Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

WFT Quarterback Thread - Post SEASON 2021

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-28-2021, 04:51 AM   #1456
Scalper

Re: WFT Quarterback Thread - Post SEASON 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Houston has come out and said once again they will not trade Watson... He of course says he will never play there again..

Someone will budge come April
It won't be Houston's ownership. They'll let him sit and waste a year of his prime. Then sue him into bankruptcy. He doesn't play all year, he is functionally bankrupt from fines and lawsuit to recover bonus. One party holds all the power, and it is not Watson, especially because Houston ownership could care less about public opinion.
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-28-2021, 04:53 AM   #1457
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
WaY tO gO nEgAtIvE nAnCY
I'm a very positive person.
Reality is reality.
Stating it isn't negativity.
Old 02-28-2021, 04:56 AM   #1458
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Cam is definitely all those things yet in the 9 years RR had one of the best QBs in the league he only made the playoffs 4 times and 2 of those were one and done. Cam came along about 10 years too early. Had Cam come along now with coaches who know how to scheme and game plan for the skill set a dynamic QB like Cam brings to the table it would be Mahommes only 2 inches and 15 lbs heavier.

I do agree DS also plays a role in players hesitating to come here. Even if a QB wanted to come here and play, with how unstable this organization has been it seems like a gamble these QBs aren't willing to take.
Newton never learned to read Ds at advanced level and is horribly inaccurate, especially on deep balls. All the scheming in the world won't make him an accurate passer. But the real problem is his character. You never win the big one with a guy like that at QB, character-wise. Also, he has been incredibly injury prone. Imagine that, a running QB hurt all the time. What a shocker. Running QBs a fad. Pocket passers are what last and win year in and year out.
Old 02-28-2021, 05:05 AM   #1459
Scalper

Quote:
I think he has to cave eventually and it's not just about the $ I think his reputation could be tarnished if he sits out. Will show a lack of leadership big time.
Nah. Public on his side, given what a clownshow Houston was and is. O'Brien especially. All about the money. Watson can't afford to sit, Houston can afford to sit him. Houston's going to look him right in the eyes and basically say f-you. Sit this year, we still have you under contract 4 more years (team has option for 2 more years after initial 4). So then come back and sit next year, we still have you under contract 4 more years. Do it until you're 53 if you want. We'll fine you almost $4M a year, and sue you for $5.4M a year bonus money. Keep in mind, Watson received a $27M bonus but paid well over 50% tax on it with taxes and agent fees. He can't get that tax money back. Nor the agent fees. So when Houston sues him for $5.4, its really like suing him for $10.8. Two years of having to give bonus money back, $10.8M, is $20.6 pretax, conservatively, and he's bankrupt. He received $30M or so last year including signing bonus, $15M after taxes, he's easily blown $5M. I'm stunned if his liquid net worth is more than $5M, but let's say $10M. He'll be working at McDonald's to pay back the bonus money if he doesn't play. He can talk about principles all he wants, once the bling starts to go away. . .
Old 02-28-2021, 07:22 AM   #1460
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalper View Post
It won't be Houston's ownership. They'll let him sit and waste a year of his prime. Then sue him into bankruptcy. He doesn't play all year, he is functionally bankrupt from fines and lawsuit to recover bonus. One party holds all the power, and it is not Watson, especially because Houston ownership could care less about public opinion.
Houston doesnt have recourse to sue. The CBA specifies the fines and salary loss. You aren't bankrupting Watson any more than we bankrupted TW. If Houston doesn't trade him he will pretty assuredly sit out this year, or come back in week 11 to ensure the contract year doesnt toll but find a reaaon to not suit up.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:53 AM   #1461
OnceWeWereKings
The Starter

Quote:
Reality is reality.
Someones opinion doesn't = reality.
Thats called perspective. Huge difference.
And that's just the reality of it.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:55 AM   #1462
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceWeWereKings View Post
Someones opinion doesn't = reality.

Thats called perspective. Huge difference.

And that's just the reality of it.

CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:48 PM   #1463
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Houston doesnt have recourse to sue. The CBA specifies the fines and salary loss. You aren't bankrupting Watson any more than we bankrupted TW. If Houston doesn't trade him he will pretty assuredly sit out this year, or come back in week 11 to ensure the contract year doesnt toll but find a reaaon to not suit up.

Saw an article the other day that mentioned if covid continues to persist, the NFL might let players opt out for the year again for health or safety reasons. If that happens Watson definitely has the advantage.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:00 PM   #1464
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Saw an article the other day that mentioned if covid continues to persist, the NFL might let players opt out for the year again for health or safety reasons. If that happens Watson definitely has the advantage.
Does that just put their contract "on pause"? I'm not familiar with how that works for the team or the player.

If he opts out due to COVID, can they still trade him, or do they just start over next offseason?
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 01:51 PM   #1465
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

If I'm the Texans I'm on the phone with the Jets to work out a deal, then I'm picking Wilson at No. 2 and moving on with our lives.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 02:40 PM   #1466
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
If I'm the Texans I'm on the phone with the Jets to work out a deal, then I'm picking Wilson at No. 2 and moving on with our lives.
I hear ya. But if I'm the Jets, I'm taking Wilson at No. 2, trading Darnold to the highest bidder, and drafting at least 6 more players out of the top 100.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:51 PM   #1467
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:
Reality is reality.
If you haven’t heard of alternative reality, it’s because you’re in one...
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:53 PM   #1468
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Yeah but that doesn’t count toward an accrued year on your contract does it? Wouldn’t that start him off the following year exactly where he is now from a contract stand point?
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 05:47 AM   #1469
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
Yeah but that doesn’t count toward an accrued year on your contract does it? Wouldn’t that start him off the following year exactly where he is now from a contract stand point?
I don't think he's worried about the contract, at some point players just want out. His situation reminds me of Trent Williams', i.e. he won't care if he loses a year's salary because wherever he ends up he'll still be getting paid.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:45 AM   #1470
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
They were 5-1 with a one legged old Alex Smith... The reason they sucked in the beginning was 100% all on Haskins. Also they swept Dallas and Philly and deserved the division. Yeah it sucked but someone had to win it and they did, it's like our fanbase will never be satisfied even after YEARS of suck, I'm happy as hell to make the playoffs.
I said in a previous post that any success this team had was directly related to AS at QB. If AS doesn't come back this is a 2 or 3 win team.

I'm also happy that they made the playoffs but I'm not letting a playoff appearance blind me to the fact that this team wasn't that good. Looking back at WFT's record the only team they beat only 1 team with a winning record.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote