Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Should we be drafting Tua???

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Should the Redskins take Tua #2 overall?
Yes 7 15.56%
No 38 84.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2020, 08:35 AM   #226
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Should we be drafting Tua???

Tua has a ton of talent, his recent serious injuries in the last 22 month disqualifies him as the selection for our pick.

We have the 2nd pick and CY is the top prospect consensus on most teams boards and experts rankings. You stick to the board and if he falls to #2 you draft him.

The Tau conversation is only relevant if Cincy goes CY at one.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-10-2020, 08:43 AM   #227
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Dilfer was saying Tua was special before he ever took a snap at Bama. He runs that elite QB competition that's for the top high school QB's. He's obviously been a NFL Qb for a long time. We're not talking about some scrub off the street.

I just go back to that national championship game he came off the bench as a freshman. Not many guys can do what he did under that kind of pressure.

Off topic but I'm not that impressed with Trevor Lawrence. He doesn't throw the ball with the pin point accuracy that Tua or Burrow does.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:52 AM   #228
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Tua has a ton of talent, his recent serious injuries in the last 22 month disqualifies him as the selection for our pick.

We have the 2nd pick and CY is the top prospect consensus on most teams boards and experts rankings. You stick to the board and if he falls to #2 you draft him.

If Cincy were to do that out of a clear blue sky the draft would get crazy fast. Don't you think that any trade for the first or second pick would have to be >90% worked out before draft day due to its import and complexity?
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:01 AM   #229
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
If Cincy were to do that out of a clear blue sky the draft would get crazy fast. Don't you think that any trade for the first or second pick would have to be >90% worked out before draft day due to its import and complexity?
Not at all. Most teams have those scenarios ready and I would expect contingency plans for multiple scenarios. Teams will probably talk before the draft more this year just to get some prework done if some scenarios open themselves up.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:02 AM   #230
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
If Cincy were to do that out of a clear blue sky the draft would get crazy fast. Don't you think that any trade for the first or second pick would have to be >90% worked out before draft day due to its complexity?
Yes, which is why I don't see Cincy or us trading down. Lions are publicly discussing trading their pick, which makes sense even if they do want to take Okudah; sound out the market to see what the best deal is. Advertising that #3 is on offer certainly sniffs of them avoiding drafting Tua.

If we or Cincy were even semi serious about trading down we'd have heard the same. Maybe both teams are playing chicken to see who blinks first and then offering up the top 2 picks once the market for #3, #2 and then #1 is set. But I'd see it more likely that Cincy would lead out on the basis that if you leave it too late, the deals may no longer be there when you offer #1 or #2, because its already been done for #3.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:27 AM   #231
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Dilfer was saying Tua was special before he ever took a snap at Bama. He runs that elite QB competition that's for the top high school QB's. He's obviously been a NFL Qb for a long time. We're not talking about some scrub off the street.

I just go back to that national championship game he came off the bench as a freshman. Not many guys can do what he did under that kind of pressure.

Off topic but I'm not that impressed with Trevor Lawrence. He doesn't throw the ball with the pin point accuracy that Tua or Burrow does.
Tua on film is as good of a passer as anyone coming out of college.. He's so smart , quick release , vision all that. Which is why I'm a huge fan of his.. I like Dwayne but as far as the two QBs there is no comparison.. Now the same was said about Wentz/Dak but Dak is reliable, if Tua is not then give me Haskins all day
Old 04-10-2020, 10:36 AM   #232
Number44
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post

Yes. Draft Chase Young and don't look back.

If Cincy takes CY or trades the pick to a team that takes CY, there's bound to be teams willing to offer a bundle of picks to get Burrow (or Tua), so you trade down.

Either way, I don't think Tua is the way to go for the Redskins.
Number44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:50 AM   #233
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

If the Bengals make the right choice and take the best player (Young), we should trade down and hope Okudah or Simmons is still available. If not, select the best available OT.
sdskinsfan2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:00 PM   #234
SunnySide
Playmaker

Rivera was asked specifically about trading the second overall choice.

Young, though, likely won’t be available if Washington trades the pick.

“If you’re going to make a trade and you’re going to go back, that guy you’re going to take at that spot has to be able to make the kind of impact you need to validate missing an opportunity to take a player that’s a high-impact guy,” Rivera said. “In other words, if you’re going to pass up Player A and you go back, and you’re going to take Player D, Player D has to be equal to Player A because if Player A is going to play for you for 10 years and Player D may not, then did you really get value or did you just get a whole bunch of picks? You’ve got to be able to sit there and say that the next guy that I’m going to take is going to be that high-impact guy, and that’s what I’m looking for. That’s what I believe we need is we need a guy that’s going to come in and really change our football team. To me, there’s a few guys on that board that are those kind of players.”​​​

Young is one of those impact players that Rivera referenced without calling the Ohio State edge rusher by name. Gil Brandt of NFL Media calls Young “the surest pick in the first round.”

Young had 16.5 sacks and six forced fumbles last season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-in-its-sight/

RR seems to value 1 high impact guy vs multiple draft picks.

I like it.

Skins last all pro ... punter Matt Turk in 1996.

We are the only team without an All Pro named in the last decade.

I want elite, game changing talent. Having a Ryan Kerrigan or Orakpo or Murphy or Preston Smith .. its nice. They are nice players. Kerrigan can take over the right side of an O line against a depth RT and its great. I want a guy who can take over the LT 8-10 games a year.
Old 04-10-2020, 12:03 PM   #235
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Rivera was asked specifically about trading the second overall choice.

Young, though, likely won’t be available if Washington trades the pick.

“If you’re going to make a trade and you’re going to go back, that guy you’re going to take at that spot has to be able to make the kind of impact you need to validate missing an opportunity to take a player that’s a high-impact guy,” Rivera said. “In other words, if you’re going to pass up Player A and you go back, and you’re going to take Player D, Player D has to be equal to Player A because if Player A is going to play for you for 10 years and Player D may not, then did you really get value or did you just get a whole bunch of picks? You’ve got to be able to sit there and say that the next guy that I’m going to take is going to be that high-impact guy, and that’s what I’m looking for. That’s what I believe we need is we need a guy that’s going to come in and really change our football team. To me, there’s a few guys on that board that are those kind of players.”​​​

Young is one of those impact players that Rivera referenced without calling the Ohio State edge rusher by name. Gil Brandt of NFL Media calls Young “the surest pick in the first round.”

Young had 16.5 sacks and six forced fumbles last season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-in-its-sight/

RR seems to value 1 high impact guy vs multiple draft picks.

I like it.

Skins last all pro ... punter Matt Turk in 1996.

We are the only team without an All Pro named in the last decade.

I want elite, game changing talent. Having a Ryan Kerrigan or Orakpo or Murphy or Preston Smith .. its nice. They are nice players. Kerrigan can take over the right side of an O line against a depth RT and its great. I want a guy who can take over the LT 8-10 games a year.
Can I get an Amen!??
sdskinsfan2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:18 PM   #236
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Can I get an Amen!??
I've always been pro drafting Young. Amen brother. My Tua argument was and always will be if you have a chance to draft a true franchise QB then you do it, regardless of whether you have someone like Young on the table. If Tua did not have all the injuries then I'd say take him and trade DH. End of discussion. But that is not the case.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:23 PM   #237
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
I've always been pro drafting Young. Amen brother. My Tua argument was and always will be if you have a chance to draft a true franchise QB then you do it, regardless of whether you have someone like Young on the table. If Tua did not have all the injuries then I'd say take him and trade DH. End of discussion. But that is not the case.
That's all I was saying as well, Tua is the better QB it's really the truth but his injury past is a big deal so I'm all for Young who is a great player! I'm happy either way and even if we trade I'm cool with that. The team is rebuilding clearly.
Old 04-10-2020, 12:25 PM   #238
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
HOF QB > HOF pass rusher > HOF LT ... I wonder what the 4th best position would be. HOF CB or HOF LB?

10 years of Kuechly or 10 years of Ramsey? Give me the HOF LB.

(just throwing 2 names out there, love Kuechly but not sure if his shortened career is HOF worthy and Ramsey has quieted down/still lots of years left)
Old 04-10-2020, 12:57 PM   #239
AnonEmouse
The Starter

If you offered me Ray Lewis or Deion Sanders, I'd take Sanders
If you offered me Brian Urlacher or Darrell Green, I'd take Green

Not saying that would be everyone's choice, but that would be mine.

In any case in this instance, I'd honestly say I think CY has a better chance of HoF status than TT right now. I can just see him being another Andrew Luck and retired in 5-7 years.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 01:21 PM   #240
Meks
Pro Bowl

no.
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote