Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Grade the Draft ... 2009 style

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #16
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Re: Grade the Draft ... 2009 style

This is a really awesome review, thanks for the insight Joe. I was just wondering what Cody Glenn was up to the other day. I think he was the biggest reach of that draft considering limited experience and conversion to a LB, but as you point out no LB really sticks out in the 3rd round.

Marko Mitchell was my faviort player of our 2009 draft but i think he is pretty much out of football at this point. Maybe we released Gaffney to pick him back up?

Also, while not drafted, Chase Dainels was a rookie signing that year. He already has 1 superbowl.

Advertisements
Old 05-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #17
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I think it will be more interesting to review our 2010 draft next year since that's the first of the current regime
I don't think 2010 was very good. Riley looks like a good player. Williams has probably underachieved. Other than that is there anyone else that's contributing? 2011 looks like more of a legit draft class.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #18
Bubba305-ST21-
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
If Orakpo was on GB, he would lead the league in sacks and could be in the running for defensive player of the year.
Matthews is good but benefits greatly from playing on a much better defense.
i agree completely, hopefully pretty soon he will be putting up similar numbers as our defense improves, hes got the ability.
never another.....R.I.P. Sean T #21
Bubba305-ST21- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #19
Kindoy
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Yeah that be cool!

Just don't ever review the 2008 draft, that has to be one of our worst draft ever.
we really messed that one up... 2nd round just gives me nightmares.

Fred Davis is the only saving grace of this draft.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #20
mlmpetert
Playmaker

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...gton-redskins/

Not trying to hijack or nothin, but this is a short recent review of 08, 09 and 10.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:22 AM   #21
That Guy
Living Legend

great info - thanks!

and i agree, i wasn't super happy about that draft at the time, but i felt like rak was basically the safest pick in the entire draft, and i was really glad we got him (his measureables, stats, etc pre-draft were all exactly what you'd want to see in a productive DE with absolutely nothing missing, though nothing crazy either like 4.4 40s).

since pass rushers seem to bust about 50% of the time, even early, safe is GOOD.

and reed HAS been here forever. we got him round 6 pick 4 and it was a steal to get a 120 tackle/year guy that late (ncaa high stat guys (over multiple years) tend to be productive in the NFL, though his 40 times told you he'd be too slow to be a reliable starter). other high ncaa stat guys (NOT one year wonders) are stephen tulloch, chris cooley (100+ catches), etc, etc. It tends to map well, though you've got to look at drill numbers to make sure NFL speed isn't going to be an issue.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #22
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Man, how did we miss on Webb? That would have been nice given how he turned out. Good thread JoeRedskins.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:58 AM   #23
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Cool thread Joe!! Your analysis is dialed in, but I also wonder if Matthews benefited from a better defense? I believe GB's defense regressed in 2011...did Matthews production remain similar to his '09 and '10 seasons?
Old 05-02-2012, 04:36 AM   #24
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Cool thread Joe!! Your analysis is dialed in, but I also wonder if Matthews benefited from a better defense? I believe GB's defense regressed in 2011...did Matthews production remain similar to his '09 and '10 seasons?
he had less sacks than orakpo.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:01 AM   #25
Luxorreb
^21^

2008 draft was nail in the coffin. Still trying to recover from Malcom Kelly, Devin Thomas 2nd rounders. Drafting Cousins isn't a mistake.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:04 AM   #26
Luxorreb
^21^

2008 draft was nail in the coffin. Still trying to recover from Malcom Kelly, Devin Thomas 2nd rounders. Drafting Cousins isn't a mistake.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #27
VegasSkinsFan
Impact Rookie

Cousins is a crap shoot just like any other qb. I like the pick as well but there is a reason that all of the other nfl teams passed on him three times. Best case is he plays well in the preseason and maybe the last game in 2013 if we have playoffs wrapped up and we get a draf pick for him
VegasSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #28
GusFrerotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Typical Vinny draft, short on picks and all the bang comes from the top.
That is how it usually works for any franchise, any given year. If a player isn't picked by the 5th round, he usually is just a serviceable senior that started for a Div I program, but wasn't really anything to write home about. Our drafts have sucked in the recent past because like you said we had few picks, but we also had drafts where we wasted picks on positions that were tight already. Remember when under Gibbs, Vinny and co. drafted 3 RBs, when we already had CP, and two rather good backups. We needed offensive linemen or defensive linemen, and he got us 3 RBs that we didn't need. Also, when your prize first round QB(JC), ends up like the last prize first round QB(Ramsey) you are going to be thrown for a loop for a while. IF Griffin turns out to be the bust of the century we will have effectively shot ourselves in the foot.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #29
GusFrerotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasSkinsFan View Post
Cousins is a crap shoot just like any other qb. I like the pick as well but there is a reason that all of the other nfl teams passed on him three times. Best case is he plays well in the preseason and maybe the last game in 2013 if we have playoffs wrapped up and we get a draf pick for him

Keep Cousins. Cousins isn't meant to be a starter. Get with the program now. Beck sucked. Grossman sucks. Grossman is a slow ass in every sense of the word. Do you really want a slow ass to take over if Robert gets banged up and has to miss a game or two, or three? Cousins is a good backup, with a good arm, and isn't Rex Grossman or John Beck. Cousins is a definite upgrade for our QB corp. Like somone said in the Cousins draft thread, he is our new Gus. If Robert goes down ,or in the unlikely event he can't make the adjustment to the pro game, hopefully Kirk can come in and at least make us competitive.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #30
GusFrerotte

We might lose Cousins if there is a market for him after his contract is up, but unless he turns out to be a bust himself, keep him. Grossman's days are numbered as a Skin, and then you will have to find two QBs if you dump him and Kirk after 2013.