All I want for Christmas is a nsw Front Office

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-10-2018, 08:31 PM   #46
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Re: All I want for Christmas is a nsw Front Office

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
The biggest reason to clean house, including Smith, is he’s yet another one of these people that Bruce Allen knows, so he went with what was comfortable. He knew AJ Smith and AJ said hey give my son a shot.

I want all sense of cronyism gone from Redskins Park. I want a culture of what you know, not who you know. I don’t like how everyone is familiar with everyone, it breeds a culture of comfort. There are very good candidates out there, we just need to look.
There was a prevailing sense of cronyism with Kyle as the OC.

He went on to coordinate the best offense in the NFL in a Superbowl a few years later.

If Smith is a true talent, and none of us know if he truly is, it doesn't seem smart to get rid of him just because his dad knew Bruce.

If true meritocracy is the goal, and I think that's what most favor, then that's not it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Advertisements
Old 12-10-2018, 09:01 PM   #47
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYoungJelly View Post
There was a prevailing sense of cronyism with Kyle as the OC.

He went on to coordinate the best offense in the NFL in a Superbowl a few years later.

If Smith is a true talent, and none of us know if he truly is, it doesn't seem smart to get rid of him just because his dad knew Bruce.

If true meritocracy is the goal, and I think that's what most favor, then that's not it.

Fine, then make the case why Smith is a better candidate than Joe Douglas or several others out there. Because I’m not seeing it. And because I’m not seeing it, I’m left with the assumption that he’s riding his father’s coat tails. Can you explain to me why AJ Smith is more qualified and accomplished than the alternatives?
Old 12-10-2018, 09:27 PM   #48
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Fine, then make the case why Smith is a better candidate than Joe Douglas or several others out there. Because I’m not seeing it. And because I’m not seeing it, I’m left with the assumption that he’s riding his father’s coat tails. Can you explain to me why AJ Smith is more qualified and accomplished than the alternatives?
Would this do?

Smith ran the 2018 draft though, and that is the plan for the future.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...le-smith%3famp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ric...598e5.amp.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/redskin...s-next-gm/amp/

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:30 PM   #49
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:
I don't know if he is better or not and neither do you because it's impossible for casual fans on the couch to know this type of thing.

Douglas has a fantastic resume and Philly values him by the way they pay him and prevent him interviewing.

This doesn't mean Kyle Smith isn't just as good if not better. We can't know.

It would take an insider scouring their scouting reports and draft grades to truly know.

I totally get your preference for Douglas. He is more of a known commodity and feels like the safer choice.

Behind the scenes, Smith maybe compiling the best scouting reports the world has ever seen. He may not be, but the people in a position to know seems too think he hangs the moon.

I guess we'll see.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:33 PM   #50
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Worked with the Redskins since 2010 starting as an intern, and yeah the Redskins have been a model of draft success, lol. Vs Joe Douglas who worked under Ozzie Newsome for 15 years, and was part of Ravens and Eagles super bowl teams.

Saying they’re in the same class is laughably ignorant of the talent pool available in the 31 other teams.

Smith can stay with a role in the scouting dept. We can do better at the GM spot.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:36 PM   #51
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:
Worked with the Redskins since 2010 starting as an intern, and yeah the Redskins have been a model of draft success, lol. Vs Joe Douglas who worked under Ozzie Newsome for 15 years, and was part of Ravens and Eagles super bowl teams.

Saying they’re in the same class is laughably ignorant of the talent pool available in the 31 other teams.

Smith can stay with a role in the scouting dept. We can do better at the GM spot.
How can you make the last claim from the couch?

Old 12-10-2018, 09:39 PM   #52
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:

Read JP Finlay’s article (the 1st of the 3)he ran this years draft.
Do you not like:

Payne
Guice
Christian
Apke
Settle
Hamilton
Stohman
Quinn

It’s shitty luck most got hurt but the jury is out and the draft is not if it is successful for 1-3 years. I think it’s a pretty solid draft.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:13 PM   #53
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Do you not like:

Payne
Guice
Christian
Apke
Settle
Hamilton
Stohman
Quinn

It’s shitty luck most got hurt but the jury is out and the draft is not if it is successful for 1-3 years. I think it’s a pretty solid draft.
Too early. Happy w Payne, but I should be, he’s a 1st. Thrilled with Guice. And Settle looks like a rotational guy I can count on. The rest looks like special teams to me, but like I said, far too early.

Same can be said of Kyle Smith. I want more experience and a longer track record with well-run organizations. I look at his experience being mostly with the toxic culture in Allen’s shop and I see it as a negative. It’s not his fault but it’s still what he knows.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:19 AM   #54
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Too early. Happy w Payne, but I should be, he’s a 1st. Thrilled with Guice. And Settle looks like a rotational guy I can count on. The rest looks like special teams to me, but like I said, far too early.

Same can be said of Kyle Smith. I want more experience and a longer track record with well-run organizations. I look at his experience being mostly with the toxic culture in Allen’s shop and I see it as a negative. It’s not his fault but it’s still what he knows.
Yeah looks like a typical NFL draft to me. 1st round should be a starter and 2nd round should be able to start or get decent playing time. 3rd and 4th round off the bench everyone else is a warm body.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:31 AM   #55
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I think growing up under a good organization doesn't necessarily predict future success Schneed. You make a good point that the culture around here is toxic and I'm not sure Kyle Smith has benefitted from that, but OTOH look at how many of Bill B's former assistants and FO guys (like Pioli) haven't panned out elsewhere.

I don't have a suggestion as to where we can find the next NFL prodigy either, why does it have to be so hard?
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:41 AM   #56
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
The biggest reason to clean house, including Smith, is he’s yet another one of these people that Bruce Allen knows, so he went with what was comfortable. He knew AJ Smith and AJ said hey give my son a shot.

I want all sense of cronyism gone from Redskins Park. I want a culture of what you know, not who you know. I don’t like how everyone is familiar with everyone, it breeds a culture of comfort. There are very good candidates out there, we just need to look.
I lean with this way of thinking...we need more merit/results based accountability...not Doug William is an ex Redskins give him a job or the Smith link with a comfy job based on who his dad was...

I'm with S10 on this one...go outside the org with an established guy who had to work his way up and learned in a solid run front office.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:09 AM   #57
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

https://insidethepylon.com/nfl/front...ndidate-study/

here is a nice lil blurb about gm candidates. s10 guy is on there..
Old 12-11-2018, 08:13 AM   #58
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Do you not like:

Payne
Guice
Christian
Apke
Settle
Hamilton
Stohman
Quinn

Payne has been pretty good, actually he's been better than Allen most games (don't get me started on him).

Stroman isn't terrible, Quinn showed promise and Guice has RB1 potential. We will see
Old 12-11-2018, 08:19 AM   #59
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Talking about a draft class this early doesn't make much sense. But I still know Apke was a garbage pick.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:27 AM   #60
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Talking about a draft class this early doesn't make much sense. But I still know Apke was a garbage pick.
I believe we drafted him too early but he was solid special teamer, which is something we need.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote