Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Looking ahead: next week will tell us who this team really is.

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-27-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
dgack
The Starter

Looking ahead: next week will tell us who this team really is.

IMO, I think next week will really show us what this team is made of. This is a classic trap game, and one that the Skins have consistently blown in years past. A lot of the media types said the Dallas game was a "must win" for Shanahan, but I don't think that was ever true.

The Rams game, however, will be. Will our squad bring a Grand Canyon-sized chip on our shoulders into this game and step on the throats of a depleted Rams squad? Or will we be conservative and tighten the leash on Rex, and continue to settle for FGs?

(I think the Dallas-Detroit game is going to be key for the same reason: I think it's the game where Dallas is exposed for what they are, and Detroit takes their step to the next level).

Things I'm looking for next week:

-- More Screens. I'd like to see Kyle call more screen passes to Hightower. We could have run the clock out last night with a heavier diet of screens, especially when Ware was basically jumping the snap count on every down towards the end. When we did throw them we got huge gains.

-- Rex the Amnesiac Gunslinger. By now we know what we have with this guy, which is to say, he's going to win us some games by having absolutely no conscience, a short memory, and brass cojones. But we'll likely lose some too. It's Favre Lite, minus the dong pics. I just hope we don't put the training wheels back on or start getting conservative. We'll never develop a vertical passing game without DOING it in games and giving players chances to make plays.

-- Continued execution and special teams excellence. Rocca's botched hold notwithstanding, our special teams have been pretty awesome this year, and we've been generally playing penalty-free football. I can't stress how awesome this is. It's a joy to watch a team just line up and know how to run plays and look like they've done it before. (Ask yourself if you'd rather have that or the shoot-from-the-hip and pray-for-a-miracle Cowboys/Romo offense).

-- More dominance from Dirty 30, more forced turnovers, more aggressive play. His presence was felt immediately and you have to think balls are going to bounce our way eventually if we keep attacking the ball.

What are you guys looking for next week?
"To bring a Sherm Lewis in to a Jim Zorn and whoever his offensive coordinator is, it's like bringing in another man to help teach you how to make better love to your wife or something." -- Tre Johnson
dgack is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Re: Looking ahead: next week will tell us who this team really is.

Even though I hate the phrase, the "trap game" was last night.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
dgack
The Starter

How can a rivalry game with a team that is ostensibly more talented and overwhelmingly favored to win be considered a trap game?

Other that diehard fans (i.e. us) is there anyone who really booked this as a W and didn't even think twice? To me that's the definition of a trap game.
"To bring a Sherm Lewis in to a Jim Zorn and whoever his offensive coordinator is, it's like bringing in another man to help teach you how to make better love to your wife or something." -- Tre Johnson
Old 09-27-2011, 12:15 PM   #4
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Well the guys on NFC Playbook were unanmous in picking us to win.

Last night was not a trap game and to be honest, I am not even totally sure what that means.

If this team wants to win and be who they tought themselves to be, then they must go out and dominate this game. If we have problems with the Rams then we may be in for a long season that just started well.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #5
44ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgack View Post
How can a rivalry game with a team that is ostensibly more talented and overwhelmingly favored to win be considered a trap game?

Other that diehard fans (i.e. us) is there anyone who really booked this as a W and didn't even think twice? To me that's the definition of a trap game.
Monday Night in Dallas... Thats their signature game.
44ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:23 PM   #6
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

How is this a trap game? The Rams have talent yet they are 0-3 and desperately need a win. I think the Skins know full well what they will be facing in St. Louis.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

St. Louis has beaten us two years in a row. They better have a good idea of who this team is.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
dgack
The Starter

I didn't really intend for this to devolve into the definition of a trap game, so let's just say this:

Given that St. Louis is 0-3, has a -60 scoring differential, a young QB, an aging RB and a list of injured/disableds that would make the old folks home blush, it would seem Sunday's matchup is a game the Redskins "should" win.

This is not necessarily the case with the Dallas game. Dallas was banged up, but most of those guys played, they have a +2 differential and are always a tough out.

That having been said, we "should" beat the Rams. My contention is that the Rams game is a much bigger litmus test of our progress this season than the Dallas game was (precisely for the reasons given above: we always get up for our most hated rival, yet St. Louis has beaten us 2 years in a row).

The Rams are hurting. We need to step on their throats. Anything less would be a very, very bad omen.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:54 PM   #9
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

It's not a trap bcuz they beat us last year lol.. Skins win this game big just watch
Old 09-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #10
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I don't think the Skins finally win big this game simply because Stephen Jackson will be back, and I know damn well they will be determined to put the ball in his hands. That Rams team with and without S.Jax are two different teams. It's gonna be another close one, and I hope the guys are good and po'd after this loss on Monday night.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:19 PM   #11
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

Yes,anybody who thinks we will win big is .I couldnt believe some of the Dallas predictions.Were not going to blow anybody out,were going to have to scratch and claw for every win
Old 09-27-2011, 02:36 PM   #12
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownskinfan View Post
Yes,anybody who thinks we will win big is .I couldnt believe some of the Dallas predictions.Were not going to blow anybody out,were going to have to scratch and claw for every win
Big to me is 2 scores lol
Old 09-27-2011, 02:38 PM   #13
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

which is what we beat the giants by
Old 09-27-2011, 02:39 PM   #14
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I don't think the Skins finally win big this game simply because Stephen Jackson will be back, and I know damn well they will be determined to put the ball in his hands. That Rams team with and without S.Jax are two different teams. It's gonna be another close one, and I hope the guys are good and po'd after this loss on Monday night.
He was back this past week and they still got smoked. They've got bigger problems.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:41 PM   #15
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I'd say something like 27-14