Drafting a QB?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-14-2017, 07:04 PM   #16
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Re: Drafting a QB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
What if they aren't able to get a long term deal done with Kirk? What happens at QB then?
Do not hold your breath about a long term deal. The only offer that we know of so far was described as being "Around 20 million" a season, that was based heavily on incentives. If Kirk met all the bench marks, he would earn "around" 20 million a year.

I think obviously in this situation that no deal is reached, Cousins leaves in 2018, and you could have a possible three way battle for the starting job between McCoy, Sudfeld, and whoever we draft at QB this year.

The redskins are drafting a QB, bank on it. They botched the Cousins thing too bad to recover from it. They are thinking now about plan B. Lots of egos involved here and nobody is going to apologize to Kirk or his agent and try to renegotiate. I think with that being known by all, i am baffled as to why they don't trade Cousins now and get the picks for their replacement option....

Advertisements
Old 04-14-2017, 07:38 PM   #17
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
Do not hold your breath about a long term deal.

They are thinking now about plan B. Lots of egos involved here and nobody is going to apologize to Kirk or his agent and try to renegotiate.
You are so on point here. They have been valuing and negotiating with him based on his talent level and ability. He is a really good QB that can win games. He isn't great.

The situation and the market dictate the team pay him "great QB" money because he is going to get it somewhere some time.

Even if he has a STINKER of a season he is going to get top money in San Fran or with 6 to 8 other teams next year.

They have screwed this up from the beginning .
Old 04-14-2017, 08:21 PM   #18
Irrefutable
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
Do not hold your breath about a long term deal. The only offer that we know of so far was described as being "Around 20 million" a season, that was based heavily on incentives. If Kirk met all the bench marks, he would earn "around" 20 million a year.

I think obviously in this situation that no deal is reached, Cousins leaves in 2018, and you could have a possible three way battle for the starting job between McCoy, Sudfeld, and whoever we draft at QB this year.

The redskins are drafting a QB, bank on it. They botched the Cousins thing too bad to recover from it. They are thinking now about plan B. Lots of egos involved here and nobody is going to apologize to Kirk or his agent and try to renegotiate. I think with that being known by all, i am baffled as to why they don't trade Cousins now and get the picks for their replacement option....
No one is going to trade for KC unless they can agree to a long term contract prior to the trade. And it is going to probably take over $25 million a year to keep him. I doubt many teams will give up over a $100 million dollars plus high picks for KC.... I hope I am wrong, a trade does make sense for the Redskins....it looks like the Redskins lack a plan
Irrefutable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:22 PM   #19
WillH
The Starter

I think a long term deal will get done, but there is no guarantee. So, if Peterman is there in the 4th, why not take him. Assuming of corse that they have taken care of defensive needs already.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:48 PM   #20
FlyerSkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I can't see taking a QB before round 5. Take one early on and they're pretty much setting up a season full of stupid drama.
I would just wait til next draft to get a QB. Like you said draft one now and the media will be all over it and it will make for a rather messy situation. If Kirk has any real inkling of staying here, that kind of drama will be rather bad. The qb crop this draft isn't so hot. I am glad there is no real hype being generated like with RG III, Manziel, Young, etc. I think some of those guys will pan out, but won't be the next Peyton or Tom.
FlyerSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:49 PM   #21
FlyerSkin

This draft is very deep in the positions we need on D to become contenders, we need to focus on that.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:52 AM   #22
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSkin View Post
This draft is very deep in the positions we need on D to become contenders, we need to focus on that.
And if Kirk walks?
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:57 AM   #23
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
And if Kirk walks?
I'm not ruling out a trade to SF, I'm sorry but when there is that much smoke usually there is fire.. I also agree, if he walks after this yr, then what? We would be screwed
Old 04-15-2017, 11:23 AM   #24
Irrefutable
The Starter

Quote:
And if Kirk walks?
Then you deal with it next year. The 2018 QB draft should be better.

If KC wants to leave next year there is almost nothing you can do. The franchise tag would be over $30 million and the Skins cannot afford that. They have a few good players who will be free agents in 2018 too.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:40 AM   #25
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
And if Kirk walks?
We look to next years draft. This years isn't great...

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:20 PM   #26
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrefutable View Post
Then you deal with it next year. The 2018 QB draft should be better.

If KC wants to leave next year there is almost nothing you can do. The franchise tag would be over $30 million and the Skins cannot afford that. They have a few good players who will be free agents in 2018 too.
You're right. There is nothing that can be done if you wait and Kirk leaves next year. So why wait? Why not protect your interest now while there is still value to be had?

And who's to say next year's class is better? QB draft classes are like Monet's they look better from a distance.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:56 PM   #27
Irrefutable
The Starter

Quote:
You're right. There is nothing that can be done if you wait and Kirk leaves next year. So why wait? Why not protect your interest now while there is still value to be had?

And who's to say next year's class is better? QB draft classes are like Monet's they look better from a distance.
Why wait ? again, because no one will give you much for a one year rental @ $25 million dollars. If they draft well they could be good next year, and there is a slight chance they can sign KC long term next off-season.

I would be shocked if any team is offering a high 2017 first now.... who knows ?
Old 04-16-2017, 10:31 PM   #28
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrefutable View Post
Why wait ? again, because no one will give you much for a one year rental @ $25 million dollars.
As opposed to not getting anything IF/When he walks next year.

Quote:
If they draft well they could be good next year, and there is a slight chance they can sign KC long term next off-season.
Haven't the slightest clue to whether Kirk will sign or not. Based on the fact there is currently no deal when there should be if both parties wanted it......seems prudent to prepare for all contingencies.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:01 PM   #29
FlyerSkin

Quote:

Haven't the slightest clue to whether Kirk will sign or not. Based on the fact there is currently no deal when there should be if both parties wanted it......seems prudent to prepare for all contingencies.
I agree about being prudent. I think we should work Sudfeld out and see what he can do. I can also see a trade still on the table. There should have been a deal done already if it was really going to happen.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:29 PM   #30
Irrefutable
The Starter

Quote:

If they keep KC for 2017 they should get solid QB play for 1 year. If they trade him ?????.... a second or third round pick ? (you are not getting a first for a rental)

If KC walks in 2018 they actually get a compensatory pick - not sure which round, but probably a late third round pick.

NFL Compensatory Picks 2015: Rules, Formula Explanation and Latest Projections | Bleacher Report