Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


NFL Anthem Policy

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2018, 03:19 PM   #16
OmahaRedskins
Impact Rookie
 
OmahaRedskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 652
Re: NFL Anthem Policy

I do not like the policy. Just make them stand and show some respect. If they do not want to, suspend them for 4 games. They have every right to protest, and the employer has every right to tell them to get bent.

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom of consequences. In this case, Kap is now out of work and has plenty of time to protest.
OmahaRedskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-27-2018, 04:19 PM   #17
Kope
Special Teams
 
Kope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NC
Posts: 372
Re: NFL Anthem Policy

I served over 20 years in combat arms units, been deployed alot. After seeing how people live and governments in alot of different countries across the world it reinforced the importance of the constitution and the bill of rights. I think it is flat wrong for sports to make a political stance. We have the right to say what we want. We have the right to assemble. We have the right to bear arms. We have the right to pursue happiness.

I believe there are more appropriate methods of protest in this case and would prefer the picked a more appropriate symbol. But I believe much more strongly that the players absolutely have the right to protest so I support the players.

The biggest problem this country has is the two major news networks citizens have access to make money by dividing people into red and blue, this and that. They make money by polarizing issues and demonizing opposing view points. It is not alot different than the yellow journalism of the Spanish American war....remember the Maine.

Extremism in any form is bad. When I run across a person who is supports entirely red or blue agendas I find them to be intolerant, close minded and unable to think for themselves. Every person I voluntarily spend time with support views from both sides of the spectrum.

The above two paragraphs are germane to the topic because this should not be an issue that requires a rule. The rules are in the constitution. This has been politicized by the media because it makes them money.
Kope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:42 PM   #18
MTK
‎\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 91,427
Re: NFL Anthem Policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy View Post
Simple solution.



Stop playing the national anthem before games!

Yeah but all the true patriots would be even more butt hurt if that happened

Just have the teams stay inside when it’s played
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:51 PM   #19
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Posts: 16,802
Re: NFL Anthem Policy

I still say have a period of social awareness before the anthem, where the players can bring issues and solutions up. Then have everyone on field for the anthem. If the point is to raise awareness let's use Americas strengths to overcome our weaknesses.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:31 PM   #20
punch it in
Gamebreaker
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Posts: 12,545
Re: NFL Anthem Policy

https://youtu.be/ls1YVhcLD2c


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:08 PM   #21
Daseal
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Posts: 8,332
Re: NFL Anthem Policy

I agree with the changes the NFL made for a few reasons. It's not because of blind patriotism or anything of that matter. Quite frankly, the kneeling didn't affect me one way or another because I'm normally not even watching until kickoff happens. That said, the NFL was between a rock and a hard place.

1) They were losing money and viewers over people not standing for the anthem. While I don't consider it a disrespectful stance, I can understand why people feel it is disrespectful. When it comes down to it - people are not tuning in to watch because people are kneeling -- they sure as hell are tuning out because of the kneeling.

2) Most people can get behind the cause of keeping people from being assaulted/discriminated against. Leaving the ability to protest opens the NFL up to OTHER protests as well. You can't say it's okay to protest policy violence -- but then not allow players to protest other things. What if you have someone who wants to pose for Pro/Anti Abortion Rights? Pro/Anti Immigration Rights? Pick any Pro/Con stance and put it in there.

3) Lastly - the NFL isn't trying to silence anyone. Most of us, at our jobs would not be able to take a political stance in front of our customers, and we see significantly fewer than the NFL sees. However, in our off time we're free to use our money, time, and influence towards political causes if we like. NFL players are no different. In fact I bet owners and NFL Brass would even be willing to put forward some resources towards helping these causes.

TL;DR: Allowing protests during the anthem only causes the NFL to lose viewers - not gain them, the NFL then has to allow protests for other more controversial topics, and most of us every day folks wouldn't be allowed to make political stands at work.
__________________
Best. Player. Available.

Last edited by Daseal; 05-29-2018 at 07:09 PM. Reason: I suck at numbering.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:15 PM   #22
punch it in
Gamebreaker
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Posts: 12,545
Re: NFL Anthem Policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I still say have a period of social awareness before the anthem, where the players can bring issues and solutions up. Then have everyone on field for the anthem. If the point is to raise awareness let's use Americas strengths to overcome our weaknesses.


But the ultimate strength is the anthem. If you believe your country is letting you down than you show your country that. Holding up a sign and than standing up in support of your country says “ im upset, but at the end of the day I support what we are”. And they do not. Nor should they. I hate to sound repetitive but NOBODY is protesting soldiers or songs or our flag. They are protesting what America seemingly stands for. So until racism is 100% dead - or at least dealt with by swift justice they should keep kneeling.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:16 PM   #23
punch it in
Gamebreaker
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Posts: 12,545
Re: NFL Anthem Policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
I agree with the changes the NFL made for a few reasons. It's not because of blind patriotism or anything of that matter. Quite frankly, the kneeling didn't affect me one way or another because I'm normally not even watching until kickoff happens. That said, the NFL was between a rock and a hard place.



1) They were losing money and viewers over people not standing for the anthem. While I don't consider it a disrespectful stance, I can understand why people feel it is disrespectful. When it comes down to it - people are not tuning in to watch because people are kneeling -- they sure as hell are tuning out because of the kneeling.



2) Most people can get behind the cause of keeping people from being assaulted/discriminated against. Leaving the ability to protest opens the NFL up to OTHER protests as well. You can't say it's okay to protest policy violence -- but then not allow players to protest other things. What if you have someone who wants to pose for Pro/Anti Abortion Rights? Pro/Anti Immigration Rights? Pick any Pro/Con stance and put it in there.



3) Lastly - the NFL isn't trying to silence anyone. Most of us, at our jobs would not be able to take a political stance in front of our customers, and we see significantly fewer than the NFL sees. However, in our off time we're free to use our money, time, and influence towards political causes if we like. NFL players are no different. In fact I bet owners and NFL Brass would even be willing to put forward some resources towards helping these causes.



TL;DR: Allowing protests during the anthem only causes the NFL to lose viewers - not gain them, the NFL then has to allow protests for other more controversial topics, and most of us every day folks wouldn't be allowed to make political stands at work.


Watch what happens to the ratings if they do not allow the first amendment to take place.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:23 PM   #24
Daseal
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Posts: 8,332
Re: NFL Anthem Policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Watch what happens to the ratings if they do not allow the first amendment to take place.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This is not a 1st amendment case. The government isn't silencing anyone. This is a private entity doing what's best for them by putting legal rules on their employees - the employees are free to do these activities when they're not working.
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:33 PM   #25
punch it in
Gamebreaker
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Posts: 12,545
Re: NFL Anthem Policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
This is not a 1st amendment case. The government isn't silencing anyone. This is a private entity doing what's best for them by putting legal rules on their employees - the employees are free to do these activities when they're not working.


It is a first amendment case in which the owners are silencing someone. Remember one thing also - anyone can serve a burger or chart spread sheets with a little bit of training. Not everyone can play football at such a high level. These players hold alot more weight than you think. Who is going to tune in for a strike? Nobody.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:38 PM   #26
Daseal
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Posts: 8,332
Re: NFL Anthem Policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
It is a first amendment case in which the owners are silencing someone. Remember one thing also - anyone can serve a burger or chart spread sheets with a little bit of training. Not everyone can play football at such a high level. These players hold alot more weight than you think. Who is going to tune in for a strike? Nobody.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Uhhhh, it's not. When it comes down to it - players are free to leave and viewers are free to tune out. It won't happen. The first amendment states:

Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
This is not being violated. You can not like the rule, and I understand why you dislike the rule. Everything about it is legal and I would guess that it would have significantly less ramifications than allowing the protests. Under the new rules, players ARE free to protest, but there will be a fine associated with it that they can pay if they like. My guess is the NFL will donate that money to charities that work on inequality issues.
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:42 PM   #27
punch it in
Gamebreaker
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Posts: 12,545
Re: NFL Anthem Policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
Uhhhh, it's not. When it comes down to it - players are free to leave and viewers are free to tune out. It won't happen. The first amendment states:







This is not being violated. You can not like the rule, and I understand why you dislike the rule. Everything about it is legal and I would guess that it would have significantly less ramifications than allowing the protests. Under the new rules, players ARE free to protest, but there will be a fine associated with it that they can pay if they like. My guess is the NFL will donate that money to charities that work on inequality issues.


By law you are correct but it is still a first amendment “issue” - maybe “case” was the wrong word to use. And again this is the NFL. Without the current 70% makeup of African Americans they have no product. The same can not be said for McDonalds. Those employees break the rules they simply hire new ones. The NFL players hold all the cards at the end of the day and there is no way they will follow suit with this bologna. No way.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
I'm living in yesterday's tomorrows.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:26 PM   #28
Chico23231
Living Legend
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 21,656
Re: NFL Anthem Policy

Next collective bargaining, if I’m the players I’m working now to let the everybody know we taking the owners to the woodshed. Save your damn money now.

And with me...it has nothing to do with the issue...which I have my own thoughts on...but this is strictly the process of which goodell has handled this and several other issues. It’s time for the players to take a stand.
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:38 PM   #29
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Posts: 10,340
Re: NFL Anthem Policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
By law you are correct but it is still a first amendment “issue” - maybe “case” was the wrong word to use. And again this is the NFL. Without the current 70% makeup of African Americans they have no product. The same can not be said for McDonalds. Those employees break the rules they simply hire new ones. The NFL players hold all the cards at the end of the day and there is no way they will follow suit with this bologna. No way.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
So much wrong with this.
1) Clearly, the players do not hold all the cards. If so, they would have played them by now.

2) This has been made into a speech issue by the cynical media and an uninformed population because it is absolutely a work conduct issue. Players speech on the job is absolutely regulated on the job. Have you seen how the NFL regulates uniforms? There is no question that players could not put a "black lives matter" or "MaKe America great again" patch/button/sticker/piece of tape with crudely written magic marker message on their jerseys/helmets/socks/bandana/on bottom of their shoe.

This is an employee conduct issue. The NFL should have treated it as such. A simple rule like "During pregame ceremonies players shall stand in unison along the sideline. At such times, players shall remove their helmets, stand with their hands at their side or with their left hand over their heart." Then accompany it with the statement "In order to promote the NFL brand and consistent with the league's existing rules regarding conduct and aparrel, the NFL has decided to adopt a standard policy regulating sideline conduct during pregame ceremonies. Violations of the adopted conduct regulations will be treated in the same manner as uniform violations."

It's legal, it makes sense, and players who want to violate the conduct every game are going to start paying big fines in short order.

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk
__________________
Strap it up, hold onto the ball, and let’s go.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:03 PM   #30
DYoungJelly
The Starter
 
DYoungJelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Clintwood, VA
Posts: 1,560
Re: NFL Anthem Policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Next collective bargaining, if I’m the players I’m working now to let the everybody know we taking the owners to the woodshed. Save your damn money now.

And with me...it has nothing to do with the issue...which I have my own thoughts on...but this is strictly the process of which goodell has handled this and several other issues. It’s time for the players to take a stand.
I am rooting for a strike too, but for so many reasons other than the Anthem. I can't stand Goodell.

The average career is so short. The roster churn that results from such short careers really works against the players union being able to mount a sustained, united offensive.
__________________
I'm tired of these monkey fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane!
DYoungJelly is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site has no official affiliation with the Washington Redskins or the NFL, we're just a bunch of fans talking football
Page generated in 0.21594 seconds with 10 queries