Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

MLB Offseason

Other Sports

Old 01-16-2014, 11:40 AM   #16
FRPLG
MVP

Re: MLB Offseason

To me when considering this you have to first ignore players on first contracts whom you have to scout, draft, develop and keep healthy...all of which makes them basically a totally different animal.

Once you get to established pitchers on second+ contracts the cost of wins goes up almost exponentially.

A pitcher who can win an average amount of games is worth an average amount of money...say $7 mil for 10 wins.

But a pitcher who can win 20 games is worth more like $20 mil (not $14). That's just what these guys get paid. A lot of them.

When you consider his age (25...young), health history(good...very good), stuff (hard to argue he isn't the best pitcher in the league), the length of the contract (only 7 years), and the financial resources of the team I think the money makes as much sense as any contract in sports does. It seems ridiculous on its face but I don't think I could figure out a way to spend the $30 mil per year to get his type of predictable production versus risk.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-16-2014, 11:45 AM   #17
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Salaries are beyond stupid in baseball.
Salaries in every sport are pretty much reflective of how much money the sport makes versus the amount of players. Only in football where the owners have been beyond wildly successful in keeping salaries in check and there are over double the active players is that not exactly the case.

The salaries in the NBA are astounding. League average players playing 18 minutes a game and averaging 5/5 make $10+ mil. Craziness. But there are so few players and the sport makes so much money that even the crap players "small" chunk is huge money.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:06 AM   #18
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Masahiro Tanaka, New York Yankees agree to seven-year, $155 million deal - ESPN New York

a guy who has never pitched in the majors is going to make an avg of 22 million per season for seven years? folks that money is all guarenteed. Un-f*cking-belivable

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:59 AM   #19
Monkeydad
Living Legend

This is not uncommon for the top Japanese pitchers coming over, there's always a bidding war.

It all started with Nomo, then Irabu, Matsuzaka, Igawa, Darvish to name the expensive ones and plenty of others in between.

Nomo, All Star
Irabu killed himself
Matsuzaka, bust
Igawa, bust
Darvish, All Star

Tanaka is said to be worth the money. He was 24-0 in Japan last season.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:44 PM   #20
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Masahiro Tanaka, New York Yankees agree to seven-year, $155 million deal - ESPN New York

a guy who has never pitched in the majors is going to make an avg of 22 million per season for seven years? folks that money is all guarenteed. Un-f*cking-belivable

I hope it blows up in the Yanks face much like the Arod signing. Hell, even some of the other signings are coming back to haunt them right now. I imagine they are going to regret the back half of the Teixeira contract which was 8 years in length. You know they already hate the fact they have Sabathia tied up for another 2 more years at a huge price tag while he's on a serious decline.

I enjoy watching the Yanks implode. Their best signing was probably Jacoby Ellsbury, but not sure he's worth 22 mil/season.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote