Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Not drafting a QB a mistake?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2015, 10:52 PM   #31
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 10,675
Re: Not drafting a QB a mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Like with any prospects in any draft some coaches and scouts will like them and some wont. Only time will tell.

For me its as simple as this:

Would you agree that QB is a position that needed to be addressed?

Was that area addressed?
Not quite so simple for me:
QB needs to be addressed? TBD
Was that area addressed? insufficient info at this time

I personally think like many others the SB winning QB of the Redskins may not be in Burgundy and Gold. Furthermore....regardless of the QB, this team had no hope of real success as it had to many holes in the supporting cast. Still have plenty of holes and upgrades to be done, but it's a start.
I don't really think our guys were impressed at any of the top qb prospects (at least at the top) enough to consider going after one. I cannot disagree with their moves to date as they have filled some holes.......added good depth......upgraded special teams.
As has been stated, our qb's will all look better with the personnel changes we have made.
Fill all the obvious holes you can and see how the remainder looks....
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
“God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.” – Joe Gibbs
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-24-2015, 11:41 PM   #32
30gut
Playmaker
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,294
Re: Not drafting a QB a mistake?

...So the consensus seems to be that not drafting a QB, despite the need, wasn't a mistake because they all suck?
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:56 PM   #33
Defensewins
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,373
Re: Not drafting a QB a mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
...So the consensus seems to be that not drafting a QB, despite the need, wasn't a mistake because they all suck?
No. That is not what I think happened. I feel our draft board and ranking of Qb's (in terms of value and where they should be drafted) resulted in us not finding value enough to select one.
So rather than REACHING for a QB, like we reached for OG Josh LeRibeus years ago, what a mistake that was. Our GM decided to stick to his draft board. That is all. No grand mistake or colossal problem as your hoping someone will say. It is not a big deal that we did not spend a draft pick in this draft on a QB.
We can still get one that is cut from another team or get one next draft.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:02 AM   #34
MTK
‎\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 90,949
Re: Not drafting a QB a mistake?

SM is focused on a long term plan here. With a strong cast around the QB and a good defense you don't have to be so QB dependent to have a winning season, like in 2012.

The QB class was so meh this year, and we had so many other needs to fill as well. I've got no problem with not drafting one.

Halliday was a good developmental plan but obviously his heart wasn't in it.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:02 AM   #35
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 10,675
Re: Not drafting a QB a mistake?

One of the many things I find.....exciting about the new regime is the return to the power running game.
BITD...Everybody on the field knew we were going Counter trap. They could not stop it. When they committed the resources to the line to stop it, Art Monk was reeling in a 50 yard strike. I am very excited to see the B & G returning to that type foundation.
BUT....we have to have the horses...SM is with that plan
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
“God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.” – Joe Gibbs
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:12 PM   #36
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Posts: 16,472
Re: Not drafting a QB a mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
...So the consensus seems to be that not drafting a QB, despite the need, wasn't a mistake because they all suck?
I think it is more that there were many needs, at many levels of our team. And that at each point where we had a selection to make, the powers that be chose other holes to fill rather than a 3rd string qb with some potential. And most fans are OK with the choices and the track record of the person making the choices.

Sent from my S6 Edge
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:59 PM   #37
skinsfan69
Gamebreaker
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA and San Diego, CA
Posts: 12,536
Re: Not drafting a QB a mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
No. That is not what I think happened. I feel our draft board and ranking of Qb's (in terms of value and where they should be drafted) resulted in us not finding value enough to select one.
So rather than REACHING for a QB, like we reached for OG Josh LeRibeus years ago, what a mistake that was. Our GM decided to stick to his draft board. That is all. No grand mistake or colossal problem as your hoping someone will say. It is not a big deal that we did not spend a draft pick in this draft on a QB.
We can still get one that is cut from another team or get one next draft.
So you don't think drafting Jones in the 3rd round wasn't a reach? Rb was already one of the few strengths on the team and Jones doesn't even catch the ball out of the backfield.

I would have kept Helu, very underrated player for us. Then coached up the group up on pass pro and maybe got a qb with that 3rd rounder. Or just someone else that was just a better player.

Love the draft except that 3rd round pick. Sucks that Halliday quit as we now have back the same three stooges at QB.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:35 PM   #38
Defensewins
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,373
Re: Not drafting a QB a mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
So you don't think drafting Jones in the 3rd round wasn't a reach? Rb was already one of the few strengths on the team and Jones doesn't even catch the ball out of the backfield.

I would have kept Helu, very underrated player for us. Then coached up the group up on pass pro and maybe got a qb with that 3rd rounder. Or just someone else that was just a better player.

Love the draft except that 3rd round pick. Sucks that Halliday quit as we now have back the same three stooges at QB.
It's not what I think, it is what SM thinks and he valued Jones at that point in the draft. I disagree that RB was a strength, we were a little thin in depth and small at RB. If we are committing to being a power running team we needed another physical RB.
Unlike others, I do not claim to know enough about every college player to know if Jones will be great or not.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:58 PM   #39
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 10,675
Re: Not drafting a QB a mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
It's not what I think, it is what SM thinks and he valued Jones at that point in the draft. I disagree that RB was a strength, we were a little thin in depth and small at RB. If we are committing to being a power running team we needed another physical RB.
Unlike others, I do not claim to know enough about every college player to know if Jones will be great or not.
WTF?....and you call yourself a Redskin fan...shame on you
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
“God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.” – Joe Gibbs
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:06 PM   #40
skinsfan69
Gamebreaker
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA and San Diego, CA
Posts: 12,536
Re: Not drafting a QB a mistake?

Don't know too much about Jones, but all the so called experts said he could have been there later on the draft. If he becomes a complete back, or like Lynch then that's an upgrade over Morris.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:26 PM   #41
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 45,256
Re: Not drafting a QB a mistake?

I thought they'd draft a QB, but you don't draft a position just to draft a position.Short of adding a QB the next best thing is helping the QBs you have. And, as much as I love Helu, I think Matt Jones will be way better for this team than Helu ever was
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:26 AM   #42
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Posts: 10,298
Re: Not drafting a QB a mistake?

I liked Helu for lot of reasons. I didn't like Helu for lots of reasons. Ultimately, he is a nice back up but nothing more. Lots like him out there.

As for the QB, this draft had zilch beyond the first two that warranted much of any consideration. Can see McC considering one each round and saying, "Nope, much better value, bigger need with [INSERT NAME]". Sure, it would have been fine to pick one up, but who? when?
__________________
Strap it up, hold onto the ball, and let’s go.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:39 AM   #43
Chico23231
Living Legend
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 20,949
Re: Not drafting a QB a mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I thought they'd draft a QB, but you don't draft a position just to draft a position.Short of adding a QB the next best thing is helping the QBs you have. And, as much as I love Helu, I think Matt Jones will be way better for this team than Helu ever was
For sure in regards to replacing helu. But more interested if Matt jones can be better for the skins than Alfmo.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:01 AM   #44
MTK
‎\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 90,949
Re: Not drafting a QB a mistake?

We needed a back that can block, Jones seems to be that guy. And if he ends up being the eventual successor for Morris, that's not a bad thing either.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:10 AM   #45
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 45,256
Re: Not drafting a QB a mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
For sure in regards to replacing helu. But more interested if Matt jones can be better for the skins than Alfmo.
It's possible. I'm not the biggest Alfmo fan though
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site has no official affiliation with the Washington Redskins or the NFL, we're just a bunch of fans talking football
Page generated in 0.35434 seconds with 10 queries