Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Board Management > Playbook

Message board 101

Playbook

Old 10-29-2007, 06:52 PM   #16
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

Re: Message board 101

I was thinking of a "fire JG, cut Portis, Bench JC" thread. The title will be: "Ugh." Or maybe just "Ug".

Advertisements
Old 10-29-2007, 08:00 PM   #17
4mrusmc
Impact Rookie

Hey Matty, what are those green and sometimes red little chiclet looking things under our Posts: ####? Thanks.
4mrusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:24 PM   #18
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mrusmc View Post
Hey Matty, what are those green and sometimes red little chiclet looking things under our Posts: ####? Thanks.
Those indicate your reputation status. Green good. Red bad. Click on "User CP" for more details
Old 10-29-2007, 08:29 PM   #19
djnemo65
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWsleep View Post
Thanks for making this clear, Matty. Looking at extremeskins lately, it's just been madness over there. We don't want to devolve into that madhouse.

Here's an idea: to those wishing to vent and rant and just let off some angry steam, go to extremeskins and let it all out. Then come back when your forebrain in working again. You'll find plenty of other crazies to join you in your madness over there,
This has got to be the suggestion of the year. We are supposed to exist as the civilized reasoned counterpart to those monkeys over there.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:52 PM   #20
GusFrerotte

Too many overlapping threads for sure. I suggest maybe the mods be the ones to create the threads. You have a ton of posters here that can create threads and might be doing similar threads at the same time without knowing about the other new thread.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:00 PM   #21
GusFrerotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWsleep View Post
I was thinking of a "fire JG, cut Portis, Bench JC" thread. The title will be: "Ugh." Or maybe just "Ug".

That would be funny if things were slow, but midseason you would get harassed very badly for that kind of thread. I would start stuff like that in the Wash Post fan forum/blog just to start some shit and liven the forum up a bit during the preseason doldrums. Needless to say some of the topics were whack and I got totally harangued for them at times. Some of the posts of your thread would make for interesting reading though.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:44 AM   #22
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

how about not attacking other members of the forum? I simply think respect is something people on this forum need to work on. I know I use to have a huge problem with that in the past.

Also most people don't realize we are very lucky to have mods that tolerate dissent and arguments against themselves. Many boards don't even allow criticism. It just annoys me when people call mod's "nazi's" and especially when these guys are working their asses off for us for us.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:32 AM   #23
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
how about not attacking other members of the forum? I simply think respect is something people on this forum need to work on. I know I use to have a huge problem with that in the past.

Also most people don't realize we are very lucky to have mods that tolerate dissent and arguments against themselves. Many boards don't even allow criticism. It just annoys me when people call mod's "nazi's" and especially when these guys are working their asses off for us for us.
Good post. I must admit, that it is sometimes hard for me to be nice to people that I think are a-holes. If you are nice and respectful of other people, I will be nice to you regardless of your opinions. But, I suppose, as a mod, I should probably be courteous to a-holes and nice guys alike.

The rub is that it is often hard to be a mod (and be nice to everyone) and still clamp down on people that are causing trouble. Ironically, sometimes going after offenders can stir the pot and cause trouble.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:52 AM   #24
MTK
\m/

Quote:

It's probably not noticable since we don't make it public when someone is booted, but we're starting to toughen up. Any blatant disrespect of another member or mod and people are getting run right outta here, no questions asked.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:03 PM   #25
Sean Taylor
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Those indicate your reputation status. Green good. Red bad. Click on "User CP" for more details
QUEER EYE 4 the QUEER GUY IDEA!!
Sean Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:09 PM   #26
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Taylor View Post
QUEER EYE 4 the QUEER GUY IDEA!!
Exhibit A.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:25 PM   #27
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
I would like to start a new thread titled "Poor Redskins Fans" and "Don't get mad, get even" as its main message. What do you think?
I think that's been discussed in the Bill Belichick thread. The entire thread was a debate between the "You Babies" v. "He Has No Class" crowds. Perhaps my take on the above-quoted subject is exactly what you guys are talking about.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:35 PM   #28
mredskins
MVP

Here is the funny thing about this board or any other for that matter. When you first get on no one means anything to you so to shoot off your mouth means nothing but, as you stay on longer you envision each person on here and their personalities.

I read mainly don't post often but I have been coming to this site since 04 (didn't register right away).

There are a lot of good core people here. I have found a lot more then Redskins news on this site.

I think the majority of people that are a-holes on here are newbies and if they stuck it out they would see how great this site is.
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:40 PM   #29
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:

Being an asshole has it's place though (said the asshole).

But seriously, if people are cluttering the boards with duplicate threads or starting ridiculous threads, why wait for the mods? There should be a degree of vigilance, everyone should feel free to jump on someone for being a retard. There's an unspoken social aspect to this site, one where nobody wants to feel like the new kid at school who got made fun of for his haircut. In my opinion, mocking definitely has it's place. While the mods can lay down the law, we as members can still reinforce the message. We may not be able to ban or give official reprimands, but we can make people feel silly, that's for darn sure. It's a big site, especially during the season. If you see someone being a retard by starting dup threads or writing illegibly, let them know it. This also sends the message to the general public that we as members stand behind the mods; nobody likes dup threads.

Now, I'm NOT advocating personal attacks. I'm not saying jump all over their religious beliefs or something. Just give 'em what's coming to them. You want to act like a retard, you get treated like a retard. It's that simple.

So if people criticize the mods for being Nazi's, just release the hounds on 'em. The mods, as site administration, can't really come down on idiots the way they like to. When someone starts a dup thread, I get a sense that's almost palpable that Matty is THIS CLOSE to writing a post that says "LOOK AROUND BEFORE YOU POST, RETARD." But he can't do that, so he just links to the other thread and locks it. But believe me, he wants to say it. So, let a non-mod say it for him. He can live vicariously through us.

Don't mean to put words in your mouth, Matty, but that's the way I see it.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:43 PM   #30
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Being an asshole has it's place though (said the asshole).

But seriously, if people are cluttering the boards with duplicate threads or starting ridiculous threads, why wait for the mods? There should be a degree of vigilance, everyone should feel free to jump on someone for being a retard. There's an unspoken social aspect to this site, one where nobody wants to feel like the new kid at school who got made fun of for his haircut. In my opinion, mocking definitely has it's place. While the mods can lay down the law, we as members can still reinforce the message. We may not be able to ban or give official reprimands, but we can make people feel silly, that's for darn sure. It's a big site, especially during the season. If you see someone being a retard by starting dup threads or writing illegibly, let them know it. This also sends the message to the general public that we as members stand behind the mods; nobody likes dup threads.

Now, I'm NOT advocating personal attacks. I'm not saying jump all over their religious beliefs or something. Just give 'em what's coming to them. You want to act like a retard, you get treated like a retard. It's that simple.

So if people criticize the mods for being Nazi's, just release the hounds on 'em. The mods, as site administration, can't really come down on idiots the way they like to. When someone starts a dup thread, I get a sense that's almost palpable that Matty is THIS CLOSE to writing a post that says "LOOK AROUND BEFORE YOU POST, RETARD." But he can't do that, so he just links to the other thread and locks it. But believe me, he wants to say it. So, let a non-mod say it for him. He can live vicariously through us.

Don't mean to put words in your mouth, Matty, but that's the way I see it.
Keep in mind, the mods speak to offenders privately and we keep a record of who the repeat offenders are. And amongst us we discuss the site and its troublemakers on a nearly daily basis.