too well and I know people will not read my post in depth, I just want to emphasize that I did say they made the wrong move by not resigning him (in hindsight).
skinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #41
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Fletcher is a rare exception. Buffalo did the right thing letting Fletcher go. More often or not, you'll get burned 8 times out of 10 if you signed a 32 year old ILB to a big money contract. Not good odds and generally not a smart thing to do. It's just fortunate for us that the guy has played his heart out, which is probably why he's lasted as long as he has. Posluszny on the other hand is 26 years old. You can't compare the two.
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:45 PM   #42
musicmaster45
Special Teams

Posluszny would be a fantastic player i think it would be adding more fire to the great flame our line backing core will be. I would be uber ecstatic. With Ike Taylor Brian Membeane and cullen Jenkins our D will be scary
Old 07-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #43
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmaster45 View Post
Posluszny would be a fantastic player i think it would be adding more fire to the great flame our line backing core will be. I would be uber ecstatic. With Ike Taylor Brian Membeane and cullen Jenkins our D will be scary
Pos will not be a redskin, he wants to be back in Buffalo where he's the star on a bad team, or in a 4-3 defense like the Eagles, Jags, or Giants. Membane is a 4-3 DT, not a NT, and Seattle wants to resign him. He played NT in college but is better suited for the 4-3.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:00 PM   #44
musicmaster45
Special Teams

Pos might not have the option with Buffalo might not be able to afford him
Old 07-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #45
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
Pos will not be a redskin, he wants to be back in Buffalo where he's the star on a bad team, or in a 4-3 defense like the Eagles, Jags, or Giants. Membane is a 4-3 DT, not a NT, and Seattle wants to resign him. He played NT in college but is better suited for the 4-3.
Seattle plays an overshifted 4-3 a lot which means that Mebane has essentially played NFL nose tackle a lot and done it well. If Seattle doesn't want him, he would fit quite well with us.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote