Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Wft quarterback of the future

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-14-2020, 07:34 PM   #31
Big C
Mr. Brightside

Re: Wft quarterback of the future

I'd look at a trade for Stafford if we could somehow get around his huge cap hit. Defense is really good right now and will likely be hard to keep all of our defensive pieces together in time to wait for a late 1st round qb to develop.

Trade for Stafford or someone of that ilk, then draft a QB in round 3-4 to develop under him for 3 years or so.

Advertisements
Old 12-14-2020, 08:11 PM   #32
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
So, what's the plan, take the $32 million cap hit AND bring in a guy like Stafford, Fitz, etc. and pay them what they are going to demand? No way that is happening.

If it is the difference between winning and losing then yes. Keep Alex as a backup. Whatever you would be paying his replacement comes right off the top. Offer Alex a position for life and work a deal? Idk. Not my job. But he cannot start 16 games next year and us expect to be serious contenders. So however they make it happen make it happen.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:21 PM   #33
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Also there are other contacts that could be done. RK amongst them. Love the guy but is he really necessary at this point with that group? Sure there are others. Bottom line is we are not “stuck” with Alex as the starter next year. Those guys get alot of money. Figure it the fuck out and get us a good quarterback while we have this defense locked up. This defense is ready to beat anyone anytime now.
Old 12-14-2020, 08:46 PM   #34
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

You draft another young QB, keep Smith to mentor him, we need someone to move the ball, our O will be fine next year. We have contracts of key players coming up and the last you want to do is to throw unnecessary cash. Fitzmagic is hot and cold, no thanks. The others are cost prohibitive.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:56 PM   #35
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
You draft another young QB, keep Smith to mentor him, we need someone to move the ball, our O will be fine next year. We have contracts of key players coming up and the last you want to do is to throw unnecessary cash. Fitzmagic is hot and cold, no thanks. The others are cost prohibitive.

This --- draft a QB to be the man. Keep Smith here to start the first couple of games, and mentor the youngster. Kyle Allen can be the third guy in the room.

Rookie QB cap hit would make it possible to keep the DLine together, if we are inclined. Jonathon Allen has been phenomenal, but, if push came to shove, he'd be the guy I would let go. With Ioannidis, Settle and Daron Payne, your looking good on the inside. But hanging on to J Allen should be a goal.
Pervis_Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:04 PM   #36
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervis_Griffith View Post
This --- draft a QB to be the man. Keep Smith here to start the first couple of games, and mentor the youngster. Kyle Allen can be the third guy in the room.

Rookie QB cap hit would make it possible to keep the DLine together, if we are inclined. Jonathon Allen has been phenomenal, but, if push came to shove, he'd be the guy I would let go. With Ioannidis, Settle and Daron Payne, your looking good on the inside. But hanging on to J Allen should be a goal.
He's a captain, they would not get rid of him. I wish we could keep all of them, I hate the salary cap and free agency.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 12-14-2020, 09:12 PM   #37
rocnrik
Playmaker

IF Stafford had been our starting QB this year .. I believe we would have at least 3-4 more wins and be a threat in the playoffs ... I’m I crazy ..😀
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:12 PM   #38
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I dont know the right answer but I actually trust Rivera and this new WFT structure/staff to do due diligence and develop the right plan.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:15 PM   #39
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:

That is fine. See you in 2022. Maybe. If the guy pans out. Because Smith and Allen and DH are not winning us a super bowl next year. They are not bringing us close to one.
I have no problem with drafting a quarterback but we need a more productive stop gap to mentor him because we can win big with one while the youngster learns. The rest of this team is good enough to win big now. The Quarterback position is literally holding us back.
I think taking the money into account and taking your time is fine ... unless our draftee turns into DH again. I believe there is a way to get someone better than Smith for next year that gives us a chance to win without breaking the bank and mortgaging our future all while grooming someone for the future.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:30 PM   #40
rocnrik
Playmaker

Matthew stafford .. would be my answer for next 3-4 years with the D we have in place now .. that is our best chance to win it all ... we have a small window with this D ... a rookie will take a while to get the hang .. I’m looking at all the vets who possibly could be had ... I know it would be pricey however it could be done...
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:17 PM   #41
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
That is fine. See you in 2022. Maybe. If the guy pans out. Because Smith and Allen and DH are not winning us a super bowl next year. They are not bringing us close to one.
I have no problem with drafting a quarterback but we need a more productive stop gap to mentor him because we can win big with one while the youngster learns. The rest of this team is good enough to win big now. The Quarterback position is literally holding us back.
I think taking the money into account and taking your time is fine ... unless our draftee turns into DH again. I believe there is a way to get someone better than Smith for next year that gives us a chance to win without breaking the bank and mortgaging our future all while grooming someone for the future.
How did Joe Gibbs win? Were any of his QB's stars besides Theismann? Next year barring injury we are going to be stacked on both sides, we have some really good players on IR even though unproven, my gut tells me Charles, AGG, Love and maybe even Ruben Foster will pan out. We need someone to manage the ball not a superstar.

I'm intrigued with Steven Montez, maybe with some coaching and mentoring he could rise above Allen and Haskins. I hope he goes to camp next year.

Purveyor of fine Filth

Last edited by SFREDSKIN; 12-15-2020 at 12:23 AM.
Old 12-15-2020, 06:28 AM   #42
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
How did Joe Gibbs win? Were any of his QB's stars besides Theismann? Next year barring injury we are going to be stacked on both sides, we have some really good players on IR even though unproven, my gut tells me Charles, AGG, Love and maybe even Ruben Foster will pan out. We need someone to manage the ball not a superstar.

I'm intrigued with Steven Montez, maybe with some coaching and mentoring he could rise above Allen and Haskins. I hope he goes to camp next year.

Who said anything about a star quarterback? I said someone better than Smith. Someone who can throw it 10-15 yards consistently certainly does not constitute a star.

Doug Williams, Mark Rypien, even Schroeder - those guys when they played for us were all waaaaaaaay more capable than Alex is now. It is not even close.

Not to mention Gibbs also had a hof rb and o line and one of the best wr trios in history. A phenomenon tight end. A Kicker who never missed.
Old 12-15-2020, 06:49 AM   #43
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Kyle Allen should play and start over Alex Smith next season IF HEALTHY

Start there.

Kyle will be cheaper and has played just as well.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 09:15 AM   #44
Ohioskins
Special Teams

I just don't see how we get any of the top 4 QB's in the draft. We will not pick high enough.
Ohioskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 09:16 AM   #45
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
If it is the difference between winning and losing then yes. Keep Alex as a backup. Whatever you would be paying his replacement comes right off the top. Offer Alex a position for life and work a deal? Idk. Not my job. But he cannot start 16 games next year and us expect to be serious contenders. So however they make it happen make it happen.
We'll see. Maybe they try to grab a FA QB in the off season. Maybe they draft the future WFT QB. Maybe DH is the starter day 1. We'll just have to wait and see. I don't know what they will do, or can do.

But if Alex is healthy, this team can be serious contenders. They are now, and he didn't even start until week 9. They are 4-1 with him as the starter - should be 5-0 if it weren't for a bone head penalty by the best player on the team. Alex is the reason this team is a serious contender right now. The defense obviously deserves an equal amount of credit, they have been good all year. However, this team wasn't playing complementary football until Smith became the starter.

Maybe a better QB will fall into their lap for next to nothing in 2021. I don't buy it, but maybe... If not, and Alex is g2g, then I'm fine with rolling with him until he isn't.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote