Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Remember the Titans: Pregame Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-19-2018, 10:25 AM   #16
MTK
\m/

Re: Remember the Titans: Pregame Thread

I still have zero issues with bringing in Alex and giving him an extension. That's life in the NFL folks, a premium QB with one year left on his deal gets traded, that's always the best time to do an extension and for all we know Smith's camp was likely asking for that as part of agreeing to a trade. He essentially got 3 years $71M from us, is $23.6 per really that outrageous??

Advertisements
Old 12-19-2018, 10:30 AM   #17
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
truly a speculative comment, but how interesting would it be if the 6th playoff seed came down to us winning against Philly with our 4th qb in the afternoon, and KC/Minnesota losing to the Bears in week 17. Talk about pressure for KC... ( I know we would have to win first...)
It just might happen, got to beat the Titans first and that’s not an easy task. If we beat the Titans and the eagles win, would that be a Sunday night flex game? You know how well we do on national televised games.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:39 AM   #18
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
It just might happen, got to beat the Titans first and that’s not an easy task. If we beat the Titans and the eagles win, would that be a Sunday night flex game? You know how well we do on national televised games.
I'm hoping the Vikings game gets flexed - same rationale, you know how KC does in night games.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:47 AM   #19
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
So you think 5 quarters is enough of a sample? Don't get me wrong, I want Josh Johnson to succeed, but your pulling stuff out of nowhere to try to make a point. Also, Josh was more familiar with Jay's system coming in than Alex, since Josh played under Gruden's system before.

I don't like that the acquisition of Alex was all on Bruce Allen, as I don't trust his judgement.

But the team's record while Alex was playing, shows that he did enough to get the team to 6-3.
I'm not simply pulling stuff out of nowhere...we can disagree, but I'm not listing random, made up crap. Josh Johnson should have been more familiar than a 12 year vet coming off his best season with full camp, preseason, etc. Josh was on the couch, how long?

Josh's game review wasn't bad...but the QBR number (well respected) was surprising and good news. Alex didn't get better as the season went on...the weight on the contract will affect us. I actually think the team was peaking as Alex went down, team was flattening out. That flattening out was due a lot on the play of Alex.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:57 AM   #20
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I'm not simply pulling stuff out of nowhere...we can disagree, but I'm not listing random, made up crap. Josh Johnson should have been more familiar than a 12 year vet coming off his best season with full camp, preseason, etc. Josh was on the couch, how long?

Josh's game review wasn't bad...but the QBR number (well respected) was surprising and good news. Alex didn't get better as the season went on...the weight on the contract will affect us. I actually think the team was peaking as Alex went down, team was flattening out. That flattening out was due a lot on the play of Alex.
I disagree about AS not getting better - the game he went down in aside - AS was starting to hit receivers more in stride, and we were seeing incremental progress. Not the type we wanted, but enough to think that he and JG were getting on the same page. In his last game, the int for a td has to be put on Reed not being on the same page with AS in a corner route. That was the second time Alex threw an interception where he threw to a spot and JR pulled up because of coverage which left the qb hanging.

It was clear Reed and Colt were on a better page, but the other receivers were getting used to AS and I thought we were starting to see that.

Bottomline though the Skins won games with AS and likely we would continue to.

Even more bottomline is it's all a done deal and maybe JJ will give us downtrodden Skins fans something to cheer about the next few weeks.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:02 PM   #21
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:

We make too many excuses for our players.
Alex has been in the league over a decade in multiple systems, he should've been ready to go from day one. I don't know if the issue was lack of playing time, easy practices, or his bitch ass WRs but he needed to know he wasn't ready and should've taken a leadership role and made sure he was ready.

Dirty Sanchez and Silky Johnson are the only guys that shouldn't shoulder any blame. Sanchez did not get one snap with the first team when he was brought in then had to step in for McCoy. I don't know WTF Gruden is doing in his practices but it's not tackle football.

Johnson did an outstanding job last week all things considered.
I doubt the Titans are going to let him execute the same game plan.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:06 PM   #22
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
We make too many excuses for our players.
Alex has been in the league over a decade in multiple systems, he should've been ready to go from day one. I don't know if the issue was lack of playing time, easy practices, or his bitch ass WRs but he needed to know he wasn't ready and should've taken a leadership role and made sure he was ready.

Dirty Sanchez and Silky Johnson are the only guys that shouldn't shoulder any blame. Sanchez did not get one snap with the first team when he was brought in then had to step in for McCoy. I don't know WTF Gruden is doing in his practices but it's not tackle football.

Johnson did an outstanding job last week all things considered.
I doubt the Titans are going to let him execute the same game plan.
Silky Johnson's mink made out 100% rat ass

He Gets Us
Old 12-19-2018, 12:09 PM   #23
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico23231 View Post
silky johnson's mink made out 100% rat ass
lol!
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:03 PM   #24
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
A better Alex Smith according to QBR numbers.
No. You don't understand QBR. You're banned from trying to interpret it.

QBR's formula is clutch-weighted. Meaning, when the game situation is tie game, or down by one score late, then your play in that situation matters a great deal.

And Johnson played well in the drive to tie it and then following the Moreau pick to win it. This is fine and he deserves some credit from coming through there. But you still have to bring game context into it - the Jaguars could barely complete a forward pass. That offense had no business playing in the NFL, that was obvious.

So then why, if Johnson is so good, did it take him 4 quarters to get the lead on such a shitty offense?

Yeah the Jags defense is decent, but if Josh Johnson really is 70 QBR level good, then he should have gotten up on them much sooner than the 4th quarter.

Reality is his 70 QBR is that high because Crowder bailed him out on the self tip, and Moreau's tip drill pick on Kessler's duck gave him another chance he otherwise wouldn't have gotten.

These are all the reasons a 70 QBR is not sustainable for JJ. He won't put up a QBR that good again. The opportunity for him to come through in the clutch was gift-wrapped by the Jaguars and their shitty offense. That's what JJ needed - his backup backup backup level play was bailed out by Cody Kessler.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:12 PM   #25
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

QBR is misleading at times, that's why player grades are more efficient.. When you grade every snap and pass J.J has Sunday he grades out at a 43.1 which is well below our average at Pff. Now his run grade of 76.6 was above average. Most of his passes were safe throws , he actually had no turnover worthy throws Sunday.

To put this into perspective Alex had an average passing grade of 69.1 (just below AVG)

Basically Josh is not the next Kurt Warner by any means and no he isn't better than Alex at all but if he limits Turnovers and keeps the drives moving, he can win games.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:16 PM   #26
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
QBR is misleading at times, that's why player grades are more efficient.. When you grade every snap and pass J.J has Sunday he grades out at a 43.1 which is well below our average at Pff. Now his run grade of 76.6 was above average. Most of his passes were safe throws , he actually had no turnover worthy throws Sunday.

To put this into perspective Alex had an average passing grade of 69.1 (just below AVG)

Basically Josh is not the next Kurt Warner by any means and no he isn't better than Alex at all but if he limits Turnovers and keeps the drives moving, he can win games.
This guy gets it.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:25 PM   #27
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
No. You don't understand QBR. You're banned from trying to interpret it.

QBR's formula is clutch-weighted. Meaning, when the game situation is tie game, or down by one score late, then your play in that situation matters a great deal.

And Johnson played well in the drive to tie it and then following the Moreau pick to win it. This is fine and he deserves some credit from coming through there. But you still have to bring game context into it - the Jaguars could barely complete a forward pass. That offense had no business playing in the NFL, that was obvious.

So then why, if Johnson is so good, did it take him 4 quarters to get the lead on such a shitty offense?

Yeah the Jags defense is decent, but if Josh Johnson really is 70 QBR level good, then he should have gotten up on them much sooner than the 4th quarter.

Reality is his 70 QBR is that high because Crowder bailed him out on the self tip, and Moreau's tip drill pick on Kessler's duck gave him another chance he otherwise wouldn't have gotten.

These are all the reasons a 70 QBR is not sustainable for JJ. He won't put up a QBR that good again. The opportunity for him to come through in the clutch was gift-wrapped by the Jaguars and their shitty offense. That's what JJ needed - his backup backup backup level play was bailed out by Cody Kessler.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...oved-qb-rating

The intent of Total QBR is to isolate each NFL quarterback's contribution to his team's fortunes as accurately as possible with the data available. It measures nearly every aspect of quarterback play, from passing to designed runs to scrambles to turnovers to penalties. QBR also strives to separate the performance of the individual quarterback from the rest of his team, all in an effort to rate the overall efficiency of each quarterback in the league

But now, QBR accounts for opposing defenses: Quarterbacks who face tougher defenses will have their ratings adjusted upward in proportion to the difficulty of their opposition, and those who face weaker defenses will have their ratings adjusted downward. This is one more step toward gaining a true measure of overall quarterback performance -- and a big step.

Next, we compute an adjustment to each quarterback's performance based on those estimates of how tough each defense is. We also factor in home-field advantage. It's no surprise that quarterbacks playing at home tend to have an easier time than those playing on the road. These adjustments are made underneath the hood of QBR -- on each quarterback's share of his team's expected points added (EPA) per play, which factors in nearly all aspects of quarterback play, including passes, scrambles, designed runs, sacks, turnovers and even some penalties. Those EPA rates are also adjusted to correct for performance in "garbage time," when the game's outcome has effectively been decided.

It sounds like your mad about Johnson having the 3rd best QBR score for the season for the skins. I don't get it but that's fine. Rationalize it anyway you want.

Alex Smith wasn't good this year, at all. He never lived up to the trade or the coming contract. I tend to think QBR is a better to look at the over all performance for the QB. Above is what they are score...that's really all I said. take it or leave it

He Gets Us
Old 12-19-2018, 02:34 PM   #28
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Silky Johnson's mink made out 100% rat ass

LOL!!!!
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:54 PM   #29
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:

The intent of Total QBR is to isolate each NFL quarterback's contribution to his team's fortunes as accurately as possible with the data available. It measures nearly every aspect of quarterback play, from passing to designed runs to scrambles to turnovers to penalties. QBR also strives to separate the performance of the individual quarterback from the rest of his team, all in an effort to rate the overall efficiency of each quarterback in the league

But now, QBR accounts for opposing defenses: Quarterbacks who face tougher defenses will have their ratings adjusted upward in proportion to the difficulty of their opposition, and those who face weaker defenses will have their ratings adjusted downward. This is one more step toward gaining a true measure of overall quarterback performance -- and a big step.

Next, we compute an adjustment to each quarterback's performance based on those estimates of how tough each defense is. We also factor in home-field advantage. It's no surprise that quarterbacks playing at home tend to have an easier time than those playing on the road. These adjustments are made underneath the hood of QBR -- on each quarterback's share of his team's expected points added (EPA) per play, which factors in nearly all aspects of quarterback play, including passes, scrambles, designed runs, sacks, turnovers and even some penalties. Those EPA rates are also adjusted to correct for performance in "garbage time," when the game's outcome has effectively been decided.

It sounds like your mad about Johnson having the 3rd best QBR score for the season for the skins. I don't get it but that's fine. Rationalize it anyway you want.

Alex Smith wasn't good this year, at all. He never lived up to the trade or the coming contract. I tend to think QBR is a better to look at the over all performance for the QB. Above is what they are score...that's really all I said. take it or leave it

He took a step back this yr, in fact he played about as good as Dak has all year so it was definitely a disappointment but as we have seen with all 4 QB's now, the targets on this offense are not very good. There is no true #1 WR and the TE play has been poor most of the year.. VDavis dropped another easy catch Sunday down the sideline.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:00 PM   #30
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:

I don't think you understand a lick of ESPN's text there.