Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Trent Williams holding out for new deal

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Should the Redskins pay or trade Trent Williams?
Pay him 34 46.58%
Trade him 39 53.42%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 09:29 PM   #751
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
More than this year left on his contract. A solution on the left side of the line. A swing tackle who can be relied upon. If you trade straight up for Clowney and get no other compensation (high draft picks as suggested would be the asking price), you are worse off next year than you are this year.

I'm not even sure why this is a discussion. No way in hell this happens...

Clowney is a stud, and much younger than TW. Does it solve our LT problem? No. Does it make us worse? No.
I mean TW is not getting any younger so I am not sure how getting a stud on the other side of the line who has years left in the tank is a terrible way out of this mess? We need to draft left side help on the o line regardless in the very near future. Is it better if TW and us have a stand off this year? His value will only go down as he gets older.

Advertisements
Old 08-14-2019, 09:40 PM   #752
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

I just dont see us getting a first (which btw does not guarantee you a player better than Clowney) for a 31 year old who has missed about 13 games over the last three years? Even if there is a team who is willing to give one up for someone who if healthy can put them over the top, Id be more inclined for a proven stud like Clowney.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:06 PM   #753
rocnrik
Playmaker

Re: Trent Williams holding out for new deal

When TW reports would he have to undergo physical and test for substance or. Is that a ongoing thing even in off season?
Old 08-14-2019, 10:25 PM   #754
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
I just dont see us getting a first (which btw does not guarantee you a player better than Clowney) for a 31 year old who has missed about 13 games over the last three years? Even if there is a team who is willing to give one up for someone who if healthy can put them over the top, Id be more inclined for a proven stud like Clowney.
I think you're underestimating how important the left tackle is (blindside protector for majority of starting qb's), not to mention how much T.Will is respected around the league (multiple awards, plays through injuries every year, team captain).

If some starting tackles go down on contenders I could easily see someone giving up a first for Trent. He's only 31, whoever gets him could easily get another 4-5 years out of him.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:01 PM   #755
Irrefutable
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I think you're underestimating how important the left tackle is (blindside protector for majority of starting qb's), not to mention how much T.Will is respected around the league (multiple awards, plays through injuries every year, team captain).

If some starting tackles go down on contenders I could easily see someone giving up a first for Trent. He's only 31, whoever gets him could easily get another 4-5 years out of him.
keep in mind a first from New England will probably be the 30+ pick.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:20 PM   #756
Warthog
The Starter

More and more articles are coming out about a trade deal. The Redskins are getting calls everyday. All the friends on the Redskins, like AP today, have called TW to try to get him to come back. I just don’t think, for whatever reason, that he ever wants to play for the Redskins again.

So now it’s up to Bruce Allen to try to get the best trade deal that he can with this situation. I think that there would be a huge uproar if BA got anything less than a first round draft pick for TW. I don’t think the Redskins want a player trade, especially for a expensive DL player when the team has been using their topReskins draft picks to build an elite DL.

If BA waits for it, he can get a top draft pick from the Texans or someone else for TW. He’s not going anywhere and he either come back to play or he’s traded over the next two years.

With 2 first round picks used on the OL and by re-signing Scherff, the Redskins can rebuild an outstanding OL to protect Haskins and open holes for Guice for next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Old 08-14-2019, 11:24 PM   #757
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post

That is why I said even if he puts someone over the top Id be more inclined to have a proven difference maker like Clowney than a crap shoot of a pick - and like Irrefutable said - if that pick comes because a contender needs a LT you are looking at a late first rounder.
All I know is we might see our quarterback of the future at some point and we really could use him. What an unbelievably crazy and shitty situation.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:46 AM   #758
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Clowney is a stud, and much younger than TW. Does it solve our LT problem? No. Does it make us worse? No.
I mean TW is not getting any younger so I am not sure how getting a stud on the other side of the line who has years left in the tank is a terrible way out of this mess? We need to draft left side help on the o line regardless in the very near future. Is it better if TW and us have a stand off this year? His value will only go down as he gets older.
He's very good. I'm not debating that. However, trading for him implies you plan to sign him to a long term contract. Doubt we could do that AND have enough $ leftover to resign guys like Scherff, Kerrigan... You also get no draft capital to shore up the O line next year.

Yeah, no thanks.

I don't know if it's "better" to have a stand off, as you call it, but you can't just give in either. TW either comes back to play, or you wait for the deal you can't refuse.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:31 AM   #759
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Wait till a contending team has a T get hurt, they’ll pay. If Houston gave a 3rd rounder for a RB (Duke Johnson) why can’t the skins get a 1st rounder or more.
This is the the best post of the lot on this topic, IMO. A SB contender with no LT is a desperate team.

The Skins should simply be patient. It seems like he's not physically ready to practice or play anyway, so why worry about getting him into Redskins Park right away? Just wait him out. He'll probably report eventually.

On the other hand, if he's serious about not playing for the Redskins, the Skins should still wait until the deal they want comes along.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:37 AM   #760
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
This is the the best post of the lot on this topic, IMO. A SB contender with no LT is a desperate team.

The Skins should simply be patient. It seems like he's not physically ready to practice or play anyway, so why worry about getting him into Redskins Park right away? Just wait him out. He'll probably report in time.

On the other hand, if he's serious about not playing for the Redskins, the Skins should still wait until the deal they want comes along.
Exactly. The Redskins hold the cards. To stay away, Trent would have to be willing to give up $617K per week, or $11M per season. And teams will be most willing to make a deal between the week 3 preseason games and Week 1.

Gotta just sit tight.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:43 AM   #761
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

If nothing happens by next friday , a trade will most likely not happen IMO. You rarely see deals being made this late
Old 08-15-2019, 09:47 AM   #762
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle was on SiriusXM NFL Radio, saying the Texans won’t give up a 1 or 2 for Trent.

So that most likely rules them out, unless they are wanting a Clowney swap.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:58 AM   #763
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
He's very good. I'm not debating that. However, trading for him implies you plan to sign him to a long term contract. Doubt we could do that AND have enough $ leftover to resign guys like Scherff, Kerrigan... You also get no draft capital to shore up the O line next year.

Yeah, no thanks.

I don't know if it's "better" to have a stand off, as you call it, but you can't just give in either. TW either comes back to play, or you wait for the deal you can't refuse.

I have no idea if we can afford Clowney Scherrff and RK - seems other teams afford much more talent than that but BA probably put us in some jerkoff position where we cannot. If we can than id be happy with that.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:11 AM   #764
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Exactly. The Redskins hold the cards. To stay away, Trent would have to be willing to give up $617K per week, or $11M per season. And teams will be most willing to make a deal between the week 3 preseason games and Week 1.

Gotta just sit tight.
Agreed.

If the FO plays it right they're in a position of strength:

"Hey TW, you're not that young, sure you wanna sit out 2 years ? Lose all that money and do what it takes to stay in good shape for free hoping to get a huge contract somewhere when you come back ? ... Oh? You want to be traded ? Well, you better pray an injury puts a team in a desperate position and tell your agent to get on his phone and try to find a good offer for us because we're not trading you for an F you sandwich pal..."

Team(s) call(s) to trade for TW:

"Skins FO on the line... Oh, TW? Yeah that'll be a 1st, a 3rd and a 5th. What's that? Too expensive? Well have a nice day Sir, him sitting out doesn't cost us a dime so we can wait for you to come with a better offer".
Old 08-15-2019, 11:21 AM   #765
jamf
Pro Bowl

You gotta remember that Trent would need to show up at some point to get credit for the year, this was week 10 for Leveon bell last year so I assume the same.

Also, Trent is losing a lot of money but the Redskins don't get to use the money allocated to him on the Salary Cap. Is it worth taking a 23M cap loss for a player that isn't going to participate?

Ultimately I don't think they will move him before week 1.
Our new head coach next year with smooth things over and he will be back.
Closed Thread