Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

2016 Combine

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-24-2016, 10:46 AM   #31
30gut
Playmaker

Re: 2016 Combine

I agree the real question is the permanence of what they learn. I know many NFL and other professional athletes include speed work as part of their offseason training.

I disagree that the training for the 40 is a waste time. I also disagree that kinesiology is fucking nonsense.

Cheers.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-24-2016, 11:13 AM   #32
30gut
Playmaker

Transcript of Mayock's conference call:

February 23, 2016

An Interview With:
NFL Network Analyst
MIKE MAYOCK

https://nflcommunications.com/Publis...ll_2_23_16.pdf

Jumping straight to the Redskins:

Q. Scot McCloughan obviously had a great draft last year as his first year as the Washington Redskins' general manager. Can you kind of talk about where he could go at 21 overall, and also of course with Kirk Cousins being the quarterback, do you think he's actually the future and also if the Redskins could possibly take another quarterback in this draft?

MIKE MAYOCK: I do believe Kirk Cousins is the quarterback of the Redskins for the future, and I think a lot of that is that philosophically he aligns perfectly with what Jay Gruden wants to do. Yeah, I do believe he's the guy. Could they take a quarterback in the middle round? Absolutely they could take a quarterback in the middle rounds. Scot McCloughan and Jay Gruden are tied at the hip, which is the first and most important criteria. Their draft last year revealed who they are. Brandon Scherff was the first pick, big, tough guy; Preston Smith was the second pick, another big, strong, tough outside linebacker type guy; Matt Jones, a big, thick tailback.
Scotty McCloughan likes the bigger, tougher guys. That's who he wants to be, a big, physical team.
Now, at 21 I think one of the biggest needs is in that defensive line, and it's a defensive line draft. We've already talked about that. He could get defensive linemen second, third, even fourth round, so would he look beyond that knowing there's security in defensive linemen deep in the draft? Would he look at say a corner at 21? To me that is a possibility. He could sit there and say, huh, is this kid from Clemson worth it, Mackensie Alexander at 31, what about Eli Apple, what about Artie Burns. I think there's some interesting corners that would come into that conversation, also.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:36 AM   #33
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post

I also disagree that kinesiology is fucking nonsense.

Cheers.
no one is saying it is.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:03 AM   #34
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
no one is saying it is.
Suffice it to say we disagree, apparently very strongly on your part that training for the 40 is a waste of time. I'm truthfully not exactly sure what Schneed thought is fucking nonsense. But, we disagree. I didn't intend for the discussion take the turn it did and I apologize for my role there.

Anyhow here is some combine stuff:

Links to audiovault for Scotty and Jay:

ESPN 980 Audio Vault - Play Now

5 Takeaways: Scot McCloughan At The Combine

5 Takeaways: Scot McCloughan At The Combine

"This year we had 117 juniors come out, or underclassmen. Last year was 65. So that plays into it, too,” McCloughan said. “But that’s scary. That’s why it’s so important to be here and get measurable, get the medical, get the interview stuff with the juniors, the underclassmen. But it’s a strong draft, very strong.”

5 Takeaways: Jay Gruden At The Combine

5 Takeaways: Jay Gruden At The Combine

“And he’s still in the process of thinking about it. I think he’s learning towards playing, I would guess right now. But we’ll have to wait and see. He’s put a lot of good years in. Body was a little bit beat up last year at the end of the year, but I think he’s starting to recover, feel a lot better so I think his mind will change a little bit as he gets closer to time to kick off.”

“Keenan finished off strong for us, was good in the locker room,” Gruden said. “But I think he’s going to hit free agency and probably land somewhere else.”
Old 02-25-2016, 09:15 AM   #35
30gut
Playmaker

The writing was on the wall for Keenan and per Jay's comments re-signing him don't seem like a priority.

Whether it was injury and/or scheme Keenan did struggle. But man, Keenan is a talented dude...would love it if he could stick around and compete and hopefully make a leap forward next year and chalk up last season to slump.

Sounds like Hatch could be back, I'm all for that.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:05 PM   #36
Schneed10
A Dude

40 times don't tell you anything you can't already see by watching tape. When good scouts watch tape they can see who plays fast enough. They're not looking for who can reach a higher top speed in a straight line, they're looking for guys who get to spots faster than anybody else.

