\m/

Commanders to retire Hall of Fame quarterback Sonny Jurgensen's No. 9 jersey

Commanders to retire Hall of Fame quarterback Sonny Jurgensen's No. 9 jersey

Long overdue

Advertisements
Old 08-24-2022, 10:54 AM   #2
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Re: Commanders to retire Hall of Fame quarterback Sonny Jurgensen's No. 9 jersey

I hope whoever was involved in honoring Sean Taylor is not involved with this one.

Congrats to Sonny Jurgensen and his family. Always great to see franchise legends honored. Well deserved.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 10:59 AM   #3
MTK
\m/

Re: Commanders to retire Hall of Fame quarterback Sonny Jurgensen's No. 9 jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
I hope whoever was involved in honoring Sean Taylor is not involved with this one.

Congrats to Sonny Jurgensen and his family. Always great to see franchise legends honored. Well deserved.
No offense to Sean at all, but Sonny and some others deserved this honor before him.

I don't want to see any porta pottie shots from this, or Dan showing up looking haggard in a hoodie.
Old 08-24-2022, 10:54 PM   #4
nonniey
The Starter

What I don't get is - didn't Sonny's jersey get retired 2 years ago? Along with every other player's jersey who had ever played for the Redskins?
nonniey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 10:57 PM   #5
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
No offense to Sean at all, but Sonny and some others deserved this honor before him.

I don't want to see any porta pottie shots from this, or Dan showing up looking haggard in a hoodie.

Well, to be honest Sean didn't deserve to have his jersey retired at all. Not his fault but he just didn't accomplish enough.
nonniey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 08:05 AM   #6
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonniey View Post
Well, to be honest Sean didn't deserve to have his jersey retired at all. Not his fault but he just didn't accomplish enough.
Agree. He was a good player but Sonny deserved this a long long time ago.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 08:35 AM   #7
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonniey View Post
Well that's just it, it wasn't his fault he was killed, had he lived he very likely would have had a HOF worthy career.

I don't have a problem with his number being retired, it just didn't need to happen ahead of those more deserving like Sonny.
Old 08-25-2022, 08:37 AM   #8
MTK
\m/

Man he must have been fun to watch
Old 08-25-2022, 10:27 AM   #9
skinsfan69
Living Legend

I'm just waiting to see how the front office will screw this up, cause you know they're going to. They just can't get things like this right.

Whatever they do, don't go out there on Sonny's day and call him a fucking Commander. Don't disrespect him like that.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 10:41 AM   #10
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:

I don't think you've got much to worry about. First, the "brain trust" will probably have learned enough to lock the porta-potties that will be lining Sonny Lane prior to the ceremony to keep the odor down. Unfortunately, it would cost too much to move them, plus they'll be needed for the comfort of the fans afterwards.

Secondly, Snyder probably won't be there at all. He'll probably be on his yacht outside of U.S. territorial waters hiding from federal authorities.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 03:49 PM   #11
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Well that's just it, it wasn't his fault he was killed, had he lived he very likely would have had a HOF worthy career.

I don't have a problem with his number being retired, it just didn't need to happen ahead of those more deserving like Sonny.
Sums it up for me - and ST is my all-time favorite Redskin.

Sonny should open the floodgates - Monk, Green off the top of my head deserve it too.
Old 08-25-2022, 03:51 PM   #12
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
I don't think you've got much to worry about. First, the "brain trust" will probably have learned enough to lock the porta-potties that will be lining Sonny Lane prior to the ceremony to keep the odor down. Unfortunately, it would cost too much to move them, plus they'll be needed for the comfort of the fans afterwards.

Secondly, Snyder probably won't be there at all. He'll probably be on his yacht outside of U.S. territorial waters hiding from federal authorities.
Snyder will be attending in spirit from his IMAX theater on his yacht.

He'll be rocking his best tv interview wear for the occasion.
Old 08-25-2022, 03:53 PM   #13
MTK
\m/

Depending on how the elections go Snyder may be free and clear to be back in the US by January.
Old 08-25-2022, 06:14 PM   #14
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Depending on how the elections go Snyder may be free and clear to be back in the US by January.
Do you hear that Chico? A vote for conservatives is a vote in favor of Snyder's ownership.

I actually just came in this thread to drop this link about JP Finlay's favorite Sonny story.

I don't have many great Sonny stories because his golden years on the field and in the booth were before my time but that story is hilarious
Old 09-05-2022, 02:54 PM   #15
Onaroll
Camp Scrub

My Favorite Sonny Jurgensen Stat was:

In his Final Season, he LED THE NFC Completions 64.1 PCT and in Passer Rating 94%: AT 40 yrs OLD unheard of at the time!
Onaroll is offline   Reply With Quote