Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Broncos Running Game

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-28-2004, 11:22 AM   #16
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Here are a few of Gibbs' RBs and their respective sizes. This should cool the myth that Gibbs only used BIG BACKS:

Earnest Byner, 5'11" -- 220 lbs
Ricky Ervins, 5'7" -- 200 lbs
Brian Mitchell 5'10" -- 215 lbs
Kelvin Bryant 6'2" -- 210 lbs (taller than average, but not meaty)
Joe Washington -- small, don't have actual records for him, but he was small.

Of course there were guys like Riggins, Rogers, and Riggs. But it's safe to say Gibbs knew the value of having multiple type RBs on his roster.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-28-2004, 12:05 PM   #17
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
Ever think that maybe, just maybe Gibbs will change his system a little bit for a smaller back? He can take a beating, he carries the load at Denver, but I don't recommend running him right up the middle every down. He can hit the outside and roll.

I guarantee you Portis needs a much smaller hole and can do a lot more once he's through it than Riggins.
I have been thinking that very thing for a while, as far as adjusting his system, especially on defense, I think he wanted someone more aggresive than pettibone, I was also wondering if he plan's to utilize his back's a little differently than he has in the past? It sounds like portis's arrival is going to happen, and gibb's I believe is looking for a more high powered offense than he used to run, I think he was alway's enamoured by the QB's who could get out of the pocket and run and he really want's to use that with brunnell with a lot of planned roll out's and so forth, it looks like he really want's to pressure the defense with speed.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 12:23 PM   #18
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Next offseason move. Vick to Washington!
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 12:35 PM   #19
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1
I'm hearing Portis this, Portis that. While I think Portis is a great back, I don't think he could have done what he has without the superb play of the Broncos offensive line. I think if our offensive line doesn't play well next year Portis will be avarage at best. I firmly believe that the Bronco's offensive line can make any back look great and they have proven that over the past 8 years.

As for Champ, thanks for the memories and good luck.
True but the same could be said for any RB. Do you think Jamal Lewis would have had the kind of season he did last year if it wasn't for his outstanding OL leading the way??

Wherever there's a top RB there is usually a top OL. Outside of Barry Sanders, I can't think of a RB that doesn't need a quality OL.

The guys we have on our OL are tailor made for a running offense, Samuels, Jansen, Thomas and Dockery are all better suited for a smashmouth attack opposed to a drop back and pass block 40 times a game offense. Add in the knowledge and experience of a line coach like Bugel and I think we can have a good line next year, certainly much improved over the disappointing performances we witnessed the last two years with Helton.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 12:39 PM   #20
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven
Here are a few of Gibbs' RBs and their respective sizes. This should cool the myth that Gibbs only used BIG BACKS:

Earnest Byner, 5'11" -- 220 lbs
Ricky Ervins, 5'7" -- 200 lbs
Brian Mitchell 5'10" -- 215 lbs
Kelvin Bryant 6'2" -- 210 lbs (taller than average, but not meaty)
Joe Washington -- small, don't have actual records for him, but he was small.

Of course there were guys like Riggins, Rogers, and Riggs. But it's safe to say Gibbs knew the value of having multiple type RBs on his roster.
Great point Beems. Ever since the Portis rumors started circulating that's been the constant arguement I've heard, is Portis a Gibbs kind of back. The perception is that Gibbs always had a big, plodding smashmouth back. That's really not true, especially when you look at the size of the guys above. Outside of Riggins and Rogers Gibbs' backs weren't especially big.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 02:13 AM   #21
manicd
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
Great point Beems. Ever since the Portis rumors started circulating that's been the constant arguement I've heard, is Portis a Gibbs kind of back. The perception is that Gibbs always had a big, plodding smashmouth back. That's really not true, especially when you look at the size of the guys above. Outside of Riggins and Rogers Gibbs' backs weren't especially big.
Great feedback on that. I was just throwing that out there for all paranoid freeks like me. I'm Sure Gibbs knows what is going on. Great point on those backs. I'm sure he had a plan, I am just another impationt Skins fan. Throw me a bone. I don't care if it gets done with Portis, Betts, Canidate. The offseeason is too F******Long. Gibbs is back baby!!!!!
manicd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 02:23 AM   #22
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

I think Portis is the goods, and rest assured, Gibbs and co will find out how to best utilize him.

Gibbs actually commented on this recently (it's probably on the newswire somewhere), I thnk while at the combine. He noted that everyone thinks of Riggo, but Joe Washington was small, and Byner certainly wasn't huge, and he won with those guys. As usual, Gibbs is one step ahead of us on all this. Man it's nice to have a guy in charge who really sweats the details !

Nice post, Beems