Let's say you're at the combine and you're expecting a LB to run a 4.9 and he runs a 4.6. All that should tell you is that maybe you need to go back and watch the guy's tape again. If he's faster than you thought at getting to spots, maybe you bump him up on your board. But if he's slow getting to the spots then you discount the 40 time as track-generated nonsense and leave him nice and low on your board.

In other words, the 40 time shouldn't be telling you anything you don't (or couldn't) already know.

"I'm looking for football players."
- Scot McCloughan

So you watch football games to find football players. The combine is stupid.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:08 PM   #37
Schneed10
A Dude

OK, stupid's too strong a word. It serves a purpose like I said in double checking what your first impression was when you watched tape.

I'll amend it to say "the combine is of very limited value to scouts."
Old 02-25-2016, 12:10 PM   #38
Schneed10
A Dude

And the interviews. That's very worthwhile, but the on field and drills are limited.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:24 PM   #39
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
40 times don't tell you anything you can't already see by watching tape. When good scouts watch tape they can see who plays fast enough. They're not looking for who can reach a higher top speed in a straight line, they're looking for guys who get to spots faster than anybody else.

Let's say you're at the combine and you're expecting a LB to run a 4.9 and he runs a 4.6. All that should tell you is that maybe you need to go back and watch the guy's tape again. If he's faster than you thought at getting to spots, maybe you bump him up on your board. But if he's slow getting to the spots then you discount the 40 time as track-generated nonsense and leave him nice and low on your board.

In other words, the 40 time shouldn't be telling you anything you don't (or couldn't) already know.

- Scot McCloughan

agreed. you exercised very well today...stock up. Small hands, stock down.

This is the type of bullshit that makes me laugh:

Arkansas QB Trying To Stretch His Lil' Baby Hands In Order To Boost Draft Stock

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:25 PM   #40
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:

- Scot McCloughan

I would suggest it also works in reverse. If a guy plays like 4.6 but times out at 4.9, perhaps you go back and see if the level of competition or scheme was making him look better. If so, maybe you knock him back a round or two.

Same principle though. Look at the tape. Confirm what you see with measurables. When the two are out of whack, adjust accordingly (which may include no adjustment).

Also, just read recently that invitees are getting very savvy about the interview process and that, because of that, it is harder and harder to get good information out of this once very useful evaluation tool.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:46 PM   #41
SCRedskinsFan
Impact Rookie

Quote:
OK, stupid's too strong a word. It serves a purpose like I said in double checking what your first impression was when you watched tape.

I'll amend it to say "the combine is of very limited value to scouts."
Good example:

TEST: 40 YARD SPRINT ... Jerry Rice timed in 4.59 and was considered to have marginal speed for a starting NFL wide ...
SCRedskinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:19 PM   #42
Defensewins
Playmaker

I am of the opinion the NFL Combine is mostly a lot of fluff, hot air - Bull Shit.
But there is a narrow purpose for it and our GM Scot McCloughan stated it perfectly:

"This year we had 117 juniors come out, or underclassmen. Last year was 65. So that plays into it, too,” McCloughan said. “But that’s scary. That’s why it’s so important to be here and get measurable, get the medical, get the interview stuff with the juniors, the underclassmen. But it’s a strong draft, very strong.”

Medical exams, interviews and up close eye ball test is what this is really about. The rest is made for TV BS. If a players 40 time, bench press or other measurable changes your draft board, you are not a good GM. What they do on the field and against who (game film) is much more important than a Mike Mamula type work out.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:57 PM   #43
Schneed10
A Dude

Yeah there's what the fan thinks the combine's purpose is, and then there's what real GMs think the combine's purpose is. Getting to know the player and measure height and weight, get medical checks. Very valuable. But knowing how good a player is, you watch college football games for that.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:50 PM   #44
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigant View Post
robert nkemdiche , and reggie ragland
I'm a fan of Ragland. He has good tape, comes from a team that runs NFL style defense and has produced quality LBs before. Ragland is versatile; he can play ILB and even has some OLB/edge rush ability at the Senior Bowl he played OLB.

Ragland's weight (he's reportedly gonna show up lighter then he was at the Senior Bowl), explosion and agility numbers are gonna be factors in whether he's available at 21 or long gone.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:04 PM   #45
30gut
Playmaker

Player im on the look out for tomorrow: Procise tomorrow