Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Report: Redskins to unveil drawings of new stadium, location tbd

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-13-2016, 10:45 PM   #61
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Re: Report: Redskins to unveil drawings of new stadium, location tbd

60 Minutes just ran the story on the architect and showed the model of the stadium. The man is innovative and original.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-14-2016, 09:14 AM   #62
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I don't know if the final design will include a moat either since space will most likely be at a premium, but if they are trying to be creative I can see why they included.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:06 PM   #63
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Idk, I think there's a lot of factors that go into having a retractable roof. Cost being the obvious one, plus the weather. Plus if you go retractable it could affect your field choice, and maybe they want to keep using grass instead of Fieldturf. So if you go grass do you do a retractable field too? If you want a retractable field then you need more land. Do we play enough games in bad weather to warrant a roof? I don't think so. As for this design, maybe they went open roof as a homage to RFK, I can see a passing resemblance in the design. Maybe that was one of DS's requirements, I remember it being mentioned when the topic first came up. Either way with or without a roof I will be happy. Besides, i think having a roof as a requirement for the SB is a little outdated since the Giants stadium went well.
Having a roof does not automatically mean no grass. The stadium the AZ Cardinals play in has a roof and natural grass. The field is on a "tray" and that "tray" is on tracks so it it brought outside for sunlight and to protect the field when other events are taking place.

I really love the cool modern look of this design but think they would be crazy to not put a roof on the stadium. Having a roof means the stadium can be used for football (no roof = no Super Bowl), NCAA Final 4, political conventions, mega concerts and lots of other events. The roof makes it something that can be used 365 days a year and that's gotta help justify and offset the extra cost.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:57 PM   #64
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Having a roof does not automatically mean no grass. The stadium the AZ Cardinals play in has a roof and natural grass. The field is on a "tray" and that "tray" is on tracks so it it brought outside for sunlight and to protect the field when other events are taking place.

I really love the cool modern look of this design but think they would be crazy to not put a roof on the stadium. Having a roof means the stadium can be used for football (no roof = no Super Bowl), NCAA Final 4, political conventions, mega concerts and lots of other events. The roof makes it something that can be used 365 days a year and that's gotta help justify and offset the extra cost.
I understand how the Cards system works, I just don't think having a retractable field is doable given the space limitations in the area. I also understand your point about the roof but I believe it's not a dealbreaker, concerts can still be played outdoors. Sure some events will be excluded but if they aren't concerned about it I won't be. Maybe the cost of a roof on a design like this is a big difference, and rather than start from scratch they just want to go ahead with it.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:19 PM   #65
MTK
\m/

Are there any retractable roof stadiums in the Northeast right now?

I don't see how not having one is a deal breaker. I'm sure all these things are being considered. That's what you pay developers for.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:17 PM   #66
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I understand how the Cards system works, I just don't think having a retractable field is doable given the space limitations in the area. I also understand your point about the roof but I believe it's not a dealbreaker, concerts can still be played outdoors. Sure some events will be excluded but if they aren't concerned about it I won't be. Maybe the cost of a roof on a design like this is a big difference, and rather than start from scratch they just want to go ahead with it.
Sure concerts and other indoor events can still be played outdoors, just not Nov-April. I agree that roof/no roof isn't a deal-breaker but with space at a premium its foolish to not build a year-round all weather venue.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:52 PM   #67
FRPLG
MVP

Gotta think this design is more in the vein of marketing. The moat is an..."eye catching" conversation piece I'm thinking. Pretty impractical, but the concept of integrating green space and creating more of a park atmosphere is a good direction. Id agree that a roofed stadium is probably more appealing to DS and the NFL financially.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:24 PM   #68
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

Can't wait to swim in the moat in mid-December!!

Actually the rumor I heard about the moat, is that it would connect to the river that surrounds the old RFK location. So it might be a subtle hint as to the location. Not sure which river is there, I'll leave it to the local geography experts.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:33 PM   #69
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Here's another hint at a possible location (National Harbor):

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:37 PM   #70
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Here's another hint at a possible location (National Harbor):

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

There isn't any property there for it.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:03 PM   #71
FRPLG
MVP

Other side of 95 between 295 and 95 there is plenty of land.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:06 PM   #72
That Guy
Living Legend

and national harbor would be the absolute worst traffic wise. you'd have to take the local with all the alexandria traffic to be able to take exit 2 there. without massive spending on road work, it'd be a nightmare (for any VA fans).

nearest metro stop is over 3m away (straight line, walking), though it does have bus service.

it's not that it can't be done, i just don't think PG county is going to pay for the infrastructure work to support a stadium like that properly, and everyone else is going to suffer for it.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:23 PM   #73
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Yeah I'm not sure National Harbor would be the best choice either, if there's a dealbreaker to the land deal it has to be Metro access. Or they have an innovative traffic design that allows a ton of fans to get in and out very quickly. Speaking of...

This article from Redskins.com goes into greater detail about some of the concepts, including an interesting angle on the moat (it's also a security feature in addition to a wavepool/skating rink). I will admit I'm really intrigued about the ideas they have, including having leveled parking garages with grass on top for tailgating. With all that said no Metro access is still a dealbreaker for me. They either need direct access to a station or setup a deal like they had in the early years of Fedex where there was a ton of shuttles to catch between the Metro and Fedex. The latter is the worst case scenario obviously.

Last edited by mooby; 03-17-2016 at 08:58 AM.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:26 PM   #74
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Anybody read anything about containing fan noise or aspects of the design that would enhance a home field advantage?

I haven't seen anything about it and am a little disappointed. The Seattle design is the real deal and it works.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:00 PM   #75
FRPLG
MVP

I agree the National Harbor area is a terrible spot but there is land. I think ideally DS is going t get this thing built on the RFK site. It really is the best option from just about any angle.