Betts to be the 3rd Down Back?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-21-2009, 04:07 PM   #16
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Betts to be the 3rd Down Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Personally, I would rather Betts be in on 2nd, gives a nice versatility for the play action, but won't face all out blitzers. Portis is an awesome pass blocker, Betts - just ok. and whatever we do we need to make sure we don't burn out CP against STL, KC and TB!
I was thinking the exact same thing. I would rather have Betts in on 2nd down. 3rd down is such a critical down (not that 2nd isn't important) and I want my best back out there. And that especially means I want a good blocking back. If it's 3rd and 5 and it's a passing play to Cooley to get that first down, I'd much, much rather have Portis be that extra blocker in the backfield to give Campbell (or Chase) an extra few seconds to complete that pass than Betts

Advertisements
Old 08-21-2009, 04:10 PM   #17
MTK
\m/

CP is the better blocker but he also takes a lot of punishment in doing so. I'd rather see him dishing out the punishment more on runs vs. picking up the blitz on 3rd down. Betts is probably the better receiver out of the backfield too.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:13 PM   #18
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
CP is the better blocker but he also takes a lot of punishment in doing so. I'd rather see him dishing out the punishment more on runs vs. picking up the blitz on 3rd down. Betts is probably the better receiver out of the backfield too.
i agree with that. I'm just trying to state a fact that I wish we would have addressed the need that we have at back up RB. If Portis goes down we are down to Betts and Rock... not going to win many games with that back field. Or retreads like Shaun alexander.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:17 PM   #19
MTK
\m/

I've never understood why some are so down on Betts, especially after he filled in with a stellar season in 2006. Personally I think he can get the job done if needed as a starter.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #20
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Well I'm a down on Betts because of his fumbling issues he has had in the past. I know he played fairly well in 06 but we were also a 6-10 football team. I guess I have don't have confidence in him being a winner. Those 2 reasons are my problem with him.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:27 PM   #21
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

I am a Redskins fan. I will root, hope, and scream for whoever is in our backfield.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:28 PM   #22
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I think Betts is fine. I always find it kind of interesting that he was drafted just a couple of picks after Portis yet you'd think one was the 1st round stud and the other was the 7th round div 2 guy who toiled on the practice squad for a couple of years before earning his shot.

But I don't think Betts is a potential game changer the way Portis is, and I think we-sooner than later-need to look at finding our next starting running back
Old 08-21-2009, 05:41 PM   #23
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Portis and Betts fumble the ball at the worst times. Everyone fumbles. I say let my homeboy Mike Sellers run the ball strait up the middle behind that new FB we just drafted.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:52 PM   #24
The Goat
Pro Bowl

What irks me about this decision is that Betts hasn't proven to be terribly effective w/ sporadic carries. Say he comes out cold at first or whatever, but getting the call here and there doesn't seem to be the best use of our #2 RB. I think we'd be much wiser to give hem a few series in a row, let him get into the rhythm backs often talk about. Hell give him the entire 2nd quarter even, or give him a ton of work when we're up a couple TDs on the opponent (not intended as a joke ya'll).

I'm happy CP gets fewer carries this season...
Old 08-21-2009, 08:54 PM   #25
MTK
\m/

Is there ever a good time to fumble? I hate the statement that someone fumbles at the worst time. Every fumble happens at the worst time!
Old 08-21-2009, 11:12 PM   #26
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Is there ever a good time to fumble? I hate the statement that someone fumbles at the worst time. Every fumble happens at the worst time!
In practice and in the preseason? LOL.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:43 AM   #27
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmonkforhallofamein07 View Post
Matty I agree with you in the fact that Portis doesnt need to play all the time. I just really would have liked the redskins to address the back up rb position. I have never been a big betts fan. I have a question for anybody who would like to answer. Would you take Laron Landry or Adrian Peterson? Not trying to cause a stir just an observation and i am sure that it has been discussed before. Or how about any of the 2nd round picks last year for Steve Slaton?

So Matty I agree that we need to rest CP at times but I just wish the team would have addressed my issue with betts .

If teams had known how good those players were, they definitely would have taken them sooner. You really cannot blame the FO for passing on them when so many other teams did the same thing.

I don't think you can close the book on Laron vs Peterson yet. Also, he does have a much better line than ours.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:00 AM   #28
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Ok, here's my take. Portis is obviously the #1. Betts is servicable as a #2 back filling in as a relief RB to spell said Portis. Yes he did fill in nicely in 06 but that was his only good yr after how many yrs and some could argue he has not been given the chance to show a second time. I've heard arguements about his fumbling issues (which even I have mentioned) and have had it pointed out that he has only fumbled like two or three time total. My major issue is he is a similar style RB as Portis with out the break away speed. He's slower. Why keep two of the same style of RB's on the team when most teams have a between the tackles type of runner (Portis) and an edge runner (Alridge/Dorsey).

I have argued for Mason only cause if we are going to keep the same style of runner on the team as Portis then why not get younger while doing it and have Portis help develop/mold him for our future for when ever Portis decides to step down.

What I would like to see.....Portis (obviously), Betts or Mason, cut Rock for Alridge or Dorsey. If we are going to keep 3 active RB's it would be nice to have one be an edge runner. Rock sucks as a RB.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:33 AM   #29
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

We need Betts to step up and make Zorn put him in, thats the problem with our RB's none of them have done anything to take away playing time from CP, that's why i hope one of these young guys can come in and do something. A player has to earn a spot on the field and so far we have running backs that earn a spot on the bench. CP needs rest but the sub's have to unseat him.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:38 PM   #30
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCskinfan82 View Post
We need Betts to step up and make Zorn put him in, thats the problem with our RB's none of them have done anything to take away playing time from CP, that's why i hope one of these young guys can come in and do something. A player has to earn a spot on the field and so far we have running backs that earn a spot on the bench. CP needs rest but the sub's have to unseat him.
They don't have to be better then CP just good enough to let him get his wind. They just have to be able to secure the ball ie; Davis (TE) and Betts. As in life you can do 100 good things but one bad move and everyone remembers it. I'm sure the coach's in the past have been reluctant to put Betts in (sorta) cause he would look good and run fine until an inopportune time and fumble. Then take him out of the game. His fumble would be the last impression he would leave cause they wouldn't use him again for a while. \

but....Rock needs to go. I don't care how much of a leader he is. They have a whole team full of leaders, JC, Portis, Samuals, Moss, ARE, Smoot, Hall, Haynesworth, DT Daniels, Fletcher and a few more I'm sure I'm missing. Rock sucks as a RB running around in the back field like a chicken with it's head cut off, one step forward and two steps back. All his yards usually appear on one run. After like 10 horrible runs he breaks one for like 40 yrds. Basically all he is, is a KR. Everyone is talking about other players on the team who they feel should be cut because they are one dimensional....hello...so is Rock.

I guess I have to pray someone else steps up and shows they can PR/KR as good or close to as good or Rock will be here. I can only hope Alridge or Dorsey step up their game.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote