Cap Analysis - Chill It, Skillet

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #16
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Cap Analysis - Chill It, Skillet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalDefense View Post
No, no, no but you can't get your franchise QB and not protect him or give him somebody to throw it to. You currently have no star ILB nor a single starting safety.
My outline in this thread includes a solid contract to retain Fletcher. And the point of this is to show that the team can create the space to upgrade at safety and on the offensive line, if they really want to.

Advertisements
Old 03-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #17
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

Welcome back Schneed you are a true cap brother.

I'm not yet ready to factor in the BS cap charge, especially given the Skins' reaction.

I did an update with Sellers and Atogwe. I had Atogwe's deadcap hit at $400K on my latest sheets, but upon further review I think it is actually zero. This coincides with Rotoworld and I expect PCinOZ to have the same when he updates.

I currently have us at $39.2M cap room.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #18
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

Good stuff thanks for talking me down of the ledge.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #19
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck View Post
Welcome back Schneed you are a true cap brother.

I'm not yet ready to factor in the BS cap charge, especially given the Skins' reaction.

I did an update with Sellers and Atogwe. I had Atogwe's deadcap hit at $400K on my latest sheets, but upon further review I think it is actually zero. This coincides with Rotoworld and I expect PCinOZ to have the same when he updates.

I currently have us at $39.2M cap room.
Thanks. I think you're smart to leave the adjustment out of the equation, because reading the tea leaves, it's clear that the Cowboys and Redskins talked and are forming a united front against the NFL on this one. They both issued nearly identical statements at the same time. I think they'll fight this adjustment tooth and nail. I wouldn't put it past the 'Skins to approach free agency as if this isn't even happening, and count on the lawyers to make it go away later.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #20
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Besides, I didn't want a mass spending spree anyway. I want a big name WR and some safety help, that's about it. Otherwise, I want Allen and Shanahan to continue building talent through the draft.

Trying to transform the team with an overnight spending spree is how we've gotten into trouble in years past. I think the media overstates Shanahan's need to produce a winner in the third year of his contract, I think Snyder still has his back even if he goes 6-10 this year.

But honestly, I think winning record is more than attainable just through the addition of Robert Griffin, the rest of the draft class, a big name WR, and most importantly - HEALTH.

A spending spree just isn't wise, anyway. Philadelphia Eagles circa 2011, anyone?
could not agree more with this statment.

thanks for the op, very helpful, and i agree on 99% of your moves as well

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #21
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Nice to see cooler heads prevailing on here. Great update Schneed, and thanks for clarifying everything in an easy to read manner.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #22
alpineONE
Camp Scrub

I still feel sick
alpineONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:33 PM   #23
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Thanks. I think you're smart to leave the adjustment out of the equation, because reading the tea leaves, it's clear that the Cowboys and Redskins talked and are forming a united front against the NFL on this one. They both issued nearly identical statements at the same time. I think they'll fight this adjustment tooth and nail. I wouldn't put it past the 'Skins to approach free agency as if this isn't even happening, and count on the lawyers to make it go away later.
You and CC need to "get a room".
.....with a calculator
....and access to Excel
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:14 AM   #24
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
They probably overnight FedEx'd it. That's how the send suspension and fine notices to players, I believe. Such crap by the league, if true; 24 hours before free agency.
If you're right about the overnight Fedex, then that would mean that the Skins and Cowboys will be notified that they have been penalized sometime on the same day that FA starts. What a mean-spirited kick in the teeth that is!

Well, Roger Goodell and the owners who pushed for these penalties have picked a fight with two men and two franchises who are formidable enough when they stand alone. Now, it looks like the Skins and the Cowboys are going to fight this together.

For one thing, I don't believe for a second that there weren't a number of deals made during the uncapped year by teams other than the four teams that were penalized that violated the so-called "gentlemen's agreement" but were conveniently overlooked. Not only is the timing of these penalties unfair but I think that the penalties may have been selectively assessed against the "worst" offenders.

Another thing that this action does is to highlight possible collusion among NFL owners. That's because the NFL is apparently trying to punish franchises that did not collude with the others. Congress might be interested in that.

If the NFL doesn't back off, I think that blood will flow before this is over.

Last edited by KI Skins Fan; 03-13-2012 at 12:16 AM.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:16 AM   #25
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
That and a bottom line calculation won't be necessary until 2013, since we're free to pay off as much as we want this year.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:21 AM   #26
steveo395
The Starter

I just thought of something. Since you can now roll over cap space from year to year, we can literally put the entire $36 million onto next year, while we go through with a law suit or whatever we are going to do. Then, say we end up with about $15-20 million in cap space after free agency and the draft (as long as we don't go too crazy), we can roll all of that over into next year. So it will still basically be splitting the money 50-50 each year in a worst case scenario. Best case is we win the law suit and keep all the money for ourselves.

Last edited by steveo395; 03-13-2012 at 12:26 AM.
steveo395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:25 AM   #27
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
You and CC need to "get a room".
.....with a calculator
....and access to Excel
Lol, don't forget Quickbooks

Seriously though you guys do great work. If I had to put together those numbers, man I think I might end up with a stroke.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG

Last edited by Dirtbag59; 03-13-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #28
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Why no Trent Williams restructure. From what I can see he's on the books for $12 million with a $1 million release fee. Thats an awful lot of base salary that could be converted into a bonus.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #29
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Why no Trent Williams restructure. From what I can see he's on the books for $12 million with a $1 million release fee. Thats an awful lot of base salary that could be converted into a bonus.
Excellent question. They should definitely explore that option, especially with his questionable future and all.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #30
12thMan
MVP

Schneed, on Monty's deal -- there was no signing bonus involved with his new contract, 4 years/ $12mil. So it'll be interesting to see if they restructure and now offer him some guaranteed money?
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote