Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Offseason Roster Moves Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-30-2019, 02:26 PM   #1
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Offseason Roster Moves Thread

We should have a place to talk about roster moves that need to happen independent of the coaching/FO thread.

Here's my breakdown of what moves need to be made:

QB: Haskins is obviously solidified as the starter, do we re-up Keenum as the backup and/or McCoy? I like McCoy but I'm letting him walk. Possibly candidate to draft a backup in the later rounds if there's someone they like. Alex Smith should stay on the reserved/injured list for another year or possibly retires as a post-June 1st move?

RB: Guice will be back but between him, Bryce Love, and AP we're looking at an aging running back surrounded by two injury question marks. I'd bring in a late round rookie to compete with Love for the 3rd down back. I like Chris Thompson but he's probably leaving too.

WR: McLaurin, Harmon, and Steven Sims are safe. I didn't see enough out of Trey Quinn to bring him back so he can walk. If I'm Rivera, I bring in a solid possession guy to replace Harmon as the #2 and bump Harmon to #4 just so there's a veteran presence to help guide the young guns along (as well as give Haskins a solid veteran option to rely on).

TE: Arguably the #1 biggest hole on the roster. Reed should retire and Vernon Davis' contract is up, and Sprinkle is underwhelming. I would go after a veteran option through FA or trade, then draft another option to be the #2, cut Sprinkle and bring back Hale Hentges to fight for a roster spot.

O-line: The key decision here is do we bring back Trent for a year or two? Bringing him back allows us to postpone making a move for a year minimum. We should be able to resign Ereck Flowers to a decent deal, and assuming Chase Roullier returns the next big ? is do we resign Scherff to a big deal or let Wes Martin take his spot? I thought Martin looked decent in his limited action so maybe they decide to save money there. I'd like to replace Morgan Moses but there are bigger needs so that's not a priority. We also need to evaluate where we're going with Geron Christian. He obviously didn't impress enough to not bring in Donald Penn on the left side.

-----------------
Defense:

Assuming Rivera/Wilks brings the 4-3 with him this is where it gets tricky. Personnel decisions will have to be made based on what type of scheme they like to run. Just as a guess but let's say they want to beef up the d-line and move to a speedier LB corps that can cover well as well as get to the line quick to stop the run. If they do that we are looking at:

D-line: Allen, Payne, and Ioannidis are solidly entrenched as starters. I bump Tim Settle up to starting next to Payne on the interior and bring in another DT as a reserve. Not sure who the reserve ends should be but they'll make a move or two to shore that up.

LB: This is where it gets really tough. Do we stick with Ryan Anderson in the middle despite how underwhelming the D was this year? Do we bring back Kerrigan? Where does Sweat fit in? Do we move Sweat to end and push Jonathan Allen inside? Sweat is too much of a tweaner right now so he would need to bulk up to 280-300 to play line.

Maybe Rivera/Wilks stick with the 3-4 given the personnel we have. If we do that though I would hope they look at drafting a mike who could replace Ryan Anderson as d-playcaller. We haven't had a great mike since Fletcher and everybody knows middle linebacker is basically the qb of the D. Anderson can still play the other mike spot. Reuben Foster may or may not be good but with his history I'm not counting on him to play 16 games next year.

Secondary: More incoming changes here although I'm hopeful with Wilks background maybe these guys just need some coaching up. Norman should be gone because the salary is not worth the production. Dunbar will be back at 1 corner, maybe Fabian Moreau solidifies the other outside job and Jimmy Moreland locks up the slot corner. Obviously Landon Collins will be back at SS but I'm definitely looking at replacing Nicholson at free.

P/K/LS: Good to see Tress Way get rewarded with an extension, I like Hopkins and Sundberg has been fine as LS.

-------------------
The draft:
If the Bengals are stupid enough to pass on Joe Burrow I'm selling the #2 to the highest bidder. If he goes #1 and Chase Young declares Young is the heavy favorite. If Young doesn't declare we have several options, including that LT to replace Trent.

2-3 rounds: No 2nd rounder. 3rd-7th BPA.

A summary of our current picks:
Round 1: Washington
Round 2: None
Round 3: Washington
Round 4: Washington
Round 5: Washington
Round 6: None
Round 7: Washington, Denver
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote