Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Skins getting heat again over name issue

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Thoughts on the pending Redskins name change?
It’s time, the name is offensive 4 9.52%
I’m tired of hearing about it so change it 17 40.48%
Keep the name at all costs 16 38.10%
No strong opinion either way 5 11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2020, 10:14 AM   #1
MTK
\m/

Skins getting heat again over name issue

Washington franchise should change its name now

Advertisements
Old 06-03-2020, 10:17 AM   #2
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Skins getting heat again over name issue

Yeah it was all over twitter due to their BLM Post... I've said this for a while but eventually they will cave in and change to warriors or something
Old 06-03-2020, 10:18 AM   #3
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Also Florio is a bitch, he has hated the skins for years.. Dan must have banged his girl or something.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:30 AM   #4
MTK
\m/

I've tried 3 times now to get this question through but they won't approve it lol

"When someone says the word Redskins these days what’s your first thought? Racial slur or the football team in DC?"
Old 06-03-2020, 10:50 AM   #5
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I've tried 3 times now to get this question through but they won't approve it lol

"When someone says the word Redskins these days what’s your first thought? Racial slur or the football team in DC?"
exactly, and they wont approve because they know their narrative is false
Old 06-03-2020, 11:05 AM   #6
MTK
\m/

But a comment that said "Florio is right" gets approved

He's such a dweeb
Old 06-03-2020, 11:17 AM   #7
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

I would even say racial slur isn't even in my top three answer choices but what do I know I am just an apologist
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:18 AM   #8
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post

Do native americans call themselves redskins? have they ever called themselves redskins?

I used to be mildly defending the name/indifferent .... now I think it should be changed.

I understand
- Dan Snyder and Wash Po found majority native americans dont find it offensive - theres a native american high school with "redskins" as their mascot
- our image of the chief is done with respect and honor, was designed by a native american and is nothing like the cleveland indians charicture.

But it was a term invented and used by the white man to refer to native americans. No its not the worst slur out there or in the history of time .. but it was a label originating and used by the white man.

Id put it up there with people referring to a black person as "blackie" back in the day. Yeah black people were called worse back then and "blackie" seems mild compared to it .... but its still a term originating from white men to label others, in a mildy dismissive term.

I just started playing Red Dead Redemption 2 and they used the words "redskins" and "blackies" and it had a dismissive context to the use, not one honoring them.

I vote to change the name, for what ever that is worth ... which is nada.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:18 PM   #9
Burgold
Special Teams

Ok,here we go again,first off Native Americans did refer to themselves as Redskins or Redmen as far back as the-1700's just as I and all Black persons once called ourselves-Negro which is the Spanish word for Black..it is the bastardization of the name that's insulting,now when the racist owner of the team[George Preston Marshall]moved the team here he kept the name for two reasons-he could in those days,he could care less.We have to remember that here was a man who refused to have an African American on his team until Morris Udall[Secretary Of The Interior]threatened to not let him use D.C.Stadium until he have a Black player..I'm getting long winded here but as a Black man if the team was called-The Washington Negroes-it wouldn't fly too well today,and Redskins shouldn't either!
Burgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:00 PM   #10
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

I can totally see points on both sides, but with the vast majority of that one study (I don't know how expansive it was) saying that Native Americans aren't offended by it: what if they get offended if they "did" change it? I believe during the same study, many Native Americans said they took it something of honor and would be offended if they DID change the name.

ESPECIALLY now, this type of thing is incredibly challenging, but in the end, wouldn't it/shouldn't it be there voice that would decide something like this?

Last edited by TheMalcolmConnection; 06-03-2020 at 03:24 PM.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:55 PM   #11
mredskins
MVP

I think it be a great time for Dan to change the name. I actually like the name Washington Warriors much more.
Old 06-03-2020, 04:02 PM   #12
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Bunk. Just before camps open is the slowest news time of the year in football. Writers will write about anything. Florio using current climate as a catalyst.

Look gents, every May and June like clockwork, Florio of some other writer does an article on how the teams name is detrimental to the brand and should be changed. It happened lasts summer, it happened the summer before that. And I will bet you that this time next year it happens again.

But once July gets here, the articles stop and there are better things to discuss in football than this.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:53 PM   #13
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

If you go back 100 years when blatant racism against any minority was all over the place in print media and in Hollywood, the term redskin was rarely used to refer to Native Americans. I have never heard another human utter that term in my presence and I have been around many people long since passed that racial epithets were part of their daily language. For that reason I don't understand the furor over the name. I think they should complain about how they were portrayed in TV shows and movies. Until the last couple decades they were portrayed by white people with make up and made out to be savages of very little intelligence.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:06 PM   #14
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I think it be a great time for Dan to change the name. I actually like the name Washington Warriors much more.
I don't want to have the same team name as another major sports team. If anything, find a Native American tribe that would like for or support the team using it, and use that name.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:24 PM   #15
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
I don't want to have the same team name as another major sports team. If anything, find a Native American tribe that would like for or support the team using it, and use that name.
How about Cherokees? About a thousand or so live a couple hundred miles down the road from DC.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote