B 93 68.89%
C 15 11.11%
D 1 0.74%
F 2 1.48%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #166
RGIII

Re: Draft wrap-up 2013

Uh, Cult'. That prediction sucks big time. All of these guys have potential.
RGIII is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #167
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGIII View Post
Looked like Cult put a lot of work into it, I'd hardly say it "sucked". I feel like the Chris Thompson pick sucked, for reasons Cult listed. But I also thought Adrian Peterson's injury history would be an issue.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #168
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGIII View Post
What a thought out and detailed response. All of these guys have potential, Mayock better save his pennies cause analysis like that is gold! You´re gonna be a star kid!!!

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:39 AM   #169
donofriose
The Starter

The good thing is the Redskins got two safeties out of this draft with starting potential. So hopefully one of them pans out.

There is a reason they both fell, one from late 2nd/early third to the middle of the 4th. And one all the way to the 6th. Both were inconsistent, Thomas plays terrible the first half at Oregon, then in the second half recovers a fumble, gets a sack and forces a fumble and from what I saw played pretty well the remainder of the game.

Rambo gets owned by South Carolina, just watch the second play of the game, and at Florida misses a lot of tackles, even Driskel, who is a good athlete but not elite (He definitively is not Kaepernick) got by him, but then gets a pick and makes a couple of solid tackles and ends up playing well.

They were both all-americans at one point so I am just hoping that at least one of them ends up being a starter, I am more inclined to believe that Thomas will end up being the potential starter just because of where they were drafted. There are not many safeties that are selected in the 6th or 7th round that end up making it in the NFL.

But I do not think there will be three starting rookies in the Redskins secondary this upcoming season, unless of course there are a couple of unseen injuries.
donofriose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #170
vallin21
The Starter

What round Rambo was taken in is irrelevant. The kid can play. He has a nose for the ball and is an excellent deep centerfield FS ballhawk with great range. Rambo never fell in the draft for his play, he fell do character concerns. He's a better tackler than most give him credit for, he forces turnovers and he made an impact everygame when playing at UGA in the SEC. The game @ Florida Rambo missed just 1 tackle which was the Driskel 16 yard run. Otherwise He had a solid game.

What round you're drafted does not indicate playing time. The thing I like about Shanny is that he's for competition. No spot is secure. The best players play whether that's an undrafted FA or a 6th round pick. Bad NFL organizations have a systematic hierarchy that base starting and PT on what round a player's drafted or large their salary is.

I'm not a big fan of Phillip Thomas. He reminds me of a faster version of Chris Horton who's better in coverage. He's too inconsistent as a tackler. That said if Thomas can move to SS; I think that's where he's better suited to play.

Bottom line; it's ignorant to say and determine a player can't contribute because of where he was drafted or can't start because he's a rookie, Especially in April.
vallin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:01 AM   #171
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

People need to stop worrying about trying to predict the individual performances of a player and focus on the team performance. How the overall team improves from a predictable small role a 4-7 rounder can fill. Sure an Alfmo happens once in ten years for a team, but he is not the rule. They are depth guys who can impact special teams, and sub packages. After a couple years maybe they blossem into a starter.

Even in our 2nd round pick this year. Amerson probably not gonna start, but lets not kill the guy right off the bat because of that.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #172
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallin21 View Post
What round Rambo was taken in is irrelevant. The kid can play. He has a nose for the ball and is an excellent deep centerfield FS ballhawk with great range. Rambo never fell in the draft for his play, he fell do character concerns. He's a better tackler than most give him credit for, he forces turnovers and he made an impact everygame when playing at UGA in the SEC. The game @ Florida Rambo missed just 1 tackle which was the Driskel 16 yard run. Otherwise He had a solid game.

What round you're drafted does not indicate playing time. The thing I like about Shanny is that he's for competition. No spot is secure. The best players play whether that's an undrafted FA or a 6th round pick. Bad NFL organizations have a systematic hierarchy that base starting and PT on what round a player's drafted or large their salary is.

I'm not a big fan of Phillip Thomas. He reminds me of a faster version of Chris Horton who's better in coverage. He's too inconsistent as a tackler. That said if Thomas can move to SS; I think that's where he's better suited to play.

Bottom line; it's ignorant to say and determine a player can't contribute because of where he was drafted or can't start because he's a rookie, Especially in April.
I get what you are saying, but there is some truth to the fact that for a player to get to the 6th round, most teams will have passed on him 3-5 times, or more. Not that they can't contribute, many do, but to proclaim him a starter off the top speaks as much to a team's current talent as it does the drafted player's abilities. A 6th rounder should not be able to come in, and from the get go be a better player then the previous year's starting 11 defensive players.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #173
donofriose
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallin21 View Post

I like Rambo, and I love where he was drafted, but I was just saying if I had to pick one I am choosing Thomas. Also as far as being a ballhawk, Mayock called Phillip Thomas the best ballhawking safety in the draft, and a starting free safety in the NFL. He did not even mention Rambo when talking about ballhawking safeties. You usually do not fall all the way to the 6th round solely due to drug suspensions, there is obviously something else going on. But I loved the pick anyway because you got some one with a 3rd round value, a potential starter... in the 6th.
He missed at least three tackles at Florida, one on a screen pass to Gillislee (you can make the argument that he took a terrible angle but in the end he was there, Gillislee cut in and got an additional 15 yards), he also missed one on a reverse. He actually had a great game with a game saving fumble recovery at the end. I was just nitpicking because a lot of people seem to be nitpicking Thomas, but not Rambo.

In the end I love both picks, especially where they were picked and I think one of them will pan out. Its obviously impossible to say for sure which one but my money is on Thomas.
donofriose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #174
vallin21
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I get what you are saying, but there is some truth to the fact that for a player to get to the 6th round, most teams will have passed on him 3-5 times, or more. Not that they can't contribute, many do, but to proclaim him a starter off the top speaks as much to a team's current talent as it does the drafted player's abilities. A 6th rounder should not be able to come in, and from the get go be a better player then the previous year's starting 11 defensive players.
I agree, I'm not saying a rookie late draft pick will start, but lets not say they have NO chance to start 3 months before training camp. IMO its to early to determine roster projections. My first post was responding to the poster above me.
vallin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #175
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Notable draft pick jersey numbers:

No sign of our new players' numbers yet.

Eric Fisher #72 Chiefs
Tavon Austin #11 Rams
Geno Smith #7 Jets (#12 not available)
Kevin Miniter #51 Cards
Honey Badger #32 Cards
Datone Jones #95 Packers
DJ Fluker #71 Chargers
Manti Te'o #51 Chargers
Demond Turfant #21 Falcons (you mean it's not retired?)
Matt Elam #31 Ravens

Old 04-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #176
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Interesting picture. Ignore the horrendous Eagles photoshop. They're NOT getting white facemasks. Most of the players look like bobbleheads. Check out Eric Fisher.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #177
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post

Eric Fisher #72 Chiefs
Tavon Austin #11 Rams
Kevin Miniter #51 Cards
Honey Badger #32 Cards
Datone Jones #95 Packers
DJ Fluker #71 Chargers
Manti Te'o #51 Chargers
Matt Elam #31 Ravens

If I had to guess, Amerson gets 27, Thomas 22, Rambo 38, Thompson 34, Jenkins 90, Jamison 25, Reed 86

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #178
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post

Eric Fisher #72 Chiefs
Tavon Austin #11 Rams
Kevin Miniter #51 Cards
Honey Badger #32 Cards
Datone Jones #95 Packers
DJ Fluker #71 Chargers
Manti Te'o #51 Chargers
Matt Elam #31 Ravens

Minnesota should retire #84 though.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:01 AM   #179
MTK
\m/

So are most higher on Rambo than Thomas?
Old 04-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #180
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
So are most higher on Rambo than Thomas?
It seems that way and I don't get why. I am high on both of them and feel they both will start, but I like Thomas a bit better.