Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #46
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Vote for DeAngelo Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinster View Post
Man, I gotta learn to never use metaphors on this site. I thought the caution of the over-exaggeration I used would be read, but I guess not. Of course I don't think Deangelo is like osama. It was an over-exaggerated metaphor to show my line of thinking a little more clearly of why I don't like to acknowledge that Deangelo will win an award for being the best at something. Try not to take it out of context. I was just trying to clarify my viewpoint, but obviously did a poor job of it.
I know you qualified it by saying it was an exaggeration. But as NLC pointed out, even as an exaggeration it was ridiculous.

It is interesting that you, and others, seem to have such disdain for DeAngelo Hall that you won't vote for him to win some silly TV award because it somehow would justify his struggles outside of that game.

I can't quite understand that. It's as if you think if he wins he's going to walk into Allen's office with his trophy, slam it on the desk, and say "****in' pay me bitch! I got the mother****in' ESPY!"

Advertisements
Old 06-27-2011, 11:29 AM   #47
skinster
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC1054 View Post
...I would not compare DeAngelo Hall to Osama Bin Laden.

One guy occasionally runs his mouth (less so this past season), one killed thousands of people and in essense changed an entire culture by being a hateful, miserable excuse for a human being.

One does not equal the other, even when you exaggerate. Like, at all.

And if you're not going to be happy until the team can win a Super Bowl, then get to be a miserable bum for a WHILE or pick another football team to root for.

Aside from Seattle, every team in the playoffs had a legitimate shot of being a Super Bowl caliber team. Sometimes the ball bounces your way, sometimes they don't but they all had a shot. No way people were thinking Green Bay was going to the Super Bowl when they were struggling to beat the Lions and losing to teams like the Redskins and Dolphins, especially not with all the injuries they have.

Being competitive should mean not being a doormat. It should mean that teams can't look at their schedule and say "yeah, we can probably beat that team". With so much parity in the NFL, any competitive football team has a legit shot of taking it all the way.

You're going to be in for a long wait if you're thinking the team will only be competitive when you deem them capable of winning a Super Bowl. Getting the playoffs is the first stop, and from there it's all in the universes hands.
I think I addressed the osama thing in my last post.

I will not be satisfied with our team untill we have the potential to win the superbowl. I don't think that's unreasonable. That is the goal of every season, that is why the game is played, so if it is unattainable why should I be satisfied?

For the record I thought Green Bay WAS GOING TO with the superbowl the moment the got into the playoffs. So don't say nobody expected it. I think that some teams that had potential to win the superbowl didn't even make the playoffs (NYG and SD come to mind). I don't believe every team that makes it can do it. I don't think KC could, and I don't think Sea could. There are two-three more teams I don't think could that were in it that I don't want to mention because I don't want to start a war over semantics. There are roughly about 10 teams any given year that have potential to win it.

The next obvious question that comes to mind is why do I even watch the redskins if I am not satisfied with them? Well unfortunately for me the answer is I really enjoy watching the process of getting to that level. Improvement, and steps in the right direction of getting to be a contender is exciting and interesting to me. I say unfortunately because it doesn't seem as if we have been taking those steps within the last many years. This last year's draft was a step in the right direction, and although I disagree with many of the moves that were made, I appreciate that progress is still being made IMO. We aren't trading the future away to slightly and temporarily improve our team anymore, so I am excited about that and I am excited to see where the redskins will be 3 years from now. I don't think that we will reach the point I want to be at 3 years from now, but I feel like we will be close enough that I can smell it, and the closer we get, the more excited I will get.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:36 AM   #48
skinster
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I know you qualified it by saying it was an exaggeration. But as NLC pointed out, even as an exaggeration it was ridiculous.

It is interesting that you, and others, seem to have such disdain for DeAngelo Hall that you won't vote for him to win some silly TV award because it somehow would justify his struggles outside of that game.

I can't quite understand that. It's as if you think if he wins he's going to walk into Allen's office with his trophy, slam it on the desk, and say "****in' pay me bitch! I got the mother****in' ESPY!"
I would like to stop talking about the osama thing. I was just trying to get my message across more clearly but obviously it was a poor metaphor and I made it less clear. Still I hope the message I was trying to send was recieved. I think that deangelo is a "me" guy, a diva. His comments that he should always be one on one with the top WR because he is the best disgust me. I'm not worried about him wanting more money, I'm worried that winning this award will contribute to him reinforcing his undeserved ego and becoming a locker room cancer. Plus I don't want people I dont like to win awards....but let me clarify by saying that is my SECONDARY concern.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:48 AM   #49
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Um..ok. If he bothers you that much, I guess it's your prerogative. Personally, I don't think a player who has actively won (and helped us win) games by being aggressive and making plays, practices hard every time out, has been a mentor to the young DBs, demands more responsibility, and is actively involved in the community is such a strong detriment to the franchise. But that's just me.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:21 PM   #50
NLC1054
Special Teams

And don't you WANT that from a guy? I mean, didn't Haslett pretty much say he understood why D-Hall was saying it? And he said that right after we lost a game we had no business losing and somehow Andre Johnson ended up matched up on Reed Doughty. I like Reed, I think he's probably a better safety than anyone wants to give him credit for, but Doughty on Johnson...that match-up shoulda never happened.

So he says something out of being frustrated, in a case where he was probably right (Johnson should've been matched up again 'Los or D-Hall regardless), and he's got an ego? He was pissed. I like that he cares. I like that he says that he should've been put on Andre Johnson, the best wide receiver in the league. I like that losing pissed him off and made him angry.

You think that if that happens to Nnamdi Asomugha he's going to be all sunshine and rainbows? No. Now, would Nnamdi voice his frustration? But I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

D-Hall's mellowed out and been nothing but a team player since he got here. His teammates voted him a team captain. He's stepped up and taken that leadership role seriously and has bought into what Mike Shanahan is tring to do here. The guy played a lot of the season hurt last year and didn't kvetch about it or complain.

That's the weird thing about Redskins fans; the grudges we carry. I know we've been burned by a lot of guys, but (and maybe it's because I'm a new-ish fan) I think sometimes, we take it overboard with some of the more flamboyant guys. You're going to get guys like D-Hall who are little more boisterous than others, it's just how the game works.

I'd rather have a guy gripe about not being put on the number one receiver in the league than a guy who just shrugs and says "we'll get them next time".
Old 06-27-2011, 12:26 PM   #51
skinster
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Um..ok. If he bothers you that much, I guess it's your prerogative. Personally, I don't think a player who has actively won (and helped us win) games by being aggressive and making plays, practices hard every time out, has been a mentor to the young DBs, demands more responsibility, and is actively involved in the community is such a strong detriment to the franchise. But that's just me.
Valid points. He has done alot of good. He single-handedly won us two games, and is our best playmaker. He practices hard, and has a great work ethic. I do not know how much/good of a mentor he has been to our young dbs considering we had the second worst passing defense and I haven't seen any young dbs step up and have a significant role in the games. I think that although he does alot of good, he does alot of harm also. I see him get burned wayyyy more often then I see him make good plays. Demanding more responsibility is ok, but not publicly. He is saying to his teammates "I'm better than you, you can't do it, I need to pick up your slack." That just doesn't create a team locker room atmosphere. I would prefer him to just do what's assigned of him and if he wants more responsibility talk it over with the coaches in private. He thinks he is better than he is and seems to think about himself more than the team. I do not like that, I think it is a cancerous attitude that I do not want in my teams locker room. He is a leader of our defense, but I don't like that. I do not think he is a player that should be leading. He doesn't even know his own place or judge his own abilities well considering how much he gets burned. Players that yap about them being the best aren't who I want leading my team.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:40 PM   #52
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinster View Post
Players that yap about them being the best aren't who I want leading my team.
You'll be happy to know we'll never have Tom Brady, Andre Johnson or Chris Johnson will never play for us then. What horrible players to have...
Old 06-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #53
NLC1054
Special Teams

A wise man once said "I want WINNERS! I want people that want to WIN!"

D-Hall's a winner. He wants to win. The only reason he jumps those routes and tries to make plays is because he wants to win. He's a lot more shutdown-ish when the team actually has a lead. Unfortunately that barely ever happened.

If you don't have the confidence in yourself to say you're the best then I don't want you on my football team.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:01 PM   #54
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Warpath Reaction: Hell no! He's a fraud. Why inflate his ego for a random occurrence. And while we're on the subject...the Pro Bowl is for losers and he didn't deserve the MVP there either.

Pathetic

Warpath Exaggeration: Making up stuff that people didn't say to present your overreaction by Warpath members.

1) I never claimed the guy is a fraud.
2) I never claimed the Pro-Bowl is for losers.
3) I never claimed he didn't deserve the Pro-Bowl MVP.

If you are going to reference something I said, at least be accurate. I merely said if you are going off a pro-bowl performance to make a claim that a person is good, then it's laughable at best. (and it is)
Old 06-27-2011, 01:17 PM   #55
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
You obviously seem to be the type of person that always wants to be right, hence the many youtube videos and long posts proving that one of the players we are suppose to root for is not a good player in your opinion, and blah, blah, blah. So good luck with that, while some of us will keep rooting for our team and hope for the best.
Ruhskins, it has nothing to do with being "right", but EVERYTHING to do with being accurate within a debate or discussion (hence my evidence to back up my statements). I've proven several times over that I admit when I am wrong and correct the statement in question. So far, nobody has proven my evidence about D. Hall to be incorrect. Nobody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I love how you picked the last play of the Pro-Bowl that was allready won to prove your point.
The pro-bowl is like most All-Star games in pro sports. It's a farce and meant to entertain the fans. If you all want to roll that way, the MVP of the league should be determined by the best performance in the "All-Star" game. After all, he would have outplayed the best of the best. Sounds ludicrous doesn't it? I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
True fan!

4 INTs and a TD isn't worth even a syllable of praise? Seriously, I do not understand some of you pessimist "fans".

You all complain that the Skins get nothing but bad attention in the media...and now there's a chance to get something positive for our guys and you decline?

1) Never said he didn't deserve praise for his performance in that game.
2) Never complained about the bad press we get. We've deserved it looking back the past 10 years.
3) I made that comment before knowing what it was about. Hence Smoot's clarifying what it was about after my post. I just saw the "Vote for D. Hall" and made my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
He's more of a cafeteria fan, just pick and choose what you like. And bash the hell out of the rest.
So it's ok if you guys bash our OL (especially Rabach), yet D. Hall gets a free pass because HE HAD A GREAT GAME GUYS!!! Please, the hypocrisy in you guys is laughable at best. You speak out of both sides of your mouth. I imagine all I have to do is find the nearest Albert Haynesworth thread to find many of the guys bashing the man. Oh, it's different when it's something you don't agree with. I gotcha.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #56
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I just brought up the MVP of the Probowl as another accolade for a pretty decent season. Not saying that itself makes him elite at CB.

But from what the haters are saying, doesnt it makes sense if he is so horrible he'd be getting his ass beat by the best in the game every damn play in the prowbowl? And it was another instance of where I got to say to my Skins hater friends, "D Hall Redskins showing up"...nothing wrong with some Skins pride.

Another thing bout that performence was the guy was out there giving 100%, I like that

He Gets Us
Old 06-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #57
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Warpath Exaggeration: Making up stuff that people didn't say to present your overreaction by Warpath members.

1) I never claimed the guy is a fraud.
2) I never claimed the Pro-Bowl is for losers.
3) I never claimed he didn't deserve the Pro-Bowl MVP.

If you are going to reference something I said, at least be accurate. I merely said if you are going off a pro-bowl performance to make a claim that a person is good, then it's laughable at best. (and it is)
You should read my sig. It seems apropro at the moment. I wasn't referring specifically to you. I was referring to the collective reaction to Hall in a thread that really was just about an inconsequential category on a tv awards show related to one game he played.

This thread is a total fail
Old 06-27-2011, 01:44 PM   #58
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
So it's ok if you guys bash our OL (especially Rabach), yet D. Hall gets a free pass because HE HAD A GREAT GAME GUYS!!! Please, the hypocrisy in you guys is laughable at best. You speak out of both sides of your mouth. I imagine all I have to do is find the nearest Albert Haynesworth thread to find many of the guys bashing the man. Oh, it's different when it's something you don't agree with. I gotcha.
I think you are entitled to you opinion, but once again, this was not a "D. Hall is the best/worst CB ever" thread. Yet, once again you had to be the turd in the punch bowl and remind us how much you hate the guy and blah blah blah.

Some of the things you say about D.Hall are correct, the guy is high risk/high reward. But you make it a point of sticking to the negative every single time you can, even when it is not a discussion (like this thread). And honestly, that gets old and to me it is a perception that either a.) you have a personal vendetta against the guy or b.) you want to be right.

I think it'd be naive for anyone here to say that everyone here is a homer, because we are not. And you are right, people have a player or two that they bash every once in a while. For example, in another thread you complimented the F.O. and you feel we are going to be just fine in a few years, etc., etc. Me? Well I have my criticisms of the front office, and I'd like to see them make better moves. But in the end, I'm not going to write 3000 words with three youtube clips every single time bashing the hell out of the F.O. anytime someone makes a remote positive comment.

In the end, we are all Redskins fans and we should be supporting our team and our players period.

Quote:
Agreed.
R.I.P. #21
Old 06-27-2011, 02:19 PM   #59
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
You should read my sig. It seems apropro at the moment. I wasn't referring specifically to you. I was referring to the collective reaction to Hall in a thread that really was just about an inconsequential category on a tv awards show related to one game he played.

Though something about it is awesome. Its a good read

He Gets Us
Old 06-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #60
MTK
\m/

This thread has self-destructed.