Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

New Football League ?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-11-2019, 10:17 AM   #16
metalskins
The Starter

Re: New Football League ?

I only got to see a half, but really enjoyed what I saw. I would watch this over the NBA any day of the week.

Advertisements
Old 02-11-2019, 10:20 AM   #17
MTK
\m/

Anyone else not even miss kickoffs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #18
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post

Most of the time they are either touchbacks or returned 5-10 yards either side of the 25 yard line, rarely is there any excitement involved. Usually when there is a decent return it gets called back for a penalty.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:49 AM   #19
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalskins View Post
I only got to see a half, but really enjoyed what I saw. I would watch this over the NBA any day of the week.
Same here, like with college basketball, I don't start watching until getting close to the end of the regular season.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:08 AM   #20
Redskins247
Impact Rookie

Quote:

Not at all. And I definitely noticed how quicker the games moved. Had a game on last night while fixing dinner, so just casually watching...and I couldn't believe how much of the game I was missing. That 20 second play clock makes a difference.
Redskins247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:36 AM   #21
metalskins
The Starter

Quote:

The game I was watching didn't have a lot of scoring until the end, but you're right, I didn't even notice there wasn't a kick off. I just thought it had happened during the commercial.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:27 PM   #22
kct1975
The Starter

Personally I didn't get a chance to see the games, but from the highlights it looked interesting.

I will definitely try to catch a game or two.

As for preferring the AAF over the NBA...Yes!

I mostly ignore the NBA since it has become all about the Power Teams and the Start Players.

I mean almost everyone knows already that Golden State will be the NBA Champs again...so why even watch the games.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2019, 04:08 PM   #23
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
The reason the NFL wont do it is because they already have a farm system (college) that develops NFL talent free of charge. The owners aren't going to pay for something they already get for free.

I watched more of the AAF than I thought I would and enjoyed it. I will keep watching.
This. NFL already tried their version of a farm system in NFL Europe. Right now, the only affiliation with AAL is NFL Network showing a few games.

But do not think for a minute that any AAL player extended an offer to attend an NFL training camp, that said player would respectfully decline because they are in the AAL.

I liked what I saw last weekend. But this league is going to have a substantial player turnover. Because some will go to NFL camps, some might make NFL rosters, some might get injured in camp.

Then we get the XFL (redux) starting next year. Talent pool going to be thin.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:26 PM   #24
Back2RFK
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins247 View Post
Not at all. And I definitely noticed how quicker the games moved. Had a game on last night while fixing dinner, so just casually watching...and I couldn't believe how much of the game I was missing. That 20 second play clock makes a difference.
When your audience is only about 30 people calling plays becomes a lot easier.
Back2RFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:05 PM   #25
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
This. NFL already tried their version of a farm system in NFL Europe. Right now, the only affiliation with AAL is NFL Network showing a few games.

But do not think for a minute that any AAL player extended an offer to attend an NFL training camp, that said player would respectfully decline because they are in the AAL.

I liked what I saw last weekend. But this league is going to have a substantial player turnover. Because some will go to NFL camps, some might make NFL rosters, some might get injured in camp.

Then we get the XFL (redux) starting next year. Talent pool going to be thin.
Yeah but a US based farm system, especially if each team was tied to an NFL team, would yield so much more interest and money.
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:12 PM   #26
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
The reason the NFL wont do it is because they already have a farm system (college) that develops NFL talent free of charge. The owners aren't going to pay for something they already get for free.

I watched more of the AAF than I thought I would and enjoyed it. I will keep watching.
I disagree that there would be any long term cost to owners. Yes there would be an up front cost, but as much interest as there would be for tickets, merch and advertising, this would be a gold mine for the NFL to tap into. They are always looking to pad profits and find new revenue streams.

And I’m not convinced the NCAA is a great farm system. So many players come out and are not prepared for the pro game, I see this as being a level between collegiate and pro to refine and rehabilitate injured players. This could help prevent player skill drop off. When a player gets hurt, they get put on DL and you bring up a temporary replacement who has been playing in the semi-pro league and is ready to go. With the limits put on teams by the CBa, back ups don’t get the reps they need to be competitive.
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:32 PM   #27
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

The NFL backs the AAF. It wants it to succeed

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2019, 02:25 AM   #28
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

I get to go watch live professional football this weekend at a reasonable price. I'm looking forward to it. Go Fleet!
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:08 AM   #29
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
I disagree that there would be any long term cost to owners. Yes there would be an up front cost, but as much interest as there would be for tickets, merch and advertising, this would be a gold mine for the NFL to tap into. They are always looking to pad profits and find new revenue streams.

And I’m not convinced the NCAA is a great farm system. So many players come out and are not prepared for the pro game, I see this as being a level between collegiate and pro to refine and rehabilitate injured players. This could help prevent player skill drop off. When a player gets hurt, they get put on DL and you bring up a temporary replacement who has been playing in the semi-pro league and is ready to go. With the limits put on teams by the CBa, back ups don’t get the reps they need to be competitive.
Of course there would be long term cost. If each team had only one farm team they have to pay salary for 50+ players, all the coaching and training staff, and travel costs. Doubling what they pay now. If it was set up like minor league baseball then the local ownership group would handle all the stadium operations. The money would only come from any television revenue these games would bring in and I'm not sure the networks would drop college football for the NFL minor league.

I agree with you, college isn't a very good farm system. The colleges are focused on winning rather than player development. In minor league baseball and hockey the players are assets to the team and are trying to be developed for the big team. This type of farm system would be a much better deal for the players than college.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:14 AM   #30
Redskins247
Impact Rookie

The fact that some of these games that were on at the same time as NBA games and were doing better tv numbers have to raise some eyebrows. Big TV money could be there...just a matter of how much. Who's to say someone like Amazon, Youtube, or Netflix doesn't jump in to air the league exclusively? In this time frame, they're only competing with basketball and hockey...and it's over right after the draft so it won't compete with baseball either. I believe there is potential for this league to work out.
Redskins247 is offline   Reply With Quote