Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

The Bad News Thread

Parking Lot

Old 03-24-2014, 07:37 PM   #16
mbedner3420
The Starter

Re: The Bad News Thread

That's too bad, that dude was a redskins fan...
mbedner3420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-25-2014, 06:22 AM   #17
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

I once worked for the Misfits. Did a couple of tours with GWAR. I got to know him pretty well at that time. This was about 14 years ago. He was really really nice. Yes - a huge Redskins fan. I still have a gwar poster they all signed. He wrote "go Skins" and signed it Oderus. Ill try and dig it out and post a pic of it.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:12 PM   #18
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

I like what I do, but unfortunately it has it's drawbacks. I work in a environment that encourages incompetency and laziness. Take this guy for instance. His name is Al. Al is currently sleeping at his desk and has the phone up to hear ear to pass it off like he's on the phone. The pictures were taken at 11am and were distributed to a few co-workers via email. The email went out a hour and a half later and Al was still in the same position, not having moved a muscle. Al also likes to drink, and has been seen going in and out of the ABC store next door during business hours. Al also likes to come into work late (9ish/10ish) and leave a hour or so early as well. He doesn't document any of that time on time sheets. That red solo cup on the desk has been known to contain liquor that was poured and devoured in the work parking lot.

How is Al allowed to do stuff like this? Well, when you have a boss that is incompetent and lazy as he is, it's easy to see how this is allowed to go on. Our boss has a high school degree, and has ascended the ranks to be a IT director making 130,000. My entire life I've heard about how if you work hard and bust your ass, you can ascend to the top. Truth is, it's a myth for the most part. More often than not, it's the incompetent people being promoted while the hard working people are left in place to do the work.

Our boss is a perfect example of this. He has no idea about technology, nor could he assist us or fix any network issues if they came up. He parrots tech buzz words he hears, and sounds like a complete dumbass in doing it. I can't begin to tell you how stupid he sounds when talking to other engineers/vendors when discussing IT. What he is good at is bullshitting, telling fishing stories and taking the good ole boys out on his boat.

The thing that bothers me the most isn't the fact he's not qualified to be our boss, but the fact that he allows guys like Al and others to do what they do. Not only that, but we have another guy who disappears during the day to take the state van for personal use. This guy has been running a side computer repair business during the day, and using the state van to run errands for his family and side business. The mileage log in the van is 99% fabricated, and our boss has been notified and still has done nothing. Did I mention he misses lots and lots of time and has yet to record it on the monthly time sheets?

Finally is our wiring manager (who's under our boss as well). This guy is making 93K, and shows up pretty much when he wants. He's been caught stealing stuff on camera, and only made to put it back. When he's called on the cell phone, you can hear the lawnmower in the background because he's at home cutting grass while on work. Call him other times and you can hear the Lowe's overhead system paging somebody. He was out a couple months with heart surgery, and finally was released to come back to work. He didn't bother showing up to work, nor would he answer our boss (and his) calls or emails. All this while he's getting paid 93k. Also another one that doesn't document any time on the time sheets. Did I mention he steals any unused copper on school projects? (a crime)

Now our boss is going to Vegas for a week (after being out the week previous) to go hang with vendors and taking free meals/drinks/etc while strictly against the rules.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty

Last edited by NC_Skins; 04-04-2014 at 12:30 AM.
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:37 PM   #19
Schneed10
A Dude

I think your judgment in posting these photos on the internet tells me all that I need to know about your potential for management.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:59 PM   #20
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I think your judgment in posting these photos on the internet tells me all that I need to know about your potential for management.
This post had me laughing my ass off. Nice

Nc, I sympathize with ur situation, I don't know how the dynamics work in your office but drinking on the job is a non negotiator in most places.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:01 PM   #21
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

On Tuesday we were told that all salaries will be frozen until at least June, and that the outlook for the business looks dim for the rest of the year, so that's awesome. A while back we had a wage freeze that lasted for over a year. I stuck with the company because that was when the economy was in the toilet.
That was followed up by more meetings regarding the fact that one of our company's biggest clients, which happens to be the only account I work on, wants to bring most of their marketing efforts in-house. 90% of my job could just vanish in no time.
Then yesterday I had my yearly review and while my bosses love me and acknowledged the fact that I do about 80% of my team's work it didn't make me feel better seeing as the possibility for a raise is off the table. They talked about wanting to get me more training so that when the client does, for all intents and purposes, leave I'll still have a place here (I definitely don't think they told my other team members that), but at this point I have no faith in my company.

I'm as busy as I've ever been trying to keep up with client demands to the point that I can't even really train to expand my knowledge base (not that that matters seeing as my company doesn't seem to know what 'career advancement' means), but I also know that this account is a huge sinking ship. No one is happy because we've been doing more with less for so long that everyone is burned out.

I know I desperately need to look for a new job but after being with the same company for over six years I feel so entrenched here that I'm having a hard time even starting the process. My bosses basically told me that I am completely vital to the work that our team does but I still feel like I have nothing impressive to put on my resume so I've resisted updating it. Really it comes down to the old "devil you know" scenario I guess.

Sorry that this post was all over the place - I'm just venting while I stall out until 5pm so I can get the F out of here for a few days.
Bottom line - Bad News is that my crappy company can't give me a raise that I kind of need, and even though my bosses love me they can't really promote me because there's no where to go within our division. I really need to find a new job but I'm having a hard time getting a search started. Shit.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:05 PM   #22
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:

For one, you don't know my capabilities nor what I would do if I were management. Secondly, I wouldn't have to post pictures or call out anybody on the internet because this kind of shit wouldn't be going on under my watch. So I would make a bad manager because I call out the people that allow it to happen? That's like when people attacked Edward Snowden for exposing what the government was doing. Oh, let's blame the guy who ratted them out.

Lastly, I don't give a fuck. I'm sick and tired of sitting back watching these guys with very good salaries take advantage of the state and other co-workers.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 03-28-2014, 06:47 PM   #23
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:

Agree .
Old 03-28-2014, 06:54 PM   #24
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
For one, you don't know my capabilities nor what I would do if I were management. Secondly, I wouldn't have to post pictures or call out anybody on the internet because this kind of shit wouldn't be going on under my watch. So I would make a bad manager because I call out the people that allow it to happen? That's like when people attacked Edward Snowden for exposing what the government was doing. Oh, let's blame the guy who ratted them out.

Lastly, I don't give a fuck. I'm sick and tired of sitting back watching these guys with very good salaries take advantage of the state and other co-workers.

I know you are going to get mad but here it comes anyway. Two wrongs don't make a right and what you did (are doing) is wrong, you have no idea what is going on in this mans life and unless you do you should stay out of it ,or at least keep it in office .Sorry but trying to justify it and say they are taking advantage of others or the state is BS.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:56 PM   #25
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Agree .
That doesn't put Schneed in good company.

Who gives a fuck about the pictures? It's a small site dedicated to Redskins. You act as if I've posted this to Reddit or something. Nobody here knows that guy.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:28 PM   #26
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

As NC_Skins says, it's a Redskins site, not a National newspaper.

Why is it always the 'victim' who is to blame?

I'd guess if your company is that corrupt and dysfunctional you'd be better off getting the fuck out. It could be worse, however. They've yet to hire GiantOne.

Last edited by RedskinRat; 03-28-2014 at 08:18 PM.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:05 PM   #27
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:

You work for the state? Jesus, effing amazing.

Artmonk, that effing sux man. My neighbor been dealing with his company with same issues for the last 2 years. Bush/Obama economy man, fuckin sucks.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:11 PM   #28
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
You work for the state? Jesus, effing amazing.

Artmonk, that effing sux man. My neighbor been dealing with his company with same issues for the last 2 years. Bush/Obama economy man, fuckin sucks.
I thought the same thing.

NC, I think the issue is posting pics online with identifying and derogatory comments anywhere on the internet are just setting yourself up for failure.

Hypothetical, one of your co-workers develops a grudge against either you, or the guy in the chair. They know you are a Skins fan and lurk on the site to see if they can find something. From there they take that post and report you. You have just opened yourself,and the state, up to a whole other level of legal implications. Even without the pictures you some action might be possible, but that guy could go after you for libel, and as you know very well, the truth doesn't always win out.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:29 PM   #29
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:

I'm making no comment on your work situation, which by all rights sounds like it's deserving of the bad news thread. I feel for you on that. But I'm in a management position, and if I found any of my employees posting pictures on the internet of the workplace, they'd be fired that very day. It's just a big no-no. Can't do it.

As for your situation, that does suck. Bosses need to create a work environment that encourages everyone to pull their weight and then some. Sounds like your boss isn't. Hope you're looking for another place to work where you can make a bigger difference.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:34 PM   #30
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
On Tuesday we were told that all salaries will be frozen until at least June, and that the outlook for the business looks dim for the rest of the year, so that's awesome. A while back we had a wage freeze that lasted for over a year. I stuck with the company because that was when the economy was in the toilet.
That was followed up by more meetings regarding the fact that one of our company's biggest clients, which happens to be the only account I work on, wants to bring most of their marketing efforts in-house. 90% of my job could just vanish in no time.
Then yesterday I had my yearly review and while my bosses love me and acknowledged the fact that I do about 80% of my team's work it didn't make me feel better seeing as the possibility for a raise is off the table. They talked about wanting to get me more training so that when the client does, for all intents and purposes, leave I'll still have a place here (I definitely don't think they told my other team members that), but at this point I have no faith in my company.

I'm as busy as I've ever been trying to keep up with client demands to the point that I can't even really train to expand my knowledge base (not that that matters seeing as my company doesn't seem to know what 'career advancement' means), but I also know that this account is a huge sinking ship. No one is happy because we've been doing more with less for so long that everyone is burned out.

I know I desperately need to look for a new job but after being with the same company for over six years I feel so entrenched here that I'm having a hard time even starting the process. My bosses basically told me that I am completely vital to the work that our team does but I still feel like I have nothing impressive to put on my resume so I've resisted updating it. Really it comes down to the old "devil you know" scenario I guess.

Sorry that this post was all over the place - I'm just venting while I stall out until 5pm so I can get the F out of here for a few days.
Bottom line - Bad News is that my crappy company can't give me a raise that I kind of need, and even though my bosses love me they can't really promote me because there's no where to go within our division. I really need to find a new job but I'm having a hard time getting a search started. Shit.
Wow, that is bad news. What kind of work are you in, AMD?

Let me, some guy on the internet, encourage you to get up the gumption to put your resume out there and look for other opportunities. If you latch on at a place with a bit more growth potential, it won't take you long for your work ethic to make an impact. Don't be afraid of the unknown to move out. In this case moving out may be the difference in moving up. You can do that immense effort at your current place, but to some extent it's rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Seems like you know what you're doing. If you go into a new job, just tackle it with the confidence knowing that if you keep up the great work, things will go better at a new place.