Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Looking for advice for a DC trip.

Parking Lot

Old 02-01-2016, 12:04 PM   #1
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Looking for advice for a DC trip.

So this will be a family trip with my wife and daughter.
Probably four days of sightseeing. We will be driving there from Michigan. We will be going in June. ( yes I know, hot and crowded)
The best advice I’ve seen on Trip Advisor is to find a hotel just outside of the city near a subway station and use the subway instead of driving in and out of the city.
Does this sound like a good plan?

I could stay even further out (like Tysons Corners) where the hotels would be cheaper but I don’t want to spend extra time riding the subway.

Also looking for advice for dinner/dinners near the main drag (Smithsonian and memorials)
I would like to see some of the old colonial style pubs maybe any famous ones.

Advertisements
Old 02-01-2016, 12:32 PM   #2
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Looking for advice for a DC trip.

Alvin, I would not stay way out in the Fairfax county. it has really nothing to offer except endless suburbia. Staying near a subway station is smart. My advice would be staying on the Virginia side in Rossyln or down a little in Pentagon City so you can hop over on major bridges (Uber or Cab) or take the Subway. I like the Rosyln area cause its near Georgetown. Those areas are close to all the Kids attractions/monuments as well.

If your looking for old colonial style stuff...look in Old Town Alexandria which is little farther south of Rossyln/Pentagon City area.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:38 PM   #3
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I definitely agree on not driving in and out of the city. Even though Metro is always having issues I always prefer it to driving in the city. If you want to stay close Rosslyn/Pentagon City/Arlington are good places, Alexandria as well although you will spend some time on Metro going in. Easiest way to get into DC is to take yellow line across the river instead of riding the blue line around. It will save you a lot of time but if you get on at blue line you will have to transfer. Also something to think about, Metro doesn't do day passes or week passes like NYC does, and if you are riding during non-rush hour there is a good chance you will experience delays.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:57 PM   #4
Giantone
Gamebreaker

I might be the only one but I think you should stay in the city.Parking is getting pretty bad in the city and this way you get to the hotel and park it,take a cab,uber,or metro to where ever it is if not just hoof it.Finding spots for dinner would be easier too but again that is just me.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:33 PM   #5
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
I might be the only one but I think you should stay in the city.Parking is getting pretty bad in the city and this way you get to the hotel and park it,take a cab,uber,or metro to where ever it is if not just hoof it.Finding spots for dinner would be easier too but again that is just me.
Not at $300.00 a night...no freakin way....
Old 02-02-2016, 07:40 AM   #6
That Guy
Living Legend

dc traffic is really bad and outside of paid parking garages, there aren't any spaces in DC, so metro is definitely the way to go.

metro does do day and week passes, not sure where mooby's coming from with that:
Metro - Fares - Purchase - SmarTrip Card & Pass Options

not cheap though. i remember when day passes were under $5. getting old.

hit air and space, natural history, anything else is up to you. lots of people like the holocaust museum, but if you've watched a ton of the history channel (when it was 24/7 ww2 docus) there may not be much new there.

as for food, i can't really help there. don't eat at the museums though, unless $12 happy meals sounds like a good deal.

outside of DC there are a lot of great parks/hiking/boat stuff/etc depending on what you want to do.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:22 AM   #7
over the mountain
Playmaker

1. walk M Street of georgetown. if the weather allows.

2. i have not been yet, but i heard the burgers at the Diplomat are really awesome. its in dupont circle, a good neighborhood to walk around. is the brickskeller still around, i used to go as a youngin, one of the places that focused on craft beer back in the 90s.

3. bens chili bowl is alright ...

4. ohhs and ahhs - down the street from ben's is awesome soul food. the best soul food i have had, hands down and ive had soul food from all over .. willie maes etc.

its a thin hole in the wall place and you might feel out of place but its awesome.

5. five guys burgers - i dont think they are up in michigan but this place has awesome burgers.

6. the capital grill or prime rib - really expensive so i highly recommend you do lunch, dont have to wear a formal jacket etc .... $20-30 for lunch entree like lobster, steak etc

7. nats game - if they are at home. you can get bens chili bowl there so 2 birds 1 stone.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:35 PM   #8
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

I second that and if you want to do something a little expensive and VERY different, check this out:

The Russia House was so freaking awesome. We went with a group of 8 and said, "Hey, let's each do a vodka tasting!" What you don't realize is the tasting is literally a full SHOT of vodka. They lined up 5 (MAYBE 7?) shots of different Russian vodka in front of us and it was hilarious and delicious.

It feels like you're smack in the middle of Moscow. russiahouseloungedc
Old 02-04-2016, 02:43 PM   #9
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
dc traffic is really bad and outside of paid parking garages, there aren't any spaces in DC, so metro is definitely the way to go.

metro does do day and week passes, not sure where mooby's coming from with that:
Metro - Fares - Purchase - SmarTrip Card & Pass Options

not cheap though. i remember when day passes were under $5. getting old.

hit air and space, natural history, anything else is up to you. lots of people like the holocaust museum, but if you've watched a ton of the history channel (when it was 24/7 ww2 docus) there may not be much new there.

as for food, i can't really help there. don't eat at the museums though, unless $12 happy meals sounds like a good deal.

outside of DC there are a lot of great parks/hiking/boat stuff/etc depending on what you want to do.
Whoops, it appears I'm wrong on that. I had no idea they were doing that, last time I looked (admittedly it was years ago) I couldn't find anything and I never heard an announcement about it so I assumed wrong.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:27 AM   #10
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Apparently this trip is turning into a elaborate reason to get some Georgetown Cupcakes.
Are they that big of a deal out there?
Old 03-10-2016, 01:42 PM   #11
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Is that like code for....cheerleader?
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:58 PM   #12
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Georgetown Cupcakes is overrated. Sprinkles down the street is better. This coming from a fat kid.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:07 PM   #13
kct1975
The Starter

Personally I highly recommend both the International Spy Museum and the National Portrait Gallery
Old 12-27-2017, 12:42 PM   #14
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Heading down to the motherland for an overnight tomorrow. Staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Georgetown. If I see Bruce Allen im going to egg him. ✌️
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:41 PM   #15
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Heading down to the motherland for an overnight tomorrow. Staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Georgetown. If I see Bruce Allen im going to egg him. ✌️
Enjoy!