Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Who will be the next coach of the Redskins and does it even freakin matter?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-21-2019, 03:54 PM   #166
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Re: Who will be the next coach of the Redskins and does it even freakin matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
That's great strategy.. Not sure what McCoy can help Haskins with though?
Supposedly he’s pretty smart and maybe has coaching in his future, his talent doesn’t match his smarts.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-21-2019, 04:11 PM   #167
skinsfan69
Living Legend

It will be interesting to see who even interviews. Everyone knows it's a bottom NFL job and a terrible place to work.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:49 PM   #168
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
That's great strategy.. Not sure what McCoy can help Haskins with though?
Id guess McCoy can help with many many things. Non playing things like how to pack for road games, how to eat properly, setting sleep schedules, handling social media and non-football distractions. Playing things like breaking down film together, going over formations, situational football .... I cant think of what McCoy couldnt help Haskins with.

Once Haskins is a starter, McCoy can help him with body recovery, dealing with disappointment, turning the page and moving on to the next opponent etc.

McCoy has a lot of experience in this league. he is basically a QB coach at this point and I think if Haskins is receptive and open to it .. it would be a very beneficial pairing.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:53 PM   #169
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Supposedly he’s pretty smart and maybe has coaching in his future, his talent doesn’t match his smarts.
You know I would not be surprised to see Colt coach at some level he clearly gets the game as you said he is only a career back up
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:27 PM   #170
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Kevin Sheehan today advocated that, this season being lost, the Redskins should trade any player who's not going to be there when this team has a chance to be competitive (either because of age and/or contract and/or not wanting to stay here) and who we can get value for, including: TW, Scherff, AP, P Richardson, Kerrigan, Norman ...

While I think some players in that list won't bring back much value, it's really hard to disagree IMO.
The debate on Scherff is open but if you're not ready to give him highest paid Guard in the NFL money, you should trade him.
I like Kerrigan, but he's 31 and has one year left on his contract... how well is he gonna be playing in 2 seasons when we can start hoping for anything legit ?
Old 10-22-2019, 12:40 PM   #171
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Kerrigan is having a down year as it is, it's time to move on from all of those guys including BS.. The skins should literally be having a fire sale like Miami
Old 10-22-2019, 01:29 PM   #172
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Kevin Sheehan today advocated that, this season being lost, the Redskins should trade any player who's not going to be there when this team has a chance to be competitive (either because of age and/or contract and/or not wanting to stay here) and who we can get value for, including: TW, Scherff, AP, P Richardson, Kerrigan, Norman ...

While I think some players in that list won't bring back much value, it's really hard to disagree IMO.
The debate on Scherff is open but if you're not ready to give him highest paid Guard in the NFL money, you should trade him.
I like Kerrigan, but he's 31 and has one year left on his contract... how well is he gonna be playing in 2 seasons when we can start hoping for anything legit ?
Sheehan's been saying the same thing since our 2018 season was over nearly every day on his podcast.

It's not going to happen as long as Bruce is in charge. Speaking of which...

Last year (or early this year, before the draft), i seem to recall Bruce making a comment to the effect that he and Jay both had losing records and were in the hot seat. I wonder if part of Bruce's reluctance to trade anyone and to continue to publicly state that theyre close is because he doesn't give two craps about the Redskins future - because he doesn't believe he'll be part of it.

I mean, think about it. Sure, Bruce could probably get a slew of first and second round picks by trading Williams, Kerrigan, Scherff, etc., but why do that if you believed you'd probably be fired and someone else would be using those picks?

Why would Bruce trade players who could presumably help the team get to a somewhat respectable record in 2019 - maybe 7-9 or 6-10 if the team gets on a streak. Then, Bruce could present Dan a plausible argument (or atleast one he believes is plausible) that theyre "close."

Perhaps i'm not looking at things the right way, but if Bruce truly felt secure in his job long-term, he WOULD be dealing players for picks. He'd be planning to build a team of young players to surround Haskins. He'd be wanting to acquire as many picks as possible to help pitch the job to a top end head coach in 2020. But he's not. Bruce is going all in on 2019, and the only reason that makes sense is if he believes his job is on the line.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:54 PM   #173
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Sheehan's been saying the same thing since our 2018 season was over nearly every day on his podcast.

It's not going to happen as long as Bruce is in charge. Speaking of which...

Last year (or early this year, before the draft), i seem to recall Bruce making a comment to the effect that he and Jay both had losing records and were in the hot seat. I wonder if part of Bruce's reluctance to trade anyone and to continue to publicly state that theyre close is because he doesn't give two craps about the Redskins future - because he doesn't believe he'll be part of it.

I mean, think about it. Sure, Bruce could probably get a slew of first and second round picks by trading Williams, Kerrigan, Scherff, etc., but why do that if you believed you'd probably be fired and someone else would be using those picks?

Why would Bruce trade players who could presumably help the team get to a somewhat respectable record in 2019 - maybe 7-9 or 6-10 if the team gets on a streak. Then, Bruce could present Dan a plausible argument (or atleast one he believes is plausible) that theyre "close."

Perhaps i'm not looking at things the right way, but if Bruce truly felt secure in his job long-term, he WOULD be dealing players for picks. He'd be planning to build a team of young players to surround Haskins. He'd be wanting to acquire as many picks as possible to help pitch the job to a top end head coach in 2020. But he's not. Bruce is going all in on 2019, and the only reason that makes sense is if he believes his job is on the line.
All you said absolutely makes sense... But it's BA, and he made stupid stubborned decisions that hurt the future of this team even way before he could possibly feel insecure about his job here (which I'm still not sure is true...).
Point is I could see him be totally confident Dan has his back and still make poor arrogance led choices like not trading TW and not wanting to pay Scherff...
Old 10-22-2019, 02:10 PM   #174
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
All you said absolutely makes sense... But it's BA, and he made stupid stubborned decisions that hurt the future of this team even way before he could possibly feel insecure about his job here (which I'm still not sure is true...).
Point is I could see him be totally confident Dan has his back and still make poor arrogance led choices like not trading TW and not wanting to pay Scherff...
At this point, I think the Trent situation is mostly about spite on both sides. And the team does want to pay Scherff, but Scherff most likely doesn't want to sign a long-term deal here - at least not presently. Its in his financial best interests to make the skins tag him next year and then sign a deal (with the skins or another team) under the new CBA in 2021. That said, I really don't think Scherff is worth what most fans think he is worth. We (as fans)have a long history of overvaluing our own players. For the past decade, most of our roster has been below-average talent-wise. But, we think its average. So we see Brandon Scherff and think he's an elite guard - maybe one of the best 2-3 in the league. But he's really not THAT great. He's top 10 for sure, but not top 2-3.

And to be completely honest, seeing the production we're getting from Flowers, is the difference between his play and Sherff's enough to justify paying him 4 times what Flowers is making (4M per year)? Because that's what top guard money is going to be. I personally don't think it is. Id rather let Scherff walk and get a mid-range RG in FA or in the draft, and use the money saved to get an elite playmaker at a skill position. Those are far harder to come by than a capable guard.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:29 PM   #175
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
At this point, I think the Trent situation is mostly about spite on both sides. And the team does want to pay Scherff, but Scherff most likely doesn't want to sign a long-term deal here - at least not presently. Its in his financial best interests to make the skins tag him next year and then sign a deal (with the skins or another team) under the new CBA in 2021. That said, I really don't think Scherff is worth what most fans think he is worth. We (as fans)have a long history of overvaluing our own players. For the past decade, most of our roster has been below-average talent-wise. But, we think its average. So we see Brandon Scherff and think he's an elite guard - maybe one of the best 2-3 in the league. But he's really not THAT great. He's top 10 for sure, but not top 2-3.

And to be completely honest, seeing the production we're getting from Flowers, is the difference between his play and Sherff's enough to justify paying him 4 times what Flowers is making (4M per year)? Because that's what top guard money is going to be. I personally don't think it is. Id rather let Scherff walk and get a mid-range RG in FA or in the draft, and use the money saved to get an elite playmaker at a skill position. Those are far harder to come by than a capable guard.
Agreed 100% about TW, and spite is rarely of wise council ...

About Scherff, while I agree we tend to over rate our own players and he's more likely in the top 10 range than in top 5 range, I still think you pay him.
He'll only be the highest paid G until the next one signs a huge contract. Losing an elite LT is a huge blow, losing a pro bowler RG on top of that is too much.

Plus I think for culture purposes at some point you have to keep the rare players you drafted that play well...

Finally, the more I watch football the more I think it's won in the trenches and I'd put having a dominant OL (+DL) ahead of having an extra skill player. But that's highly debatable.

Hey anyway, it's probably not going to happen so ^^
Old 10-22-2019, 04:27 PM   #176
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Agreed 100% about TW, and spite is rarely of wise council ...

About Scherff, while I agree we tend to over rate our own players and he's more likely in the top 10 range than in top 5 range, I still think you pay him.
He'll only be the highest paid G until the next one signs a huge contract. Losing an elite LT is a huge blow, losing a pro bowler RG on top of that is too much.

Plus I think for culture purposes at some point you have to keep the rare players you drafted that play well...

Finally, the more I watch football the more I think it's won in the trenches and I'd put having a dominant OL (+DL) ahead of having an extra skill player. But that's highly debatable.

Hey anyway, it's probably not going to happen so ^^
We aren't really missing TW. Penn is playing mighty damn good football. Not that i think Penn is the future - it just shows that you don't need to overpay for the position (however, if there is one position i would overpay at, its LT). As far as Scherff goes, a top 10 guard should not be getting as many holding penalties.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:03 PM   #177
Warthog
The Starter

I agree, we need to have a fire sale of veterans who will be gone next year. BA is still thinking the team can win 5-6 games this year and making his decisions based on that concept. He’s got Callahan drinking the same koolaide - we’re going to be able to turn this season around! I know it’s delusional but this is BA’s philosophy.

Unfortunately, the team is going to mentally give up on Callahan and his run-based offensive strategy. Guys will just slow down half a step or suddenly get “hurt” for the season. I doubt the team will win another game and we’ll just let guys go in the offseason. BA is going to trade TW in the off-season for half what he can get now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:21 AM   #178
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

O’Connell has Louis Riddick’s seal of approval:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/r...g-from-within/

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:44 AM   #179
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

need to hire Lou as well
Old 10-24-2019, 11:24 AM   #180
skinsfan69
Living Legend

I'm sure KO is a talented coach but if they hire him it means Allen will still be here. We need a regime change. GM and coach need to go hand and hand. They need to have the same football DNA, think the same on how to build a team.

I also do not want Riddick. Go get someone from the Pats who can establish culture. Or better yet, go talk to Ozzie Newsome. Give him a boat load of money and see if you can talk him into coming here for 4 years or so to get this thing turned around. If Dan truly wanted to win this is what he would do. But he doesn't want it bad enough. He'll stand pat w/ the status quo cause he needs a drinking buddy.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote