Redskins trade for Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-31-2018, 09:37 AM   #76
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Redskins trade for Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
According to Keim, Nicholson is injured and Redskins aren't sure how severe it is. Redskins wanted good back up plan so they got Dix. Smart move..
Makes more sense now, also John Clayton said this morning that GB decided to part ways mainly due to the fact that he is a FA after this season and they were not going to sign him Long term. Packers are another franchise like the Steelers, they don't spend big $ often.

Advertisements
Old 10-31-2018, 09:42 AM   #77
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
So think about the way the compensatory pick formula works because this is bloody brilliant. By trading a 4th rounder the Redskins acquire a player on his rookie deal, expiring this offseason. We could take a crack at resigning him. If we decide not to though, and he gets a big deal in free agency, then it helps us in the compensatory pick formula.

Depending who we sign in the same offseason, and depending how much Ha Ha signs for elsewhere, we could end up getting a 4th rounder coming back to us in 2020, just for letting him go in free agency.

It's really a no-downside play. Green Bay gets a 4th rounder in 2019 instead of in 2020 (compensatory if they didn't resign him).
Yeah...at first I didn't follow how everything worked out, but this aspect really works in our favor.

Im hopeful that he wants to stay. He is a really solid player entering his prime and a guy who been talented since day 1 having another pro bowl season. He has ALL PRO potential...not just a pro-bowler. Hoping the transition is an easy one to the defense.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:43 AM   #78
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Yeah...at first I didn't follow how everything worked out, but this aspect really works in our favor.

Im hopeful that he wants to stay. He is a really solid player entering his prime and a guy who been talented since day 1 having another pro bowl season. He has ALL PRO potential...not just a pro-bowler. Hoping the transition is an easy one to the defense.
Perfect timing as well with ATLANTA coming to town. Matt Ryan has been on fire but he has no run game and that is a great sign for us.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:51 AM   #79
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Perfect timing as well with ATLANTA coming to town. Matt Ryan has been on fire but he has no run game and that is a great sign for us.
Fire is an understatement...Mahomes is stealing all the QB headlines and rightfully so...But Matt Ryan is carrying that offense and poor defense. His receivers are the most talented group we've seen all year too...don't sleep on their TE Hooper too.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:51 AM   #80
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
Bad Tackling can sometimes be fixed. Bad mechanics or angle is fixable.
I am kind of shocked at the poor tackling technique I often see in NFL games, this isn't a recent phenomena, but didn't seem to happen back in the day. These are NFL professionals doing things that would get a High School kid extra laps at the next practice and a butt chewing during the game. Don't know if it is the limited game speed full contact in practice, subliminal fear of drawing a flag or more concern with doing something that gets the player on Sportscenter than executing a text book tackle.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:00 PM   #81
Irrefutable
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
can Dix learn the defense in a few days? I doubt it.
Irrefutable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:19 PM   #82
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

I suspect that Nicholson will start with Dix rotating in. From what I have seen on film, one of Dix's best attributes seems to be that he takes the "last line of defense" very seriously and plays the deep field conservatively. Hopefully, this helps prevent chunk plays.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:22 PM   #83
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
I suspect that Nicholson will start with Dix rotating in. From what I have seen on film, one of Dix's best attributes seems to be that he takes the "last line of defense" very seriously and plays the deep field conservatively. Hopefully, this helps prevent chunk plays.
All the while getting 3 INTs in the first 7 games of the season
Old 10-31-2018, 12:23 PM   #84
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrefutable View Post
can Dix learn the defense in a few days? I doubt it.

Is it really that complicated for a safety? Cover two, cover three, quarters etc. I think he should be able to contribute something right away.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:25 PM   #85
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Monte is apparently injured. Id like to see Ha Ha in there right away and most the time.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:45 PM   #86
Schneed10
A Dude

Does anybody find this Monte is injured stuff a little suspicious? Maybe the cynic in me, but he never appeared on any injury reports did he? And I didn't see him go down at all during the Giants game.

Now all of a sudden he's banged up? Weird. Just say you wanted more depth in the secondary.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:47 PM   #87
Meks
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Is it really that complicated for a safety? Cover two, cover three, quarters etc. I think he should be able to contribute something right away.
I tend to agree with this line of thought. The only thing different is the verbiage and assignments that may be a bit more specific than the blanket coverages you've mentioned. I hope there is no gaffes but I wouldn't put it past the quick change and adjustment period.. But what I am sure is that his new teammates all seem like they are happy he is here and will do all they can to help him get up to speed.
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:48 PM   #88
Schneed10
A Dude

Like are they saying Monte is injured because they don't want to admit publicly that he's not quite living up to their expectations? They set pretty high expectations - Jay came out and said in camp that Monte is to the defense what Jordan Reed is to the offense because of his range.

Like it's OK to say hey yeah Monte has range and we're excited for his future but we wanted more depth. It's obvious to everyone that this move is in response to shoring up the back end now that Tate and Cooper are in the division, and it's obvious to avid football people that Monte doesn't take the best angles at this point in his career.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:05 PM   #89
Meks
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Like are they saying Monte is injured because they don't want to admit publicly that he's not quite living up to their expectations? They set pretty high expectations - Jay came out and said in camp that Monte is to the defense what Jordan Reed is to the offense because of his range.

Like it's OK to say hey yeah Monte has range and we're excited for his future but we wanted more depth. It's obvious to everyone that this move is in response to shoring up the back end now that Tate and Cooper are in the division, and it's obvious to avid football people that Monte doesn't take the best angles at this point in his career.
Teams and coaches have done that in the past, but, that could really be psychologically damaging to a player so i'm not sure that it would be the best tact to take. Hopefully he's just on the mend and Dix is a good safety that Monte can also learn from and gel with... I would be surprised against some of the better offensive teams if we see 3 S on the field at the same time. Our cb depth is hurting right now and I wouldnt mind some new looks in the 2ndary as far as scheme and coverage go... only thing is i dont think that Manusky is that guy, lol.
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:09 PM   #90
Schneed10
A Dude

Great point, and maybe Monte could play a hybrid LB/S role in certain situations. He's tall and speedy.