Alex Smith’s Amazing Comeback(?)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-10-2020, 12:26 PM   #271
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Re: Alex Smith’s Amazing Comeback(?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post

Amazing is often overused .. but not in his case. Just amazing this guy is out there.
Looks like the elephant man leg. Wonder what it looks like now?

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-10-2020, 12:31 PM   #272
skinsfan69
Living Legend

What AS has done really is just short of a miracle. Not to mention he is a 100% outstanding guy. But at this point in his career and after such a crushing injury, he just isn't the same player. The goal is to compete for a SB. Not have a sub par 500 record and make the playoffs cause the division is so bad. Can you compete for a SB w/ Smith as your QB? I would say no, you can't. We simply will not be able to score week in and week out against a team like the Saints, Bucs or Rams, or even Dallas w/ a healthy Dak. We are going to need a guy to win games when the defense plays poorly. We need a guy who can take over a game, not just manage it. If we are going to get to that next level we need a guy who can take us there, who can make the guys on offense better. That guy is not Smith.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 12:33 PM   #273
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Worth pointing out, even 2 years ago, he never really had the weapons he had in SF and KC. He still had and has us winning.

Thinking about it, how about comeback player of the millennium? Has anyone else ever done what he did and come back, and be a winner too? And I'd consider extending that across all sports; Armstrong's come back from cancer might be the only example that ranks higher.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 12:35 PM   #274
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
What AS has done really is just short of a miracle. Not to mention he is a 100% outstanding guy. But at this point in his career and after such a crushing injury, he just isn't the same player. The goal is to compete for a SB. Not have a sub par 500 record and make the playoffs cause the division is so bad. Can you compete for a SB w/ Smith as your QB? I would say no, you can't. We simply will not be able to score week in and week out against a team like the Saints, Bucs or Rams, or even Dallas w/ a healthy Dak. We are going to need a guy to win games when the defense plays poorly. We need a guy who can take over a game, not just manage it. If we are going to get to that next level we need a guy who can take us there, who can make the guys on offense better. That guy is not Smith.
Completely disagree.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 12:56 PM   #275
SunnySide
Playmaker

I think you can win with Alex Smith as long as you have an OC who plays to his quick pass game strengths, have the right players to match the scheme plus a strong defense.

He and We are not set up to come from behind by 3 plus scores and I really credit the D for the comeback vs the Steelers more so than the offense bc they shut the door and allowed our offense time to chip away at the lead. A steelers TD in the 2nd half and we lose the game.

For the most part Alex Smith and select pieces like McLaurin/Gibson/Thomas/McKissic match up very well with our offensive scheme.

if we had a true run game between the tackles to lean on sometimes .... now that would be something.

But I do think this is about as good as Alex Smith will look/produce. This is a very good situation and fit for him.

edit - with all that said, I think his Steelers game was a step back. he played scared in the first half getting rid of the ball too quick and seemed to hesitate on some designed quick throws letting the window close.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 01:05 PM   #276
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Looks like the elephant man leg. Wonder what it looks like now?
It probably looks very similar except that the pink skin has probably healed up well and taken on a more natural color, and i'm sure it is less swollen.

You can see in some of the current photos of him that his lower leg still looks bumpy and wavy, and that is why I'm sure he will continue to wear the neoprene sleeve / cover over it and the brace that he wears.

I wonder if he will need more operations after his playing career has ended.
Old 12-12-2020, 08:55 PM   #277
mike340
Special Teams

We should hang on to Alex Smith and draft for other needs. He will help us win games, and with a few more pieces we should start having a good record. After all, players will accept less money to go to a team that is a winner.

Setting the salary cap equal for all teams means that bad teams almost never get better. With all this "making things fair" with allotting equal numbers of college football scholarships its amazing the turnover at the top of the national rankings from year to year (sarcasm). The same happens in the NFL. The Patriots were always able to get players on the cheap because the players felt they could win a championship with them. So getting/keeping a winning attitude (and making awesome second-half adjustments) is worth a lot for getting top-rate free agent talent without having to pay a hefty sum, and I think Alex at the helm (in the short term) along with getting more talent at other spots gives us the best chance of moving up into the upper half of the NFL.

On a final note, it's not the right time to get rid of Snyder. He has royally screwed it up for many years. But now that it appears that he's finally doing it right is not the correct time to ditch him.
But it appears that Bezos (who owns the Washington Post and forced our name change) may want to buy the team. Since a team name usually is supposed to inspire "fear" in the opponent, if he buys the team, may I suggest the name (Amazon) Cannibals. (sarcasm)
mike340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 11:18 PM   #278
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike340 View Post
We should hang on to Alex Smith and draft for other needs. He will help us win games, and with a few more pieces we should start having a good record. After all, players will accept less money to go to a team that is a winner.

Setting the salary cap equal for all teams means that bad teams almost never get better. With all this "making things fair" with allotting equal numbers of college football scholarships its amazing the turnover at the top of the national rankings from year to year (sarcasm). The same happens in the NFL. The Patriots were always able to get players on the cheap because the players felt they could win a championship with them. So getting/keeping a winning attitude (and making awesome second-half adjustments) is worth a lot for getting top-rate free agent talent without having to pay a hefty sum, and I think Alex at the helm (in the short term) along with getting more talent at other spots gives us the best chance of moving up into the upper half of the NFL.

On a final note, it's not the right time to get rid of Snyder. He has royally screwed it up for many years. But now that it appears that he's finally doing it right is not the correct time to ditch him.
But it appears that Bezos (who owns the Washington Post and forced our name change) may want to buy the team. Since a team name usually is supposed to inspire "fear" in the opponent, if he buys the team, may I suggest the name (Amazon) Cannibals. (sarcasm)
If a Zach Wilson or Trey Lance is available at 19 (where we will pick after winning the east) You have to take one
Old 12-13-2020, 08:32 AM   #279
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Alex been a great story, but we should look to improve the position. I’d say trading out Haskins for another young QB would be the way to go. Kyle Allen probably not getting a contract coming off serious injury...I’d say Alex, Kyle and another young QB.

I’d say we are not under pressure to chose a QB early, tho. I think chosing the right kinda player for the culture change is important.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 02:33 AM   #280
Warthog
The Starter

Alex Smith’s Amazing Comeback(?)

Chico I have to respectfully disagree with you. We need a young franchise QB who can pass, manage the game and most importantly, be a good or very good RUNNER to extend plays, get yardage with his feet and just keep the defense honest . All the top QB in the draft now have those traits. If you can draft correctly, you get a great QB to help the team win for at least a decade. Wouldn’t that be nice??!

Alex Smith has almost zero mobility and can NOT out run anyone anymore. This is a big handicap. Allen is unproven on this team and frankly a gamble with his injury. Haskins may not have the ability to be a starting QB in the NFL. He needs to spend the summer working in his FUNDAMENTALS, which are still a very weak part of his game. Then the mental pet of the game. We simply do not have the time to see if he can be a good QB in 2-3 years.

Draft the BEST QB left in the draft with our first round pick. Start him right away and use Alex as his backup and mentor.
Trade Haskins for whatever the market will bear - which isn’t much. Allen as our third Qb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 02:43 AM   #281
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Chico I have to respectfully disagree with you. We need a young franchise QB who can pass, manage the game and most importantly, be a good or very good RUNNER to extend plays, get yardage with his feet and just keep the defense honest . All the top QB in the draft now have those traits. If you can draft correctly, you get a great QB to help the team win for at least a decade. Wouldn’t that be nice??!

Alex Smith has almost zero mobility and can NOT out run anyone anymore. This is a big handicap. Allen is unproven on this team and frankly a gamble with his injury. Haskins may not have the ability to be a starting QB in the NFL. He needs to spend the summer working in his FUNDAMENTALS, which are still a very weak part of his game. Then the mental pet of the game. We simply do not have the time to see if he can be a good QB in 2-3 years.

Draft the BEST QB left in the draft with our first round pick. Start him right away and use Alex as his backup and mentor.
Trade Haskins for whatever the market will bear - which isn’t much. Allen as our third Qb.

What quarterback is going to be worth taking at pick number 32?
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 02:47 AM   #282
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post

Lol! Kirk Cousins was a fourth round pick, so it is possible to get a good QB that wasn’t selected in the first round. Kyle Smith is getting some very good starters that weren’t from the top 3 draft rounds. Still, I think the team could trade up, without going crazy about it and get a very good QB in the first round.

Flyboy.

Old 12-19-2020, 02:57 AM   #283
Warthog
The Starter

Lol!

I think the WFT will draft somewhere in the 10-20 spot next year. Mahommes was drafted at spot #10 in the 2017 draft. So we don’t need trade the farm away to get a chance at a top-end QB.

Flyboy.

Old 12-19-2020, 08:13 AM   #284
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

So I am wondering now if Alex's calf injury is more serious than is being reported.

After our last game, he was seen walking around and seemed like he wasn't in pain, but walking is not the same as jogging or running. Plus, the fact that the injury is on his "bad" leg, I wonder if more is amiss than just a simple calf strain.

I guess we will know a lot more if Alex doesn't practice again this week.....
Old 12-19-2020, 09:20 AM   #285
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Wasnt baltimores qb taken right around the last pick of the first round?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote