MTK
\m/

2022 veteran QB options

Alright let's boil this down, feel free to offer up your own evaluations:

Tier 1
Rodgers
Wilson
Watson

Let's be real, all of these guys are big time long shots. Watson is probably the most "attainable", but his legal issues are a serious dark cloud and answers don't seem to be coming anytime soon. Chances of landing any of these guys? Less than 5% and I'm probably being generous.

Tier 2
Carr
Jimmy G
Cousins
Ryan
Wentz

The Raiders seem intent on bringing back Carr as well they should. Jimmy G seems like a lock to be moved, but if the price is more than a 3rd I'd definitely pass. Cousins and McConnell are reuniting, but he's got a $45M cap hit for 2022 and the Vikings need some serious cap relief. If Kirk doesn't budge they could move him. I know what you're thinking, no way he'd come back here. Perhaps, but his agent has ties to Wright and Rivera and his main nemesis Bruce Allen is long gone. The Falcons are starting to look toward a future beyond Ryan and it could start with them targeting someone like Malik Willis at #8 overall. Dealing Ryan would result in some serious dead money for Atl though. Indy wasn't happy with the way Wentz crashed and burned at the end of the season with the playoffs on the line, and they seem to be seriously rethinking whether he is their guy going forward.

JAGS
Trubisky
Heinicke

I can't say enough how much I hate the idea of Trubisky. And sticking with Heinicke another year is almost as tough to swallow. If either of these guys are starting in week 1, it better be because a rookie is waiting in the wings ready to get his shot sooner rather than later.

Crazy idea
Call Tom Brady, offer him the moon and if he asks for more, give it to him

Advertisements
Old 02-16-2022, 11:19 AM   #2
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: 2022 veteran QB options

Deshaun Watson has listed Minnesota and Tampa as his top 2 destinations per ESPN.

He has made it clear from day 1 that he won’t come to Washington so F that dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2022, 11:19 AM   #3
mredskins
MVP

Jamison Winston be tier two as well.

If we go tier two i say we still need to draft a QB.
Old 02-16-2022, 11:24 AM   #4
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Not a veteran and I would put at Tier 3, but Jordan love. If GB finishes deal with AR then they will have to move on from Love. You can't have a QB sit their entire rookie contract and then extend him. I personally do not see him as a future starter in the league but if Turner thinks he can work with him a trade could be intriguing and I would prefer it to Heinicke or Trubisky.
Old 02-16-2022, 11:33 AM   #5
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Also Tier 2
J Winston

Tier 2.5
M Mariota
T Taylor
A Dalton

There were reports last year that Washington was interested in acquiring Mariota from the Raiders. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Mariota, but if there was interest just a year ago, my guess is he is still an option.

T Taylor - the typical bridge QB, a role he's accustomed to, and an upgrade to TH. Only if they plan to draft a QB.

Just no for A Dalton

Winston is intriguing to me. Not sure what the plan is for the new New Orleans regime. Jameis seemed to be righting the ship last year, with regard to his interceptions. 14 TD / 3 INT prior to his injury. He has thrown for over 4000 yards three times, including 2019 with Tampa when he threw for over 5000 yards.

I wouldn't count either of these guys out just yet.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 11:42 AM   #6
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I would go

1. Wilson…make the home run offer
2. Wentz - this to me is a no brainer. He bounced back and I could see him being the top QB garnering interest quickly across the league. Ron needs to move fast..offer the 1 and a defensive player now.
3. Matt Ryan - the money is an issue, but Ron needs to win now. Ryan would be a calming influence on the team and the leader on offense they need. I might put him ahead of Wentz.
4. Winston - the guy for all his faults is loved by coaching staffs and teams. His story isn’t finished in the NFL. System system system matters.
5. Trubisky - they had interest before and as a fall back option he would be cheap. He can run and has a decent arm. I like he sat and learned behind a winner last year.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 11:45 AM   #7
SunnySide
Playmaker

Russell Wilson -- Im starting to think there is an increasing chance we get breaking news Commanders trade 3 1st rounders for Russell Wilson. Crazy talk before this season but now, Im starting to think its a real possibility.

RR didnt come here to rebuild and he certainly doesnt have the time to wait on a weak draft class Willis or Corrall. He went big for Stafford who didnt want to come here. I think we are going big for Russ who said he would come here.

Russell Wilson + new name + jersey sales + fans buying in + new stadium ready just in time for Russ's farewell retirement season media extravaganza = $$$$

RR wants to win now. Dan Snyder loves selling hope in the offseason. Their interests are mutual here.

Haynesworth, McNabb ... now Russell Wilson.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 11:50 AM   #8
SunnySide
Playmaker

Russell Wilson and Chase Young would be a two headed media darling dragon.

Instantly this team is very marketable.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 11:52 AM   #9
MTK
\m/

Question for me is why would Seattle deal Wilson and take a huge step back with a HC that probably isn't interested in starting over at QB at his age (70)
Old 02-16-2022, 12:03 PM   #10
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Trubisky, Jimmy G, Mariota, Wentz and Winston are the realistic options. Give it up on Wilson. Not happening. Neither is Watson.

I would say Cousins is maybe a real outside shot. Better chance he comes back here over Wilsons and Watson. That is how far out the Wilson and Watson talk is.

This is basically Jacksonville in a bigger market. The players know that. They know the deal here. I doubt Jimmy comes here simply because Kyle won't put Jimmy in that kind of position.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 12:04 PM   #11
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Question for me is why would Seattle deal Wilson and take a huge step back with a HC that probably isn't interested in starting over at QB at his age (70)
This is why the Wilson talk is a total waste of time.
Old 02-16-2022, 12:06 PM   #12
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Russell Wilson and Chase Young would be a two headed media darling dragon.

Instantly this team is very marketable.
C'mon. Wilson is an accomplished SB champ and a borderline HOF type of player.

Chase had like one sack last year. SMH...
Old 02-16-2022, 12:08 PM   #13
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Seattle has not said a word regarding RW, which to me seems odd.. If they were keeping him you would think they would come out and say that.

I'd offer 2 first and go from there.

Wentz to me is better than the other guys listed.
Old 02-16-2022, 12:09 PM   #14
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Deshaun Watson has listed Minnesota and Tampa as his top 2 destinations per ESPN.

He has made it clear from day 1 that he won’t come to Washington so F that dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you were him would you want to come here? I wouldn't. Tampa has a playoff team. He could walk in there and they'd could be right back contending.
Old 02-16-2022, 12:10 PM   #15
MTK
\m/

The rub and tug joint situation in Tampa is probably much more appealing than in DC.