Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins Promote Kevin O'Connell To Offensive Coordinator; Matt Cavanaugh Moves To Senior Offensive Assistant

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-05-2019, 12:57 PM   #76
MTK
\m/

Redskins Promote Kevin O'Connell To Offensive Coordinator; Matt Cavanaugh Moves To Senior Offensive Assistant

^
You really believe anything Bruce says at this point??

Jay needs to win period

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisements
Old 02-05-2019, 01:08 PM   #77
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Re: Redskins Promote Kevin O'Connell To Offensive Coordinator; Matt Cavanaugh Moves To Senior Offensive Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
^
You really believe anything Bruce says at this point??

Jay needs to win period

I don't believe anything Bruce says, but given that they promoted OConnell and fans generally seemed to like the move, if Bruce wanted to ride that small amount of good will, he could have said KO would call plays or that Jay would decide. The fact he explicitly squashed the fans hope means that, more likely than not, the plan is for Jay to call plays.

If Jay lets KO call plays and the skins win, it doesn't help Jay. KO will get all the credit and Jay will be sent packing.

Jays only hope of remaining as HC is for the team to win in such a way that Jay receives the credit. After 5 years, its abundantly apparent that Jay is very self conscious in this regard. He's consistently brought in lower-level talent to his staff and spurned guys who he could perceive as being a threat to him. I have no confidence Jay will suddenly start doing what is best for the team and not what Jay thinks is best for him personally.

We also must remember that promoting KO was almost certainly not Jays idea. reports were going around for a while that Snyder loved KO and wanted to do everything possible to ensure he didn't walk away like McVay did. KOs promotion was almost certainly a directive from Snyder.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:51 PM   #78
MTK
\m/

Re: Redskins Promote Kevin O'Connell To Offensive Coordinator; Matt Cavanaugh Moves To Senior Offensive Assistant

The same Gruden that had McVay calling plays for a couple of years under him, the same Gruden that had KOC calling plays last year when Sanchez was in the game?

Of course winning games at any cost helps Gruden. Do you really think if they win 10 or 11 games it won't help get Gruden an extension? Or at least put him in a good spot to land a HC job elsewhere?

Bottom line is Gruden needs to win, period.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:14 PM   #79
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
The same Gruden that had McVay calling plays for a couple of years under him, the same Gruden that had KOC calling plays last year when Sanchez was in the game?
McVay was here before Gruden. I'm sure Gruden was happy McVay got another job when he did, because if he had stayed around another year, you better believe Jay would have been fired and McVay promoted. And you're assuming it was Gruden's decision to give KOC a shot at calling a handful of plays... given the reports we've heard about how Snyder has been enamored with KOC for a while, its quite possible this was an edict from above, although that is just speculation.

Quote:
Of course winning games at any cost helps Gruden. Do you really think if they win 10 or 11 games it won't help get Gruden an extension?
No. I don't think it will help him all. If O'Connell is calling the plays, he will get all of the credit for the teams success.

Quote:
Or at least put him in a good spot to land a HC job elsewhere?
It might help him, but it depends on how many jobs are open and what other candidates are available. Jay has had a track record of mediocrity as an OC. He's respected by the players because he's a "players coach" but nothing about him inspires confidence as a HC. The only scenarios where i think other teams want Jay as a HC is where the team experiences a degree of success which i think is outside the realm of possibility.

Quote:
Bottom line is Gruden needs to win, period.
Jay is smart enough to understand the situation that he's in and his only chance of staying here in 2020 or getting a job elsewhere is having monumental success this year. Do you really think Jay feels that his best shot of having that success is:
A) turning over play-calling duties to someone with incredibility limited experience
B) "Controlling his own destiny" and retaining play-calling duties himself
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:30 PM   #80
MTK
\m/

McVay started calling plays under Gruden so I don’t get the logic that he’s so insecure to not let anyone else handle those duties. And he also had O’Connell calling plays last year when Sanchez was on the field.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:09 PM   #81
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Who cares who the playcaller is. We don't have a QB that can take us all the way. We don't have coaches that can take us all the way. We basically don't have a good enough organization that can win 10 games. Our max under Gruden is 9 games. Plus our players are always hurt. So with that being said, I could care less who calls the plays. Does it really matter?
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:39 PM   #82
MTK
\m/

So play calling doesn’t matter? Good to know

Old 02-05-2019, 07:36 PM   #83
OmahaRedskins
Impact Rookie

I do not care who calls plays as long as they get the passing game and running game in synch. In my opinion, Bill C is a big part of the problem.
OmahaRedskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:19 PM   #84
calia
Playmaker

This debate seems a bit off to me. It does matter who calls plays, but it's an "all boats rise" situation. If the Skins turn magically into a 12-win team with Gruden at the helm, he'll stick around no matter who is calling plays. I cannot think of any situation in which a team that was winning (on the field -- I cannot believe I have to be specific) fired its HC and had whomever was calling plays take over. Heck, the only team I can think of in recent memory that fired a coach after a winning season was the Titans, and it was clear that Mularkey and the ownership didn't scrape along well.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:49 PM   #85
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:

Apparently it doesn't
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:39 PM   #86
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:

Just let em go back to the old days and let the QB call the plays. Give the QB a wrist band full of plays and let him do it.

Did anyone notice how the Patriots offense went back to basic football 101 in the playoffs? They were in so many traditional pro sets, 2 wr's, 1TE, fullback and a tailback. Basic simple football that has nothing to do with complicated offense or playcalling. I found that interesting. I also find it interesting that the most successful team for the last 18 years or so always has a fullback.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:55 PM   #87
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Just let em go back to the old days and let the QB call the plays. Give the QB a wrist band full of plays and let him do it.

Did anyone notice how the Patriots offense went back to basic football 101 in the playoffs? They were in so many traditional pro sets, 2 wr's, 1TE, fullback and a tailback. Basic simple football that has nothing to do with complicated offense or playcalling. I found that interesting. I also find it interesting that the most successful team for the last 18 years or so always has a fullback.
Belichick has always placed a premium on blocking. The FB needs to be versatile, but a blocker first. Gronk gets the pub as a receiver but he’s just as stout at the point of attack. Receivers are asked to block, the RBs don’t get playing time for him if they can’t pick up the blitz. You’re right it’s a lesson in the fundamentals of football.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:12 PM   #88
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Belichick has always placed a premium on blocking. The FB needs to be versatile, but a blocker first. Gronk gets the pub as a receiver but he’s just as stout at the point of attack. Receivers are asked to block, the RBs don’t get playing time for him if they can’t pick up the blitz. You’re right it’s a lesson in the fundamentals of football.
More like boringdamentals. Give me stupid unnecessary formations and plays that take 12 seconds to execute.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:17 PM   #89
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

The #Redskins are interviewing a familiar face for their vacant QB coach job: Tim Rattay, the QB coach for Louisiana Tech, is speaking with Jay Gruden today, source said. He’s got a good chance to get it. Rattay also interviewed with the #Raiders and Jon Gruden last year.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:11 PM   #90
kct1975
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
The #Redskins are interviewing a familiar face for their vacant QB coach job: Tim Rattay, the QB coach for Louisiana Tech, is speaking with Jay Gruden today, source said. He’s got a good chance to get it. Rattay also interviewed with the #Raiders and Jon Gruden last year.
I thought that name sounded familiar...I remember when Tim Rattay played for the 49ers

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk