Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Zorn calls team "Soft"

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-15-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Zorn calls team "Soft"

Zorn's 'soft' comment doesn't bode well | ProFootballTalk.com

I think Zorn is right in every way on this one, there is no reason any team should get DOMINATED in a preseason game! It's a joke to think our guys really tried Thurs.. I hope shit changes soon.

Advertisements
Old 08-15-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
jsarno
Franchise Player

Re: Zorn calls team "Soft"

Well, I'm sure he's trying to light a fire under them...let's see what happens.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
hagams
Impact Rookie

I'm sure Angry can relate as well as I can.

When your people don't respond to normal methods of leadership, you have to go a little more extreme. As Jsarno said, it will light a fire under them. Keep up the good work Zorny.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
53Fan
Franchise Player

He's right. The non-starters did play soft. Whether it was nerves or confusion I don't know, but he's correct in what he's saying. They need to get up to speed and I think he's just letting them know.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:06 PM   #5
joethiesmanfan
The Starter

Yeah!!! I am tired of them being soft.
joethiesmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:58 PM   #6
skinsfan69
Living Legend

I think Zorn's offense is soft.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:04 PM   #7
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

This really is not a big deal. I didn't even see in the article where Zorn called his guys soft. He just said the depth/bubble guys need to pick up their game cuz it ain't college. Sheesh.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:04 PM   #8
DBUCHANON101
The Starter

The whole team needs a kick in the @$$.. including ol Zorny imo
Old 08-15-2009, 03:22 PM   #9
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

It's pre-season and i put no real value in it other than finding depth in your team. I would agree with the soft comment though.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:15 PM   #10
The Trigga
Camp Scrub

Ravens definitely looked as though they played with more heart. But who knows, its the pre-season.
The Trigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:42 PM   #11
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I think Zorn's offense is soft.
This is the billion dollar question for the skins. Is it the players not showing up or the system itself?

I think the answer also includes the structure and the strategy of the front office.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:53 PM   #12
Westover
Camp Scrub

Well the Ravens just have a vitality we don't have right now. They're a home grown team with a lot of depth.

Maybe Coach Zorn's comments will light a fire. I know that one important part of what really lights a fire under a team is a sense that you are always in contention to have a starting job, and that if you play well enough, you'll be the starter. Your play is what determines whether and how much you play.

At the quarterback position, Jason Campbell, a good person with respectable talent, got installed as quarterback, but I think he should have lost his job permanently to Todd Collins after the way Collins played at the end of 2007. Collins earned the starting job. But the Redskins wanted to put Campbell back in as a starter at the beginning of 2008, and closed the competition from the onset.

Then, after the season, deciding they'd made a mistake, the upper management goes gangbusters to try to trade the house to get a new quarterback in the offseason, ignoring Todd Collins and a potential star in Colt Brennan on their own roster.

All of this sends a very de-motivating message to players in my view. You can play your heart out and do superb, like Todd Collins, but it doesn't effect whether you'll play. That's for upper management to make a decision about.

You can be a budding potential star like Colt Brennan, but you can find yourself on a team ready to make huge sacrifices to bring on some shiny player from afar at your position.

If you want players to play hard, one of the keys is setting up a situation where there is a direct connection between how hard and well they play and whether and how much they play.

Otherwise you get players who play soft. There already are fabulously well paid free agents at the position you're playing at. You know you don't have a chance. You know that the players you're playing with are there because they were brought here or installed here. You know that the effort isn't what is paramount.

The Baltimore Ravens are built on the draft; they aren't a handpicked team. They play with a great deal of energy and passion because they know that is what gives them the opportunity to start. Starters aren't installed - they are always challenged.

I hope Jim Zorn is able to remake this team. I like Jim Zorn and I think he has a ton to offer. But the thing is that the coach is another replaceable part. He could easily be dumped for yet another new coach (how many have we had here?). How many coaches have the Pittsburgh Steelers had since 1969? Three coaches.

OK, time to step down from my soapbox!

Last edited by Westover; 08-15-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Westover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:13 PM   #13
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Jay Cutler has a far better arm than Todd Collins and better ability to extend the play with his legs than Todd Collins. He also is a mechanically sound QB and thus can put the ball in the right place. That is how much Collins is outclassed by Cutler.
Not to mention Collins had the noteriety last year to be mentioned in media reports as stuggling badly in training camp while JC was showing competence. At least that didn't happen this year and he's shown comfort in the WCO.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:19 PM   #14
The Trigga
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
Jay Cutler has a far better arm than Todd Collins and better ability to extend the play with his legs than Todd Collins. He also is a mechanically sound QB and thus can put the ball in the right place. That is how much Collins is outclassed by Cutler.
Not to mention Collins had the noteriety last year to be mentioned in media reports as stuggling badly in training camp while JC was showing competence. At least that didn't happen this year and he's shown comfort in the WCO.
You mean Campbell?
The Trigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:36 PM   #15
redsk1
The Starter

Baltimore's training camp is a pretty intense camp w/ lots of hitting. The skins camp is a pretty relaxed one compared to many around the league. I don't know which is better, i think it depends on the team. Our's might be better as intense.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote