2022 veteran QB options

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-19-2022, 06:13 AM   #46
OnceWeWereKings
The Starter

Re: 2022 veteran QB options

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
There is zero chance he would over rule RR and this group when it comes to who plays quarterback.

Don’t get me wrong, he will never change. He will always be a squirmy douche, but even he knows better than to play that game again.

I think we thought that with other coaches, too...

::Mike Shanahan enters the chat::

I know I'm probably wrong about that, but still. I'm pretty sure all along the way we all had the "he's changed, and his meddling ways are over" attitude almost every time a new coach or gm has come here.
I hope it's different with rr....but it really is very much like the cycle of abuse.

Advertisements
Old 02-19-2022, 07:58 AM   #47
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
There is zero chance he would over rule RR and this group when it comes to who plays quarterback.

Don’t get me wrong, he will never change. He will always be a squirmy douche, but even he knows better than to play that game again.
Snyder did that on day one with the Haskins ordeal.
RR knew DH was not prepared to play but had to roll with him to hopefully validates Snyder pick.

There’s zero chance Snyder isn’t picking his qb this draft.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 08:55 AM   #48
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
Snyder did that on day one with the Haskins ordeal.
RR knew DH was not prepared to play but had to roll with him to hopefully validates Snyder pick.

There’s zero chance Snyder isn’t picking his qb this draft.
I think this is different ,RR and the new management team of the Commanders won't put up with that. Whatever the call on a QB is it's RR call.
Old 02-21-2022, 10:42 AM   #49
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

From 2014-2021 the #49ers posted a 49-80 record.

They were 31-14 with Jimmy Garoppolo as the starting quarterback.
Old 02-21-2022, 11:41 AM   #50
Redskins247
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post

This argument is very reminiscent of the Alex Smith arguments, even though they are very different QBs. The stats are ok, but the record is better than you think it would be, however we all see what we see when watching them...and it's unimpressive with both. I would say the record is due more to coaching staffs in place than the QBs in both of these cases...they were able to scheme around the QBs weaknesses and strengths and win games, but when it comes to the playoffs and a super bowl...you need your QB to shine and neither of those can/could do that.
Redskins247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 11:41 AM   #51
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

This past season:

TOP TARGETS IN KEY SITUATIONS

3RD DOWN = Terry (28 targets)
UNDER PRESSURE = Terry (35 targets)
VS DESIGNED BLITZES = Terry (41 Targets)
IN RED ZONE = Seals Jones (12)
Old 02-21-2022, 01:05 PM   #52
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins247 View Post
This argument is very reminiscent of the Alex Smith arguments, even though they are very different QBs. The stats are ok, but the record is better than you think it would be, however we all see what we see when watching them...and it's unimpressive with both. I would say the record is due more to coaching staffs in place than the QBs in both of these cases...they were able to scheme around the QBs weaknesses and strengths and win games, but when it comes to the playoffs and a super bowl...you need your QB to shine and neither of those can/could do that.
Agreed, BUT... If it meant consistently 10-11 regular season wins I'd easily take Jimmy G. I'd then look at an upgrade in'23 or '24 to take us to the next level. Right now a QB that gives us multiple winning seasons and a chance at the playoffs every year would be a major upgrade here.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 03:21 PM   #53
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins247 View Post
Jimmy G is just a winner, and by all accounts he's a great leader in the locker room, and his teammates / coaches love him and what he brings to the table. There's a reason BB drafted him and didn't really want to let him go.

He has had the benefit of good defenses and coaching, but show me a QB that has had great success, or made it to the Super Bowl (or close to it) on his own. That's just not the way this game goes.

His injury history is what gives me pause. In four years as a starter he's missed 25 out of 71 games.

There will be a market for his services though - Broncos, Steelers, Panthers, Lions, Saints, are just some of the teams that could be looking for a change at QB this offseason. I'd be willing to part with this year's 2nd and a day two pick in 2023 for him, but I'm afraid that won't get it done given the competition.

Desperate teams do desperate things, but I hope they don't consider parting with the 11th pick for him.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 04:24 PM   #54
Redskins 2021
Camp Scrub

Jimmy g has a big cap hit for team trading for him and want a new contract. I don't think there will be as much competition as everyone thinks for him.
Redskins 2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 08:57 AM   #55
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Jimmy G is just a winner, and by all accounts he's a great leader in the locker room, and his teammates / coaches love him and what he brings to the table. There's a reason BB drafted him and didn't really want to let him go.

He has had the benefit of good defenses and coaching, but show me a QB that has had great success, or made it to the Super Bowl (or close to it) on his own. That's just not the way this game goes.

His injury history is what gives me pause. In four years as a starter he's missed 25 out of 71 games.

There will be a market for his services though - Broncos, Steelers, Panthers, Lions, Saints, are just some of the teams that could be looking for a change at QB this offseason. I'd be willing to part with this year's 2nd and a day two pick in 2023 for him, but I'm afraid that won't get it done given the competition.

Desperate teams do desperate things, but I hope they don't consider parting with the 11th pick for him.

Jimmy G is a winner? Nah. He has basically played two seasons. Both with monster D’s, weapons abounding, and great coaching. You put Jimmy G on a mediocre team, or make him the focal point and he is far from a winner.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 09:27 AM   #56
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Jimmy G is a winner? Nah. He has basically played two seasons. Both with monster D’s, weapons abounding, and great coaching. You put Jimmy G on a mediocre team, or make him the focal point and he is far from a winner.
I disagree. He's a winner. He has just been unavailable or playing with injuries too often.

I definitely wouldn't consider the 49ers 2019 and 2021 defenses (the last two years they went deep into the playoffs with Jimmy G) "Monster D's". They were good - maybe top 10, but far from Monster.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 09:30 AM   #57
MTK
\m/

You can certainly do a lot worse than Jimmy G. If a guy like Darnold had multiple teams interested last year you can bet just as many and probably more teams will be sniffing around Jimmy G.
Old 02-22-2022, 11:38 AM   #58
MTK
\m/

Kyler Murray anyone?

Betting odds shift amid talk that Kyler Murray could leave the Cardinals

The maturity issues are a big red flag, but still something to think about if he was really available
Old 02-22-2022, 11:40 AM   #59
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post

Matt Stafford should be exhibit #1 about looking at a QB's W/L record in determining just how good (or bad) he really is.
Old 02-22-2022, 12:07 PM   #60
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Kyler Murray anyone?

Betting odds shift amid talk that Kyler Murray could leave the Cardinals

The maturity issues are a big red flag, but still something to think about if he was really available
He seems to be a bit of a baby but maybe Ron can fix that