Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Why Hasn't Anyone Talked About-A Possible Cancellation?

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Most likely scenario for the 2020 NFL season?
Starts on time and all regular season and playoff games are played 3 13.64%
Starts on time but doesn't finish 4 18.18%
Starts late but finishes 3 13.64%
Starts late but doesn't finish 2 9.09%
Stops and starts but finishes 2 9.09%
Stops and starts but doesn't finish 1 4.55%
Entire season canceled, no games played 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-25-2020, 01:42 PM   #1
Burgold
Special Teams

Why Hasn't Anyone Talked About-A Possible Cancellation?

I for one don't think that there will be an[NFL]season,with all that is going on now with folks coming down with the virus,folks keeping a distance and all,I don't see it..any opinions?
Burgold is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-25-2020, 01:43 PM   #2
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Re: Why Hasn't Anyone Talked About-A Possible Cancellation?

NBA and baseball will play within a few months. Probably sometime in June. Not sure about hockey. Why would they cancel NFL? It's not happening.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:18 PM   #3
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

NFL doesn't start till August, and that is preseason. IF we are still in this mode then, we will have much bigger worries than whether or not the NFL plays.

But in seriousness, coronavirus will be a talking point by July. Not that it will or won't be a concern, but we will have a handle on it for sure.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:34 PM   #4
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
NFL doesn't start till August, and that is preseason. IF we are still in this mode then, we will have much bigger worries than whether or not the NFL plays.

But in seriousness, coronavirus will be a talking point by July. Not that it will or won't be a concern, but we will have a handle on it for sure.
Unfortunately, I do not think this statement will age well.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:36 PM   #5
MTK
\m/

Too early to pull the plug on the season.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:51 PM   #6
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Too early to pull the plug on the season.
Yep, we know a little about COVID.. There's a chance we will figure out how to contain COVID within few weeks and there's a chance we won't be able to figure out how to contain it until months later. At this point, it's too early to determine for anythings that will occur months later. Only things we know for certain is what to do for next couple of weeks, which is to isolate yourself.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:29 PM   #7
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Unfortunately, I do not think this statement will age well.
if we don't have a handle on it by July, this country is in serious trouble, that is 3 months from now, with the virus having about a 4 month curve. Obviously, we don't have a full view yet of the US situation, but with testing in much higher gear, and the protective orders taking hold, I expect/hope we have a reasonable expectation of understanding it's scope within the next month, and by July whatever the new norm is, life will have moved into it's new path with regards to coronavirus.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:54 PM   #8
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

One option that I haven't seen discussed, (which makes sense because we're far from the point where it would become necessary), would be to play the season (or part of it) in empty stadiums (wouldn't change that much for us and a couple of franchises ^^).

The reasoning is that most of the money coming from TV deals, if that sh*t was to linger until September, the NFL could be willing to lose a piece of the cake in order to salvage most of it vs losing all the cake.

I've been spending quite a lot of time in Japan these days, and watching a lot of sumo wrestling. They held the March tournament without any audience, checking all wrestlers' body temperature 3 times a day, any wrestler going above 38,5° had to withdraw for one day, be checked for corona, and they would have cancelled the tournament if one out of the 650+ wrestlers had corona.

I understand the NFL is a way bigger business and that this system would be way more complicated to implement on a 2200 players (+coaches+refs++++) split on 30 different locations (vs 650 wrestlers in one location) ... but if corona was threatening this huge business, I don't think it's crazy to think the NFL would be willing to try just about anything to generate some $.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:13 PM   #9
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
They finally stopped playing Australian Rules Football, they just cancelled the season, they played through this past weekend. Looks like Sumo Wrestling is the only sport left.
Not even that my friend, the tournament ended last Sunday...
Old 03-26-2020, 02:06 PM   #10
Burgold
Special Teams

Two things are gonna wreck this season-paranoid folks-tramatized folks,after being told not to stand within 6ft of others over the coarse of several months folks aren't gonna just jump back into it,because this virus is gonna be in the back of folks minds,if somebody sneezes near you at the game you're gonna wonder if it's more than a sneeze..as I said-HUMAN NATURE...AIN'T GONNA BE NO FOOTBALL THIS SEASON!!
Burgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:11 PM   #11
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I help coach HS Football and that is is serious doubt right now, its scary and a real issue. I hope we do have football but right now I'd say it's 50-50
Old 03-26-2020, 02:56 PM   #12
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgold View Post
Two things are gonna wreck this season-paranoid folks-tramatized folks,after being told not to stand within 6ft of others over the coarse of several months folks aren't gonna just jump back into it,because this virus is gonna be in the back of folks minds,if somebody sneezes near you at the game you're gonna wonder if it's more than a sneeze..as I said-HUMAN NATURE...AIN'T GONNA BE NO FOOTBALL THIS SEASON!!
Speaking of paranoid folks...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2020, 03:17 PM   #13
MTK
\m/

My totally uneducated guess is in 6-8 weeks we’ll be able to dial back on restrictions in hot areas like NY. There will likely be another wave of infections so some social distancing restrictions will need to stay in place for another 4-6 weeks beyond that. By July the worst may be behind us and we could be starting to get back to normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2020, 03:19 PM   #14
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

^ I hope so man
Old 03-26-2020, 03:37 PM   #15
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
if we don't have a handle on it by July, this country is in serious trouble, that is 3 months from now, with the virus having about a 4 month curve. Obviously, we don't have a full view yet of the US situation, but with testing in much higher gear, and the protective orders taking hold, I expect/hope we have a reasonable expectation of understanding it's scope within the next month, and by July whatever the new norm is, life will have moved into it's new path with regards to coronavirus.
This will not happen if POTUS follows through with his statements on trying to have everything return to normal by Easter. Not going to get into political aspect of things here, but if that happens, this will likely not be over with by July. We really need to take this one day at a time, one week at a time, one month at a time. There are too many unknowns right now to make any declarations about July.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote