Battle of the NFC East: Running Backs

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-26-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
PennSkinsFan
Impact Rookie

Battle of the NFC East: Running Backs

http://dcprosportsreport.com/2009/08/battle-of-the-nfc-east-running-backs.html

Quote:
Today, DC Pro Sports Report continues a series looking at how the Washington Redskins and their NFC East rivals stack up against each other position by position. We will review each position from best to worst in the division and pick the best player at that position in the NFC East. Remember, though I am a Redskins fan and DC Pro Sports Report makes no bones about its rooting preferences, we analyze all sports questions at arms-length, so expect no home team boosterism here.

First, we covered NFC East quarterbacks. Today, we cover running backs.

PennSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-26-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
dmvskinzfan08
Impact Rookie

Re: Battle of the NFC East: Running Backs

I dont even have to look at this list. I will say Portis is one of the top backs in the whole NFC and our backup RBs (08) we have are some of the worst in the NFC
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company
dmvskinzfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:40 PM   #3
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

I thought that article was a pretty fair assessment. Maybe I'm too much of a homer, though.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
DFI
Special Teams

I think they got barber and jacobs backwards other than that I think they got it right
'Russ Grimm would swallow his dip by halftime and throw up on somebody's shoes. Jeff Bostic and Mark May were fighting about who'd missed an assignment. And man did Riggo stink from his hangover. But we got it done.' Don Warren
DFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
Jay Schroeder
Special Teams

Jacobs before Barber, its tough to think of Westbrook in last place though cause dude is a beast
Jay Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:30 PM   #6
Spence
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Schroeder View Post
Jacobs before Barber, its tough to think of Westbrook in last place though cause dude is a beast
Westbrook isn't really in last place, the Eagles are. As a team, the Eagles have the weakest RB position compared to their division rivals. Some of that is the fact that the Eagles have no proven backups and the other teams do. Also, the Skins and Giants have good fullbacks.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:40 PM   #7
dmvskinzfan08
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Schroeder View Post
Okay..Starters and backup
Was Portis/Betts
Dal Barber/Jones
Phi Westbrook/McCoy
NY Jacobs/Bradshaw

Portis best back is the NFC east if not the NFC.

As far as backups. I think Betts is far behind and Rock is not that special

Brad is probably a little better than Betts in my opinion as far as running ability.

McCoy from what I have seen so far is a very talented back.

Jones could easily be the starter for Dallas.

I think that we need to look at it as if the starter got hurt. How strong would the backups be as a whole. If that is the case. We rank high because of Portis. But our other RBs leave something to be desired.

*note - Do most people know that Rock and Cartwright are 29 about to be 30 and people use to say CP is getting old. He is only 27. Sorry but we need some youth in the back field. We are the only NFC East team that doesn't....
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company
dmvskinzfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
44Deezel
The Starter

Pretty fair assessment. I knock Portis, because he can't bust long runs anymore and because he's not a factor in the passing game, BUT he's definitely the best RB in the NFC East. He runs hard, punishes DBs, plays hurt, secures the ball and blocks like no other RB in the league. What I don't like is what we pay for him, but whateva.

I just hope we platoon our backs this year, so Portis is fresh at the end of the season and defenses have more weapons to be concerned with. Betts gets a raw deal, IMO. He's not a home run hitter and doesn't factor in the passing game either, but the dude ran for over 1000 yards just a few seasons ago.

I always thought Rock could have been an effective third down back, but what do I know. I would think that anyone who can return kick-offs for TDs can do some damage if given the ball in space. Maybe 4-5 well designed pass plays to Rock would pay dividends in the form of long runs to the house! Holler if you hear me!
Old 08-27-2009, 10:11 PM   #9
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

The problem with this poll is that the teams in the NFC East ask their backs to play very different games.

To those who say that Portis is the best back in the NFC East hands down - - a position with which I agree - - ask yourself to evaluate honestly how he would perform in the Eagles' system where he was spread out at WR about 5-10 plays per game. Portis' stats and his overall effectiveness would go down in that regimen.

Oh, by the way, Brian Westbrook would not be nearly the "beast" some think he is in the Redskins' offense...

I could see Marion Barber and/or Brandon Jacobs thriving in the Skins' system to the same extent that Portis does.

I could see Bradshaw thriving with the Eagles but not doing nearly as well with the Skins.

I think I'll pass on this poll. It is too complicated for me...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:54 PM   #10
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmvskinzfan08 View Post
Okay..Starters and backup
Was Portis/Betts
Dal Barber/Jones
Phi Westbrook/McCoy
NY Jacobs/Bradshaw

Portis best back is the NFC east if not the NFC.

As far as backups. I think Betts is far behind and Rock is not that special

Brad is probably a little better than Betts in my opinion as far as running ability.

McCoy from what I have seen so far is a very talented back.

Jones could easily be the starter for Dallas.

I think that we need to look at it as if the starter got hurt. How strong would the backups be as a whole. If that is the case. We rank high because of Portis. But our other RBs leave something to be desired.

*note - Do most people know that Rock and Cartwright are 29 about to be 30 and people use to say CP is getting old. He is only 27. Sorry but we need some youth in the back field. We are the only NFC East teamthat doesn't....
Backs I have in front of Portis in the NFC right now:

Adrian Peterson
Brian Westbrook
Steven Jackson
Frank Gore
maybe Matt Forte

Portis is very solid, don't get me wrong. He's a phenomenal blocker and a hard runner, but he's no longer a home run threat. Peterson is the best back in football. Westbrook, Forte, and Jackson are all better pass catchers than Portis, and Jackson and Westbrook are more dangerous in the open field. Frank Gore is so damn talented, if he was on a team with any type of passing game I think he could be a top 5 back for sure. You could make an argument for Michael Turner as well.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:04 AM   #11
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
The problem with this poll is that the teams in the NFC East ask their backs to play very different games.

To those who say that Portis is the best back in the NFC East hands down - - a position with which I agree - - ask yourself to evaluate honestly how he would perform in the Eagles' system where he was spread out at WR about 5-10 plays per game. Portis' stats and his overall effectiveness would go down in that regimen.

Oh, by the way, Brian Westbrook would not be nearly the "beast" some think he is in the Redskins' offense...

I could see Marion Barber and/or Brandon Jacobs thriving in the Skins' system to the same extent that Portis does.

I could see Bradshaw thriving with the Eagles but not doing nearly as well with the Skins.

I think I'll pass on this poll. It is too complicated for me...
I agree 100% with this post.

I'll look at it this way- IMO the best RB in the division as far as performing the way their respective team needs given the system, I say Brian Westbrook. He's the best WCO RB in football.

After that I'd say Portis, then Jacobs, then Barber.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:15 AM   #12
Meks
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
Pretty fair assessment. I knock Portis, because he can't bust long runs anymore and because he's not a factor in the passing game, BUT he's definitely the best RB in the NFC East. !

boy does tht sound backwords.
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:54 AM   #13
Spence
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFI View Post
I think they got barber and jacobs backwards other than that I think they got it right
I wrote that Jacobs is better than Barber. I rated Dallas higher than New York at the RB position because of the depth in Dallas, which includes Felix Jones and Tashard Choice, both of whom were terrific last year. Barber took a step back last season.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:40 PM   #14
Jay Schroeder
Special Teams

[QUOTE=sportscurmudgeon;580687]

IQUOTE]

your not giving him enough credit if your implying he's not a great rushing/receiving back who simply scores touchdowns in large amounts...and who cares, no one is speculating what his production would be like in the Redskins offense.
Jay Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote